• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Catholic School Will Fire Gay Teacher to Avoid Upsetting the Church

Skwim

Veteran Member
"It was just last week when Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School in Indianapolis decided it would rather cut its ties with the Catholic Church than fire a teacher in a same-sex marriage. The move was welcomed by people, both in and out of the Catholic Church. It’s about damn time a school under the Catholic umbrella took the compassionate approach; Catholic dogma be damned.

(To be sure, the decision was a little easier only because the school received no money from the Catholic Church itself. It’s sponsored by the USA Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus. All they lost with their decision was a formal affiliation with the Church.)

Now a different high school in the same archdiocese is taking the more cowardly, but totally expected, route.

Cathedral High School said in a letter yesterday that it would “separate” from a gay teacher… which is their way of saying they’re going to follow Catholic dogma no matter how irrational and indefensible it might be.

In the letter, the Catholic school said Archbishop Charles Thompson “made it clear that Cathedral’s continued employment of a teacher in a public, same-sex marriage would result in our forfeiting our Catholic identity.”

Cathedral says a conversation with the Archdiocese of Indianapolis has been ongoing for the last 22 months.

In the letter, the school also says that not complying with the guidance of the Archdiocese would have made the school lose its nonprofit status and affiliation with the Brothers of the Holy Cross.

The letter make it fairly clear that keeping the gay teacher on staff would’ve been a death sentence for the school. Not only would they lose their Catholic status, they would lose their non-profit status as well. Their hands were tied.

Not that you should feel sorry for them. Despite their claim that this was an “agonizing decision,” it’s not like the Catholic Church sprung its bigotry on them at the last second. Anyone who is Catholic — certainly leaders of a school — must realize that affiliation comes with a set of rules that are indefensible. You are signing up to be part of an organization that condemns LGBTQ relationships, rejects the existence of transgender people, would force women to give birth against their will, refuses to dispense birth control even in situations where it would prevent suffering, and more. To pretend like this situation was anything but a foregone conclusion 22 months ago is completely disingenuous.

The school’s leaders had a chance to show compassion despite the costs. Instead, they chose cruelty."
source

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Outraged?
Write the Pope in Rome.

Then to avoid upset, if you're feeling that, consider doing this instead. Ask yourself why an atheist would seek out "news" reports that put Christians, the church, Jesus, God, in a bad light? And then post them here so as to watch you all reply behind your own bias; anti-theist or theist.

Answer: Because they like it. They feed off of putting a dark light on white light faith. Exclusively, as you'll see in their post history, Christian.

Then ask yourself if it is rational in the least that someone who self-identifies as atheist, denies God exists, or there is proof of any sort of supreme being, to pay any attention at all to articles pertaining to a subject (God) which they themselves first believe does not exist.

Consider this analogy along that line:

Atheist Affirmation: God does not exist!
Atheist Behavior: Look how bad God and his believers look doing this, and this, and this here, and that, and this from a week ago. Thoughts?

God isn't there so we believers are delusional.
OK.
Now consider the delusion of someone who affirms God isn't there and then fixates on putting something that doesn't exist under scrutiny using negative reporting?

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Outraged?
Write the Pope in Rome.

Then to avoid upset, if you're feeling that, consider doing this instead. Ask yourself why an atheist would seek out "news" reports that put Christians, the church, Jesus, God, in a bad light? And then post them here so as to watch you all reply behind your own bias; anti-theist or theist.

Answer: Because they like it. They feed off of putting a dark light on white light faith. Exclusively, as you'll see in their post history, Christian.

Then ask yourself if it is rational in the least that someone who self-identifies as atheist, denies God exists, or there is proof of any sort of supreme being, to pay any attention at all to articles pertaining to a subject (God) which they themselves first believe does not exist.

Atheist Behavior: Look how bad God and his believers look doing this, and this, and this here, and that, and this from a week ago. Thoughts?

OK.
Now consider the delusion of someone who affirms God isn't there and then fixates on putting something that doesn't exist under scrutiny using negative reporting?
I can’t really speak for atheists since I’m not one, but I can’t help but suspect your answer to your own question is the product of wishful thinking.
Why should an atheist not stand up for the rights of the LGBT community to be employed? And since when do JWs consider Catholicism to be a “white light Faith”?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This is not the first time and it's unlikely to be the last time that the Jesuits and regional bishops that have a more traditional bent may clash. Most American Jesuits have at least one ph.d. in their educational background, and they tend to be more liberal in their theological and secular orientations. OTOH, many of the older bishops tend to be more traditional.

I hope the Jesuits refuse to comply and let it go to the Vatican if need be.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Ask yourself why an atheist would seek out "news" reports that put Christians, the church, Jesus, God, in a bad light? And then post them here so as to watch you all reply behind your own bias; anti-theist or theist.
Glad to see you agree their actions put them in a bad light. And nice to see we're on the same page.:thumbsup:

As for why an atheist might want to seek out news reports that do just that, my guess is that it exposes the Catholic church's hypocrisy. But not being an atheist this is just a guess.

OOPS! You must have talked to one because you already know the answer. Could have said so in the beginning rather than waste my time answering.

No it isn't rational, which is why the vast majority don't believe god doesn't exist. Most contend that atheism is not a disbelief in god(s) or a denial of god(s); it is a lack of belief in god(s). If you don't understand the difference ask around. I'm sure someone among your Christian friends will know.

So, what is this analogy here?

OK.
Don't necessarily buy your first premise at all. :)

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member

1. The above is not an analogy.
  2. What happened here does not make God look bad, just some of His followers.

Things like supporting slavery make god look bad. It's OK for me, an atheist to say that. It's not indicative that I believe in God. But you do. So, in order to communicate with you about your beliefs, it is sometimes necessary to comment using terms relatable to you.

I don't believe in witches. However, when discussing The Wizard of OZ, it should be acceptable for me to refer to Glinda as the Good Witch.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Look, I hate homophobia and the church, but it has to be asked; why the hell would they want to work for them in the first place?

Next we're going to hear about a black man being fired from a Ku Klux Klan owned company called Combustible Cross Co.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Look, I hate homophobia and the church, but it has to be asked; why the hell would they want to work for them in the first place?

Next we're going to hear about a black man being fired from a Ku Klux Klan owned company called Combustible Cross Co.
Understood, but maybe when your back is up against the wall and your kids are crying for food any job is better than no job at all.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Or, consider, it has nothing to do with atheism but rather lots of people assume someone is a good person just because they are Christian, and this myth must be laid to rest.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
  1. The above is not an analogy.
  2. What happened here does not make God look bad, just some of His followers.
Things like supporting slavery make god look bad. It's OK for me, an atheist to say that. It's not indicative that I believe in God. But you do. So, in order to communicate with you about your beliefs, it is sometimes necessary to comment using terms relatable to you.

I don't believe in witches. However, when discussing The Wizard of OZ, it should be acceptable for me to refer to Glinda as the Good Witch.
True. If you're 4.
Your red herring post is meaningless.

Now, to the facts as pertains to those who don't hate the God they first claim isn't real, nor hate Christians who are.

Homosexuality

The homosexual teacher in this story knew full well what they were entering into. They're seeking to be a cause. They'll lose.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Now, to the facts as pertains to those who don't hate the God they first claim isn't real, nor hate Christians who are.
Actually, those Christians hate god more than anybody else, and they just fired Jesus from his job (Matthew 25:40-45).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
why the hell would they want to work for them in the first place?
We can't ask, and we certainly can't assume. But it is Indiana, they aren't too keen on the idea of LGBT rights or equality, but lots and lots of Hoosiers do like the idea of being gay or trans is a just reason for firing someone. Maybe he just hasn't grown tired of fighting and is in a position to do so? Or maybe he thought city protections would extend to him? Too many possible reasons and factors to know, really. It is a really good question though, perhaps the mental health equivalent of asking someone why they eat fast food for lunch daily.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If his situation was one of actual desperation, I don't think he would be so open within an institution he knew was hostile toward his orientation.
Kinda this.
As a graduate of the Indianapolis Catholic school system, those are top notch schools. If a teacher can get a job there, they could doubtless get a (better paying) job with the public school system. The teacher is pushing an agenda, I feel certain.
Of course, I can sympathize with it. But that's not the same as needing the job to support your family, a position many others are in.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
"It was just last week when Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School in Indianapolis decided it would rather cut its ties with the Catholic Church than fire a teacher in a same-sex marriage. The move was welcomed by people, both in and out of the Catholic Church. It’s about damn time a school under the Catholic umbrella took the compassionate approach; Catholic dogma be damned.

(To be sure, the decision was a little easier only because the school received no money from the Catholic Church itself. It’s sponsored by the USA Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus. All they lost with their decision was a formal affiliation with the Church.)

Now a different high school in the same archdiocese is taking the more cowardly, but totally expected, route.

Cathedral High School said in a letter yesterday that it would “separate” from a gay teacher… which is their way of saying they’re going to follow Catholic dogma no matter how irrational and indefensible it might be.

In the letter, the Catholic school said Archbishop Charles Thompson “made it clear that Cathedral’s continued employment of a teacher in a public, same-sex marriage would result in our forfeiting our Catholic identity.”

Cathedral says a conversation with the Archdiocese of Indianapolis has been ongoing for the last 22 months.

In the letter, the school also says that not complying with the guidance of the Archdiocese would have made the school lose its nonprofit status and affiliation with the Brothers of the Holy Cross.
The letter make it fairly clear that keeping the gay teacher on staff would’ve been a death sentence for the school. Not only would they lose their Catholic status, they would lose their non-profit status as well. Their hands were tied.

Not that you should feel sorry for them. Despite their claim that this was an “agonizing decision,” it’s not like the Catholic Church sprung its bigotry on them at the last second. Anyone who is Catholic — certainly leaders of a school — must realize that affiliation comes with a set of rules that are indefensible. You are signing up to be part of an organization that condemns LGBTQ relationships, rejects the existence of transgender people, would force women to give birth against their will, refuses to dispense birth control even in situations where it would prevent suffering, and more. To pretend like this situation was anything but a foregone conclusion 22 months ago is completely disingenuous.

The school’s leaders had a chance to show compassion despite the costs. Instead, they chose cruelty."
source

Whatever happened to don't ask, don't tell.?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Society as a whole improved morally and dumped that crap.
Tom

Maybe I'm stuck back in the 90's, but what was so immoral about neither putting a gay person on the spot by a sexual inquisition nor making anybody feel uncomfortable being around an openly gay co-worker?