• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #13: A Civil, Respectful, and Welcoming Environment

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I very strongly agree with the statement.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I somewhat agree with the statement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I somewhat disagree with the statement.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I strongly disagree with the statement.

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

HonestJoe

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Debates are more effective than discussions when it comes to creating and encouraging a civil, respectful, and welcoming environment on the Forum."
In general terms I think that is a distinction without a difference. The only time it would be significant would be if it was some kind of formally moderated structured debate, which generally doesn't happen here (if at all).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Imagine it's a formal debate. There is a panel of unbiased judges reading your posts. Try to persuade them that you're right.

You mean like a political debates persuading voters.
What, exactly, is the difference between a discussion and a debate? I see a lot of overlap.

What's the point of stating an opinion with no expectation of feedback?
"I like green better than blue." OK. So? What's your point? Do you have a point? What is there to discuss?

"Green is better than blue." OK, now here's an opinion. But again, so what? It's only interesting if we can explore the reasoning behind the opinion; if we can evaluate it, maybe make a decision about the matter. Would this constitute a discussion, or a debate? Both tender and evaluate opinions.

"I agree." "I disagree." "I have no opinion."
Is this a discussion? Is this interesting? Is the purpose to socialize, to learn, or to discern the objectively correct opinion?

I see debate as an open invitation to critic for the process of entertainment or learning. I see discussion as a forum for exchanging ideas with no critic.

Debate Presents an argument, defends the argument and responds to critics.
Discussion Presents an idea seeking the value of the idea from similarly minded person's

joe1776

I try to think of a formal debate such as one might encounter in college. The panel of judges weighs both the argument and the conduct of the debaters. When I can remember to use it, that device eliminates the urge to retaliate in kind when my opponent is the argumentative type dragging down the quality of the debate..

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know to what idea you're referring to, but in general, I think debates in the Talmud worked for a number of reasons:
1. They were all learned, religious Jews.
2. They knew that what they were debating about was for a common goal - figuring out the ultimate truth of the Torah.

That said, even in the Talmud there are several cases of debates blowing up, so even with said reasons, nothing was perfect.

If we look at RF debates, well...
1. There are some people who are more knowledgeable and some who are less.
2. Different, often vastly different, backgrounds.
3. Everyone has their 'own truth' - so debates are more like each side saying 'it's my way or the highway' rather than working together (yes, even through argument) to reach a common goal.
I have gotten some new ideas since my last reply to you on this and will be revisiting the idea of implementing something like this. I'll bring it up in a different thread on a different date. I think I have some ideas that will make it possible.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I try to think of a formal debate such as one might encounter in college. The panel of judges weighs both the argument and the conduct of the debaters. When I can remember to use it, that device eliminates the urge to retaliate in kind when my opponent is the argumentative type dragging down the quality of the debate..

Didn't mean to post that it was accidentally included in the other reply because I realized what you meant. A respond to your response would be.

Formal debates allow for research and limit the materials that can be included but that being said creating emotional response in your opponent can create a win you just can't be that aggressive; whereas, your argument seems to be about stumbling you opponent only. On the RF debates are spur of the moment, lacking both verifiable facts and limitations on subject matter so it is a difficult comparison.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One of the challenges I see in all this is clarifying differences between debate and discussion for all. Often people are using different notions. One side will think it's a debate while the other sees it as a discussion. For this reason I didn't vote on this poll.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I select door #1 even though I certainly don't always do it. Just one of my many faults, sorry to say.

joe1776

Didn't mean to post that it was accidentally included in the other reply because I realized what you meant. A respond to your response would be.

Formal debates allow for research and limit the materials that can be included but that being said creating emotional response in your opponent can create a win you just can't be that aggressive; whereas, your argument seems to be about stumbling you opponent only. On the RF debates are spur of the moment, lacking both verifiable facts and limitations on subject matter so it is a difficult comparison.
You are taking my suggestion further than I intended.

By imagining a panel of unbiased readers, such as exists in a panel of judges, online debaters will focus on the argument and avoid creating the argumentative nonsense and responding to it. I'm not suggesting that the quality in RF can rival a college debate.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think to really have 'debate' threads, there would need to be some structure. I was amazed teaching at university level how few students had any idea of how to debate a topic even in a semi-formal way...that is, stating a topic, the debatants arguing pro or con, critiquing and responding to critiques, and then ending the debate after a couple of rounds back and forth with summary statements...It doesn't have to be formal, but it would sure help if people understood in general the format...

Otherwise, 'debate' is mostly just arguing, imo

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think to really have 'debate' threads, there would need to be some structure. I was amazed teaching at university level how few students had any idea of how to debate a topic even in a semi-formal way...that is, stating a topic, the debatants arguing pro or con, critiquing and responding to critiques, and then ending the debate after a couple of rounds back and forth with summary statements...It doesn't have to be formal, but it would sure help if people understood in general the format...

Yes, a formal debate follows a set, agreed-upon format, as well as having just a few participants, who might typically have a limited amount of time to speak.

Sometimes, newspapers might have different columnists take a "pro" or "con" view on a given topic, so that readers can look at the main or most persuasive arguments from both sides. I also see this in voter information ballots when they review the different propositions, one can find arguments "for" or "against." Generally it's done without any of the participants interacting with each other, although they will usually reference the other side's argument or try to anticipate and address possible counter-arguments.

A lot of it also depends on the issue or topic being discussed or debated. Usually for serious, relevant, and/or important topics of the day, a lot of people might already have an interest in it and are in the process of forming an opinion or taking a stand on it.

If someone introduces a topic which is way out of left field, then people might not be prepared for it - and they may not be interested enough to participate or watch a formal debate on the subject.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I think that's a great idea. You could set it up with a panel of neutral judges that knew something about formal debate, and then the judges could vote privately, and provide a score. When I did that at school, the most challenging aspect was to demonstrate to the judges that they were to judge the debating, not just agree with whichever side they personally favoured.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
“Debate” is a word with such lofty ambitions. It’s so seldom ever realized here that we should instead call it “argument “. Staff could hold argument clinics, eh. @Wu Wei and I could assist.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think that's a great idea. You could set it up with a panel of neutral judges that knew something about formal debate, and then the judges could vote privately, and provide a score. When I did that at school, the most challenging aspect was to demonstrate to the judges that they were to judge the debating, not just agree with whichever side they personally favoured.
Yeah, that was one of the problems I encountered with my students...separating the debate from the content, and themselves from the content...

I'm not sure how such an arrangement could be set up on RF...and personally, I could be happy with just general guidelines and volunteers (I'd be willing to try it) rather than a more formal organization/structure...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
“Debate” is a word with such lofty ambitions. It’s so seldom ever realized here that we should instead call it “argument “. Staff could hold argument clinics, eh. @Wu Wei and I could assist.

CtT2cBvWEAAlN57.jpg

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
This is perhaps the most interesting question put so far in this series of threads.

It is pretty well impossible to give a straight answer.

One of the main differences between debates and discussions in these forums, is who can take part.

Debates, by the rules, are generally highly restricted and those that can join in are usually from the same religion or group of religions. So do little to bring together or divide the general membership at all.

Debates on these forums, as has been previously mentioned. Are largely arguments, or argumentative debates, rather than something an academic would recognise as a debate. That being said, they have a better chance of clearing the air on matters of dogma or the like, than a simple discussion would, as the rules permit you to be more forceful in a debate. However they also provide a greater opportunity to get totally out of hand.

When it comes to discussions . They generally attract a wider audience and even when In a restricted forum, usually allow respectful questions from outsiders. However it would sometimes be hard to tell the difference between a respectful debate, and most discussions. Sailing close to the wind seems to be an art form enjoyed by many members.

Be that as it may, I do not see any alternative but to continue with both. However confusing the distinction can some times be.

As to the question as put....
I sat firmly on the fence.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see debate as an open invitation to critic for the process of entertainment or learning. I see discussion as a forum for exchanging ideas with no critic.

Debate Presents an argument, defends the argument and responds to critics.
Discussion Presents an idea seeking the value of the idea from similarly minded person's
But of what interest is an unconnected, irrelevant idea? "Bears are larger than cats" OK...so?
"Similarly minded": "Yep." "I agree." "Yes, they are." Of what interest is an unexamined unexplored idea?
To discuss an idea is to criticize it; to point out confirmatory or contradictory evidence. To say why you agree or disagree with it.

I'm still seeing a lot of overlap.