• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Im Marni

Marni

Hello. I am here to learn, discuss, and debate

I am not sure if a God exists, but I know it isn't accurately described in any holy books.

I was raised Christian, went to Christian schools, and have studied the bible, and the bible is the best evidence I have come across to help turn people too atheism.

I look forward to helping, annoying, and arguing with people regardless of your beliefs.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I am not sure if a God exists, but I know it isn't accurately described in any holy books.

I was raised Christian, went to Christian schools, and have studied the bible, and the bible is the best evidence I have come across to help turn people too atheism.

I look forward to helping, annoying, and arguing with people regardless of your beliefs.
Welcome to RF :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Hi Marni! You sound like a regular already. :p

Hope you enjoy the site.
:)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Join us for the free breakfast in the staff lounge...
feast-of-satan-750x375.jpeg

Oops!
My mistake...that's supper.
Here's breakfast....
th

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man

Welcome Marni :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome.
Are the books of the bible the best evidence for making atheists, or are they for making agnostics or are you saying there is no difference? I would say the books of the bible are the best evidence that ministry gets away with all sorts of mischief, and they are important for various reasons. They are part of the record of the development of moral theory which is to some people a record of the search for God. That they are used heinously by ministry is unfortunate, but ministry is something which exists across all cultures and in every age that we know of and is always up to something.

'Help turn people' makes it sound like you might be on a mission. I understand but caution politely to be careful not to make a mistake of thinking you can change people. I also went to Christian schools, studied the bible books etc etc. It was a pain, and I'm sorry that we both had to go through that, but as you can see we had similar experiences with different results.

If your goal is to convert members from their faith then you should consider another venue. Its fine if you are an atheist, but the main purpose here is to help people of different faiths to communicate with each other. That is a challenge. What is more important, here, is that people of different religions have help to understand each other rather than to be put in their place or corrected or educated. I hope this doesn't disappoint you too much, but there have to be reasonable goals to have achievable aims.

PureX

Veteran Member

Hi Marni. The depictions of God in the 'holy books' are not intended to be accurate. They are intended to be representational. Like a word represents an idea, or a category of ideas. Like Santa Claus represents the spirit of love and generosity we have toward the people close to us.

Just because we grow up and realize that Santa Claus is a mythical representation, doesn't mean that the spirit of love and generosity toward our loved ones is false, or doesn't exist.

God is an ideal. A complicated ideal that involves the 'great mystery of being', and the big questions that we humans ask, and ponder, in relation to that mystery. And the various stories told and written down in those books about "God" are meant to call us to ponder those questions, and to decide for ourselves what we think the answers might be.

And now here you are ... asking. :)
Only because they don't understand the purpose of representation.
And so do I. Welcome.

Marni

If your goal is to convert members from their faith then you should consider another venue.

I will be explaining the truth, they can choose to ignore it, or not.
The depictions of God in the 'holy books' are not intended to be accurate.

The depictions of God (in holy books) are ancient peoples trying to understand the natural world. They were utterly wrong, but they tried and the result (over the entire globe) is hundreds of different Gods spirits, demons, and religions.

Its obvious once you take into consideration that if you lived 2000 years ago, chances are you couldn't write.
You can't write, or read, or understand large numbers.
You don't know any science (except extremely basic science with a practical application in daily life) etc.
The world is harsh, your life is short.

I see no reason why those people wouldnt believe, whole heartedly, that a God created the world, and treats humans above all else, and will reward them in an afterlife.

Anyway, im off to work.
Unfortunately I wont be back for few weeks.

And if this is my final post. I am happy.

PureX

Veteran Member
I will be explaining the truth, they can choose to ignore it, or not.

The depictions of God (in holy books) are ancient peoples trying to understand the natural world. They were utterly wrong, but they tried and the result (over the entire globe) is hundreds of different Gods spirits, demons, and religions.
Those primitive people understood the natural world better than we do. What they didn't understand was how to protect themselves from it, or how to control it to their own advantage. And that was a mystery that they took very seriously, just as the huge majority of humans still do, today.

To try and comprehend this mystery, and maybe find some means of controlling it, most humans chose to anthropomorphize it, though not all humans did this, nor did they do so to the exclusion of all other conceptual possibilities. But certainly, a great many of us did. And a great many of us are still anthropomorphizing "God" (the great mystery of being) for the sake of simple convenience.
Its obvious once you take into consideration that if you lived 2000 years ago, chances are you couldn't write.
You can't write, or read, or understand large numbers.
You don't know any science (except extremely basic science with a practical application in daily life) etc.
The world is harsh, your life is short.

I see no reason why those people wouldnt believe, whole heartedly, that a God created the world, and treats humans above all else, and will reward them in an afterlife.

Anyway, im off to work.
Unfortunately I wont be back for few weeks.

And if this is my final post. I am happy.
Way to "bury the lead". :) I'll finish this post if you come back.