• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you say you don't need God

Remté

I have something for you to think about and I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

It is from the commentary of the Quran translated into english by Yusuf Ali Abdullah and it goes like this:

"Your calling upon him in times of danger shows that in the depths of your hearts you feel his need."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have something for you to think about and I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

It is from the commentary of the Quran translated into english by Yusuf Ali Abdullah and it goes like this:

"Your calling upon him in times of danger shows that in the depths of your hearts you feel his need."

It does indeed. Because it does not happen.

I have little notion of how sincerely or how many theists believe that "there are no atheists in trenches", or in falling airplanes, but it is a complete fiction.

Skwim

Veteran Member

So what does this "him" need, that we're suppose to feel? And what benefit do we get from showing it?

Altfish

Veteran Member

That is based on no facts at all. It is a fallacy, the only time I, as an atheist, only use god's name is as a curse.
If in trouble I don't pray, I try to do something useful, call an ambulance, etc.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

So I'm not saying there isn't a god, just that there isn't a god I believe in. If there was/is a god, I wouldn't trust them. I assume any god has their own business to go about and that business may not be of particular benefit to you. In times of danger, a believer might think there is a god that cares about their situation, but I don't know why any god necessarily would. Your death, misfortune may be in the best interests of some god's design. Consider the Book of Job.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't 'call on him' in times of danger. And I have nearly died several times. The notion of calling on a being I don't believe in just doesn't enter my head.

Yes, there really, really are people who don't believe in deities. They (and I) see them as myths. I would no more call on YHWH or Allah or Jesus that I would Zeus, Ahura Mazda, or Quetzalcoatl.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I've never called upon any of the gods in times of danger.
But Jesus's name comes up when I get nasty leg cramps.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It has long been apparent to me that the Qur'an does not give an accurate portrayal of the existence and nature of atheists.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Folks will invoke different things in times of danger. Given folks come from many different backgrounds and cultures, they are not all going to invoke the same things. I assure you that I, as a polytheist, am not going to be invoking your monotheistic god when I am in danger. I have my own gods - and more importantly my own strength of will and other humans around me - to rely upon.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Never felt the need to call on a myth since i understood it was a myth. And i have faced danger, from god believers

Remté

It does indeed. Because it does not happen.

I have little notion of how sincerely or how many theists believe that "there are no atheists in trenches", or in falling airplanes, but it is a complete fiction.
I'm sorry, but what does indeed?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How successful would the book be
if it advertised the benefits of disbelief.
A valid question.

I happen to think that it would be considerably more succesful where it counts.

But that is a bit besides the matter. Acknowledging the existence of atheists and correctly describing their nature or behavior would not necessarily mean presenting atheism as beneficial, or even as a choice.