• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you have read the bible, what primary lesson did you learn?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That you too may become perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
If humans can become perfect, "like god," then god is not perfect because humans cannot be perfect.
Anyway, I have to again question your understanding of Scripture and their intended purpose.
Of course you would. It's not unusual for a Christian to dismiss my criticisms as "Bible bashing" and "god hating." They also tend to call me an atheist over it.
The Bible is, in my opinion, the literal word of God.
And in it and throughout it god performs some very cruel and malicious deeds.
You clearly have not read it without bias and wanting to know the truth.
The first time I read it was when I was trying to save my faith. But it made me realize the god I loved and worship was a demonic monster, the only real devil to be found in the Bible.
I just find it odd that you are critical of words you do not believe,
I often read things I don't agree with.
where you attack them as though they have offended you
Many Christians use the Bible to persecute me, and demand they get special exceptions from following the law in order to discriminate against those like me. That's not very "Christ like."
that would be like criticizing Robin Hoods acts of kindness knowing that He did not exist, you must admit, it is a little odd.
Robin Hood probably did exist. And, ultimately, he was a thief who brings to light just how flexible our sense of morality and right and wrong can be.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It took me a long time to realize internally the word 'Bible' literally means 'Library', not 'Book'; because I began with the assumption it was like a book. It was not. The Koran is a book. Tom Sawyer is a book. The Bible has a range of different genres and writing styles and points and also counterpoints.

To help confirm your realisation the French for library is bibliothèque.

Italian and Spanish - biblioteca

German - bibliothek

Shaul

Premium Member
Well, of course, I have read the Bible, many times. If there is one lesson I have learned from reading the Bible(by which I mean the Jewish scriptures) it is that reading it is not as important as letting it read you. If you read the Bible without allowing it change you it is far better to not read it at all. It is alive. You don’t reading another living being, you interact with it.

The Bible is the very foundation of existence. Judaism teaches that changing even a single letter of it would destroy all of creation. In the Mishnah there is this quote about the Torah, “Turn it, and turn it, for everything is in it. Reflect on it and grow old and gray with it. Don't turn from it, for nothing is better than it.”

Kelly of the Phoenix

Only one? It's a pretty long set of texts to just get one thing out of it.

To treat others as I would like to be treated.
That and "it's insanely hard to be treated as you wish to be treated".

If the OT is myth, then what Jesus believed and taught in the gospel accounts is also myth.
Yup.

Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written..."
Yes, it is "written", not it has "happened."

The gospel accounts have corresponding cross-reference verses or passages connected to the OT Hebrew Scriptures.
The Quran makes many references to the bible, thus making the Quran true.

But after the fall, God decided he needed to establish some rules, like DON'T MURDER OTHER PEOPLE and DON'T TAKE WHAT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU.
Rules that He waited for generations to post on His wall. You'd think the Ten Commandments would show up pretty much after Cain and Abel, at the earliest.

God: I just don't know how I'm supposed to make these humans decent.
Hammurabi: Um, I wrote up this thing called "laws". You may find the concept useful.
God: No way?
Hammurabi: Way.
God: And humans just follow them?
Hammurabi: Well, You would have to threaten them for not following them. Maiming and fines work pretty well. Murder is only for the strongest of criminal minds.
God: Hang on, gotta write this stuff down....

The demon spirits apparently haven't given up on hope and change.
So, the lesson we learn from the bible is that God wants us to give up hope that evil will be vanquished? Evil must be allowed to continue because yay, status quo?

I'm baffled as to how so many Christians can try and justify how God condoned a practice that modern day human beings see as being OBVIOUSLY immoral.
And yet God forbid if their paychecks don't arrive or are incorrect. It's almost like they don't want to work for free either.

So, do you think the history it presents is inaccurate? Acclaimed archaeologist Sir Frederic G. Kenyon thought otherwise. So did Isaac Newton.
Science has moved beyond those two as well.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes, it is "written", not it has "happened."
The Quran makes many references to the bible, thus making the Quran true.
So, the lesson we learn from the bible is that God wants us to give up hope that evil will be vanquished?
Evil must be allowed to continue because yay, status quo?

Sure it is 'written' that is how Jesus 'happened' to be able to reference the old Hebrew Scriptures for us.
Jesus used logical reasoning on those Scriptures even showing how they tie in to our day.
Since the Qur'an makes many references to the Bible, thus making the 'Bible' true, because as Jesus believed at John 17:17 that biblical Scripture is: religious truth.

Since God will bring an end to all wars - Psalms 46:9
Since the wicked will be No more - Psalms 37:9-10
Since only the upright will remain - Proverbs 2:21-22
Since Jesus will destroy Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B

Then Kelly, the lesson we learn from the Bible is: God wants us to have HOPE that evil will be vanquished.
Evil, I find must be allowed to continue for a short or limited amount of time - Revelation 12:12, 9.
Then, the executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the earth of evil - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16.
Followed by the HOPE found at Revelation 22:2 that mankind will see the return on Earth of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the purpose of healing earth's nations. That is why we are invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come. 'Come' and usher in Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill besides bringing an end to 'enemy death' on Earth as per 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Well, of course, I have read the Bible, many times. If there is one lesson I have learned from reading the Bible(by which I mean the Jewish scriptures) it is that reading it is not as important as letting it read you. If you read the Bible without allowing it change you it is far better to not read it at all. It is alive. You don’t reading another living being, you interact with it.

I like how you brought out about " you interact with it ". ( Scripture / God ).
That remains me of the words found at James 1:23-24 which says for if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, (interacter) this one is like a man looking at his own face in a glass mirror. For he looks at himself, and he goes away and immediately forgets what sort of person he is....

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists
If humans can become perfect, "like god," then god is not perfect because humans cannot be perfect.

Then why does He tell us in the scriptures · Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. to be perfect. Christ atoned for our sins, which means that at the judgment bar His atonement can bridge the gap between perfection and imperfection. If the atonement does bridge that gap then we will be made perfect and be able to dwell in the presece of God, the eternal father. If it does not then we will be damned to the lower kingdoms of Heavon, as God cannot dwell with the least amount of imperfection. The doctrine is there for all to see.

Of course you would. It's not unusual for a Christian to dismiss my criticisms as "Bible bashing" and "god hating." They also tend to call me an atheist over it.

Then Christians they are not. A devout Christian would strive not to judge you and recognise that we all have free agency to act according to the dictates of or own hearts and free will

And in it and throughout it god performs some very cruel and malicious deeds.

Not in my opinion. Men simply reap the rewards of their own actions. God cannot intervene, if he did the whole Plan of Salvation would be thwarted and rendered useless.

The first time I read it was when I was trying to save my faith. But it made me realize the god I loved and worship was a demonic monster, the only real devil to be found in the Bible.

Then I would sugest that you inadvertently choose the wrong companion to help you read it. If you read it, as we are told to read it in the Epistle of James, your sensibilities would not have been invaded by the influences of evil. James 1: 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Do this and you WILL recieve the testamony of the Holy Ghost

I often read things I don't agree with.

And so you might, however, do you post those things on an internet forum knowing that they will be offensive to a certain genre? Probably not.

Many Christians use the Bible to persecute me, and demand they get special exceptions from following the law in order to discriminate against those like me. That's not very "Christ like."

No, it is not very Christlike and they wil be judged accoringly, as you will for your sins and I for mine.

Robin Hood probably did exist. And, ultimately, he was a thief who brings to light just how flexible our sense of morality and right and wrong can be.

Well, I hate to disappoint, but Robin Hood was definitely an old folk story. The places were very real but the heroin was not.

I would not question yours, or anybody elses, sense of morality. That is for God to do and very much beyond by capabilities.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There were only two people in Eden, and there is no Biblical evidence to support the rest of your claim.

The rest of my claim comes from Genesis 1:28 showing God's purpose for Earth
The reward for mankind was to enjoy endless life on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden was.
There will be coming ' healing ' for earth's nations according to Revelation 22:2.
Jesus will fulfill God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed (Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18) and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefit of healing for earth's nations when on Earth even 'enemy death' will be No more on Earth as per 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then why does He tell us in the scriptures · Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. to be perfect.
God must have very low standards then. Perhaps lower than Revoltingest's own standards.
en Christians they are not. A devout Christian would strive not to judge you and recognise that we all have free agency to act according to the dictates of or own hearts and free will
Except you did judge me.
Then I would sugest that you inadvertently choose the wrong companion to help you read it.
Yet another baseless assumption you place upon me.
And so you might, however, do you post those things on an internet forum knowing that they will be offensive to a certain genre? Probably not.
Sometimes.
Well, I hate to disappoint, but Robin Hood was definitely an old folk story.
A very old folk story, no doubt, but there is a possibility there was a real person who inspired the stories.
The places were very real but the heroin was not.
Robin Hood would be a hero, not the drug heroin or female equivalent of a hero called a heroine.
No, it is not very Christlike and they wil be judged accoringly, as you will for your sins and I for mine.
You may have sins, but I do not.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That people will actually believe in thousands year old supernatural hearsay.
Paranormal events occur everyday, man. (Go to the paranormal forum.)
Those who converse with their dead loved ones, such accounts are paranormal, to a degree you'd never guess!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
....or believe.
Yes...that was my point. I should have put it like this: those who converse with their “dead loved ones”, in quotations....because they’re really not! (The dead are dead.) But too many people say they do, for it to be all hallucinations. They are talking to ‘someone!’ And then, you have the séances, held by spirit mediums....maybe the majority are faked, but some are genuine occurrences. I mean, famous people (who had their wits about them) ‘spoke with or saw spirits’, like Abraham Lincoln; his wife, Mary Todd; Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; here are others who believed that some aspects of paranormal activities were genuine, https://io9.gizmodo.com/10-famous-scientists-who-held-surprising-supernatural-b-1689425142 ; The Scientists Who Believe in Ghosts ; https://listverse.com/2016/06/21/10-bizarre-paranormal-stories-involving-famous-people/ ; etc., etc. There are just too many to list here.

There’s something behind it.

Just keep an open mind.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Then why does He tell us in the scriptures · Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. to be perfect. Christ atoned for our sins, which means that at the judgment bar His atonement can bridge the gap between perfection and imperfection. If the atonement does bridge that gap then we will be made perfect and be able to dwell in the presece of God, the eternal father. If it does not then we will be damned to the lower kingdoms of Heavon, as God cannot dwell with the least amount of imperfection. The doctrine is there for all to see.
Then Christians they are not. A devout Christian would strive not to judge you and recognise that we all have free agency to act according to the dictates of or own hearts and free will
Not in my opinion. Men simply reap the rewards of their own actions. God cannot intervene, if he did the whole Plan of Salvation would be thwarted and rendered useless.
Then I would sugest that you inadvertently choose the wrong companion to help you read it. If you read it, as we are told to read it in the Epistle of James, your sensibilities would not have been invaded by the influences of evil. James 1: 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
Do this and you WILL recieve the testamony of the Holy Ghost

Well, I hate to disappoint, but Robin Hood was definitely an old folk story. The places were very real but the heroin was not.
I would not question yours, or anybody elses, sense of morality. That is for God to do and very much beyond by capabilities.

Please note: I find at Matthew 5:44 we are to love our enemies and Matthew 5:48 is in connection to that love.
In other words, we are to perfect or 'complete in love' by loving ones enemies.

Christians should Not make personal judgements such as to impute a bad motive to another.
But, on the other hand, Christians should Not judge God's judgement as recorded in Scripture.

Serenity7855

Please note: I find at Matthew 5:44 we are to love our enemies and Matthew 5:48 is in connection to that love.
In other words, we are to perfect or 'complete in love' by loving ones enemies.

Christians should Not make personal judgements such as to impute a bad motive to another.
But, on the other hand, Christians should Not judge God's judgement as recorded in Scripture.

The problem here is that of interpretation. My interpretation may be way off in your eyes, however, it works for me and fits in perfectly. To be perfect is to exist without sin, to be sinless. Something that is an impossibility since Adam left the Garden of Eden. The scriptures tell us that no unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God. So how are we to become perfect again, that means physically as well as spiritually, as God is, which is another area worthy of debate. God allowed Jesus to come to earth specifically to atone for the sins of all mankind and to release the bonds of death over them through His resurrection, as His body was perfected, witnessed by the Disciples and the 500. It is, therefore, through Christ that we may become perfect, even as He and our Father in Heaven are perfect. All we need do is to ask God, through His son, Jesus Christ, who intercedes on our behalf, to forgive us of our sins, and if we ask in faith, nothing wavering and with real intent, our sins will be forgiven of us.

Where perfection will come into its own will be on the day of judgement when the books will be opened and we will be judged for our works during our mortal probation. All of us will be found sinners and incapable of dwelling with God. owever, all of us will receive a perfected body, salvation, however, through the Grace of God we can be saved and enter into the presence of God .

It is then that the atonement works for us. If we have drawn upon the atonement of Christ and have sought forgiveness for our transgressions, then the atonement will make us perfect as our sins will have been forgiven and our bodies perfected. It is at this moment that we will become perfect, even as our our Father in heaven is perfect, allowing us to be in Gods presence and not shrink and die. That is what I believe. For me it works. I have reasoned myself into these set of events that explain our very existence. This is a huge subject. This is a very condensed version.

Serenity7855

God must have very low standards then. Perhaps lower than Revoltingest's own standards.

God is perfect

Except you did judge me

I am sorry that you think that. It was not my intention, however, I am still striving.

Yet another baseless assumption you place upon me.

No, I made a suggestion, I did not state a fact or assume anything.

A very old folk story, no doubt, but there is a possibility there was a real person who inspired the stories.

If you take a trip to Sherwood Forrest you will find a plaque there that tells you that Robin Hood did not exist as depicted in the folk law

Robin Hood would be a hero, not the drug heroin or female equivalent of a hero called a heroine.

Oh, I am sure that you knew exactly what I was saying so mentioning my grammatical error is unfair.

You may have sins, but I do not.

OK

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
God is perfect
Not if he thinks we humans can be perfect.
I am sorry that you think that. It was not my intention, however, I am still striving.
I suggest you stop with assuming things about people's understanding of Scripture, and assuming to know what I believe regarding it.
No, I made a suggestion, I did not state a fact or assume anything.
Yes, you did. When you claimed I haven't read the Bible without bias, that is judging.
If you take a trip to Sherwood Forrest you will find a plaque there that tells you that Robin Hood did not exist as depicted in the folk law
Of course he wouldn't have existed as depicted in folk lore. There are so many different folk lore versions of him it would be possible. But, nevertheless, it is debated among historians, even if the legends grew from a band of common thieves.
Oh, I am sure that you knew exactly what I was saying so mentioning my grammatical error is unfair.
So is you assuming I think the Bible is historically accurate and that I "chose the wrong person" to read it with.

Faithofchristian

That churches do not have any truth, they are always contradicting the bible, Pastor's, Preachers, have no clue what the Bible support's or don't supports.

And then people come out those churches believing they have the truth, But they don't realize they have nothing.

A good example is people believe everything started with Adam and Eve.

The bible does not support this teaching of man's.
Had people been taught about the first earth age, then people might be able to put things together in the Bible to make Since of the bible.

But as it is people have no concept of the first earth age, to make any since why people are here in this earth age.