• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you have read the bible, what primary lesson did you learn?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Other than the gospel accounts, the first or primary lesson for me was the words of Ecclesiastes 1:4 B.
' the Earth abides forever '.
I was taught in school that Earth will be destroyed.
I was taught in religious classes that Earth will be destroyed.
So, when I was shown Ecclesiastes 1:4 I wanted to know more.
The lesson I learned was what the churches often teach, and what schools often teach, is out of harmony with what the Bible really teaches. Not only will Earth abide forever, but the time is coming when wickedness on Earth will finally come to an end. The wicked will be 'destroyed forever' as per Psalms 92:7. The upright remain - Proverbs 2:21-22.
And, according to Revelation 22:2, there will be coming ' healing ' (good health) for earth's nations made possible because righteous mankind is going to see the return on Earth of the Genesis ' tree of life '.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I've read the kjv 1611. From that I've learned to take everything with a grain of salt. I look at it as literature. Although it's not intended that way.

I also see how it can be easily, and wildly misinterpreted. By me and by anybody.

I wouldn't want to have to follow it's dictates.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That we're near Hell, and the Bible is a trap to catch out the demons.
In my opinion. :innocent:

Good thought that the Bible is a trap to catch out the demons. I'll add demonic-like unrepentant people.

I find if we look to see what is the 'Bible's hell' then we are all near hell because biblical hell is: the grave.
When the King James Bible translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire that put the flames in biblical hell.
Can anything think of anyone righteous who went to hell _______
The day righteous Jesus died Jesus went to hell which is the temporary stone-cold grave for mankind.- Acts 2:27.
The reason I say cold and 'temporary' is because if biblical hell is a permanent place then Jesus would still be there.
In John chapter 11 Jesus teaches that the dead are in a sleep-like state until being resurrected back to life.
Jesus' teaching is in harmony with Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5 the dead know nothing.
Since the dead do Not know anything, they can Not feel pain nor bliss. Nothing but sleep.

The demons do Not end up in biblical hell (grave) but the 'wicked are destroyed forever' as per Psalms 92:7.
Sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus according to Hebrews 2:14 B.
Satan and the demons end up (Not in hell) but in the ' second death ' of Revelation 21:8
So, ' second death ' is a fitting term for: destruction. Annihilation for all those demons.
The wicked are near their destruction, but as for righteous mankind, instead of being near 'hell aka biblical grave', rather we are near the soon coming ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37,40 which means we are near the start of Jesus' 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth. That means we are near the blessings or the benefits of Revelation 22:2 when there will be ' healing ' (good health) for earth's nations as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Once I read it more closely, I found out what I didnt believe. That let me explore what called to me and gave me a foundation (with The Church) and definition of spirituality. As a result, I learned more intimately about Buddhism, took the precepts, and havent left ever since.

If I hadnt read the bible and went into The Church Id know nothing about spirituality. I wasnt raised that way until I moved alone in a christian area.

Outside of that, I didnt learn anything unique. It reminds me more of politics than something I can base my life on.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
That something with mostly good intentions can go totally off the rails- like the Bible for example. I mean with the passages in the Hebrew Bible, especially. That's me trying to be kind, because the Bible does have some beautiful parts sandwiched between all the killing and prejudice. The gospels are kinda like the pearl in that sand pile, as other thinkers have acknowledged.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
It took me a long time to realize internally the word 'Bible' literally means 'Library', not 'Book'; because I began with the assumption it was like a book. It was not. The Koran is a book. Tom Sawyer is a book. The Bible has a range of different genres and writing styles and points and also counterpoints.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
It took me a long time to realize internally the word 'Bible' literally means 'Library', not 'Book'; because I began with the assumption it was like a book. It was not. The Koran is a book. Tom Sawyer is a book. The Bible has a range of different genres and writing styles and points and also counterpoints.

This is a great point. Not even all the books in the Bible have a single author, which can be seen by difference in writing style and ideology. The most noticeable example of this is Isaiah, which is currently thought to have at least three different authors.