• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could have a face-to-face conversation with god...

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What would you say? Assuming God showed up and was speaking with you clearly, and you would have had no more doubts that God exists.

I would lecture God about charity and how cruel he is in his refusal to help out those who are in agony. I would lecture him about how cruel it is to leave people in confusion and delusion, when he could give everyone understanding and guide them to the truth.

I would give him a lecture about being faithful to your word, which he has not been... (Then again, I'm not convinced any longer that the Bible is his word.)

Id demonstrate that if I were all-powerful like him, the world would be a better place... I would heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, feed the hungry, Enlighten the confused, speak clearly to people, and the world would be far better off.

If Only God would make me as omnipotent as he is, I absolutely would do a better job. If only he would give me that Grace, I'd most certainly prove it to him and to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd ask if he has a proof of the twin prime conjecture. Or whether the Cantor ternary set is a set of uniqueness for Walsh series.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Done this one before. Yes if god appeared and spoke to people, if all doubt was alleviated then atheism must surely end at that moment.

I'd certainly be asking some searching questions about hius morality and compassion.

Why childhood leukemia, cancer, the mosquito, the asian gerbil.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd ask if he has a proof of the twin prime conjecture. Or whether the Cantor ternary set is a set of uniqueness for Walsh series.

I first read that last phrase as "set of uniqueness for Welsh series." I thought since when has Poly been into Welsh Rugby Union... So i re-read it.

Sanzbir

I would lecture him about how cruel it is to leave people in confusion and delusion, when he could give everyone understanding and guide them to the truth.

He does, you just aren't willing to listen, apparently. :p

The rest of your complaints due to suffering from a delusional belief in evil.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
He does, you just aren't willing to listen, apparently. :p

The rest of your complaints due to suffering from a delusional belief in evil.
I am listening. That's almost all I do with my free time is pray and try to listen to God. I would lay down my life today if God asked me to. I absolutely would. I know that to be true!

Sanzbir

I am listening. That's almost all I do with my free time is pray and try to listen to God. I would lay down my life today if God asked me to. I absolutely would. I know that to be true!

Yet when I see people attempt to give you honest guidance on the subject, you refuse to listen. I no longer really believe you are truly exerting effort towards this task of discerning God's will.

Or, perhaps, you are so focused on a specific type of listening, you have blinded yourself to other channels of discovery.

I think from your repeated complaints, you may, internally at least, desire a God you may use as a scapegoat for your own perceived faults, as an escape for taking any personal responsibility. In this capacity, God gives you exactly what I think it is you may truly want from him.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yet when I see people attempt to give you honest guidance on the subject, you refuse to listen. I no longer really believe you are truly exerting effort towards this task of discerning God's will.

Or, perhaps, you are so focused on a specific type of listening, you have blinded yourself to other channels of discovery.

I think from your repeated complaints, you may, internally at least, desire a God you may use as a scapegoat for your own perceived faults, as an escape for taking any personal responsibility. In this capacity, God gives you exactly what I think it is you may truly want from him.
No, I have listened to the instructions I have received, and I have accepted correction in many ways. However, the people that have tried to help me are divided.

Many of the people that tried to help me were Catholics. Some of the people that tried to help me were people who insisted the Catholic church was evil and gave scripture to back their views. Some of the people that tried to help me were Muslim. I don't know who speaks for God. All of them seem to be genuine Seekers of the truth, and all of them wound up with opposite beliefs.

I have every reason to be skeptical of who I listen to. God has not spoken to me from what I can tell. If there was a person on this forum or in real life who I knew without a doubt was speaking for God, I would obey them.

Sanzbir

No, I have listened to the instructions I have received, and I have accepted correction in many ways. However, the people that have tried to help me are divided.

Many of the people that tried to help me were Catholics. Some of the people that tried to help me were people who insisted the Catholic church was evil and gave scripture to back their views. Some of the people that tried to help me were Muslim. I don't know who speaks for God. All of them seem to be genuine Seekers of the truth, and all of them wound up with opposite beliefs.

I have every reason to be skeptical of who I listen to. God has not spoken to me from what I can tell. If there was a person on this forum or in real life who I knew without a doubt was speaking for God, I would obey them.

So it's the latter then: focused narrowly on a specific type of listening.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Presuming you are specifically talking about the Abrahamic one-god, I wouldn't say anything. Given the nature of that deity, I'd be immensely skeptical that it is what it claims to be and instead assume it's one of the trickster gods playing a joke (and no, not falling for it).

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i can't reasonably ascertain there being a God. even if the bible did not exist this world is brutally indifferent to life. so if I met God I'd expect to see a stone faced being whom could care less one bit about suffering in general.

no the intelligence that runs this place is far less than a God and is bound to the same existence. and it's miracle is that we exist at all.

I'd much rather give praise to virtue itself. virtue be the truth. that is the light that must shine.

ain't it great that mankind has the capacity to do good if so wishes.

there is no utopia, and utopia isn't reality in this world. things can always be better though. it's a precarious existence. so I'm thankful for the good experiences i have had.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From my perspective, all that we think we experience could be called a dream. When we finally wake up, this dream we call reality vanishes like an ordinary dream in the morning and we realize that everything that we thought happened, good and bad, was just an illusion.

A Vestigial Mote

I'd ask Him if He realizes that in the life and experience I had, and saw to be had by my fellows on Earth, His existence seemed to make zero difference. It may well have been that He didn't exist at all.

As an example, let's take the measles. People used to die quite often from measles. I would imagine that a great many of those who died were prayed over when it was found that they had measles, because it was known to possibly kill the infected person. In fact, here is a graph of deaths from measles from 1900 to 1999 (this data happens to be from England and Wales):

0707275measleslog.jpg

Note at the end where the deaths drop off to almost none. Due to modern medicine and ready access to clean water and hefty nutrition, the disease stopped being as fatal, and as it became less fatal, you can bet fewer and fewer people prayed for victims of measles. Which means that prayer to heal measles sufferers is INVERSELY proportional to Measles sufferers actually surviving and healing up. As the curve of those surviving goes up and up, the numbers of prayers or even passing thoughts to offer up prayers would go down, and yet the people survive more, and heal better... with fewer prayers in the mix at all.

So it can be concluded that God cannot be credited for any of this change. Instead, you can see that you have modern medicine, vaccination and, again, access to nutrition and clean water to thank. Now, you could go and say that God provided those things... but that becomes a ridiculous proposition immediately following the realization that, at any time, He could have provided those things, or even the inspiration for them. Instead, we had to wait for people to figure things out and apply them to medicinal work.

Why is this? Shoudn't prayer to God have had some effect? Why did it take people figuring out how to take care of the infected, or prevent infection entirely in order for deaths from the disease to abate? Why did it take SO LONG? Where is the power and the answering of the prayers of all of those whose children's lives were literally on the line during their time of crisis? It was nowhere, that's where.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What would you say? Assuming God showed up and was speaking with you clearly, and you would have had no more doubts that God exists.
I would ask why he created everything?
How he created everthing?
What did he like best about creation?
What did he least like about creation?
What was his favorite things to do?

Did he have any questions for me?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If there was a person on this forum or in real life who I knew without a doubt was speaking for God, I would obey them.
What if that person merely told you to do what you think you should do and to think for yourself by contemplating the results of your actions?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Presuming you are specifically talking about the Abrahamic one-god, I wouldn't say anything. Given the nature of that deity, I'd be immensely skeptical that it is what it claims to be and instead assume it's one of the trickster gods playing a joke (and no, not falling for it).
I sort of believed that Yahweh is one of the gods who is jealous and trying to gain power over all of them and make Devotion to the other gods a forbidden taboo practice.

So far, he's done a job of it that has met with significant success.