• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there's a god - why isn't it obvious?

Sidon

Hi, please don't infer a a dig at religion in the question... I'm prepared to accept there's an answer

I know that the complicatedness of life at least appears to be an evidence of god. so I'm not saying that there aren't any signs at all. But as you know, many of these evidences are challenged by the majority of the scientific communty as irrelevant.

So, if there's a god that cares - why isn't it obvious? I mean, what is the reason for him not communicating with us in an obvious way that everyone can readily recognise?

Self

Hi, please don't infer a a dig at religion in the question... I'm prepared to accept there's an answer

I know that the complicatedness of life at least appears to be an evidence of god. so I'm not saying that there aren't any signs at all. But as you know, many of these evidences are challenged by the majority of the scientific communty as irrelevant.

So, if there's a god that cares - why isn't it obvious? I mean, what is the reason for him not communicating with us in an obvious way that everyone can readily recognise?

Its extreamly obvious! Its not that God is hiding from us, its that we are hiding from God. The Ego or Lower Self keeps us from seeing God in his greatness. When we are caught in the material world, it (the world) becomes more and more real. But, when we begin to refrain from the material world, God becomes appearant. We are always seeing God, but the realized person just sees it in a more intense form.

.lava

Veteran Member

IMO most of people take God as a worldly matter and they talk to each other and ask questions to each other to understand God. but God would not have one relationship with everyone. God would have a private relationship with each individual. since each individual has his own free will, individual has to be the one who makes requests. he has to use his free will to be closer to God. for some people God is obvious and God does communicate with people. God provides proofs and makes people feel God is with him and sees him, hears him. but God might not give you what you want if you did not ask for it. if God was supposed to give you what you want because it is all-knowing, then God would not give people free will

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd

It isn't obvious? I don't believe in a God that cares about our day to day, but about our understanding of life and seeing the beauty within all things. I don't believe in a God that interferes, although it is pure benevolence. But ultimate good means allowing us to make our own decisions, and allowing us to learn as we go. It's like the parent who sits back and watches as you grow and learn. When you mess up, it is there to comfort and guide you, and offer peace, but it is not there to tell you what to do, or to save you from making stupid choices. I also believe that natural events are not caused by the One. It is out of control in that department. I do believe, however, that we are given strength in WISDOM when we ask for it. This can help us overcome the "bad" things that happen to us, if we turn around and look at how it has benefited us in the long run.

It is obvious to me that such a thing exists within ourselves.

Sidon

Thanks both.

If my son asks me a question, I answer. The soundwaves created by my mouth travel to his ears and he is no doubt of a response. If a man speaks to god - who we'll say created the mouth, ear, and air, what is stopping him from talking to us in a way that make it undeniable that he's said something?

If my son has a question, my answer doesn't necessarily have a bearing on his free will - unless i ussue an instruction. So even in a private relationship - why do you have to "come to the conlcusion" that God has answered you rather than "know" he has - do you know what I mean?
Presumably if a god wnated to he could manipulate the air and make his voice physically heard...
After saying it in 100 words, I've thought of 5?

Why does he seem distant?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Thanks both.

If my son asks me a question, I answer. The soundwaves created by my mouth travel to his ears and he is no doubt of a response. If a man speaks to god - who we'll say created the mouth, ear, and air, what is stopping him from talking to us in a way that make it undeniable that he's said something?
Well, I don't believe God is a "he" for starters. If one can let go of the ego, one can hear exactly what God has to say, it is an inner divine that is part of all of us. All we have to do is listen to It. If you ever manage to connect with it, and become overwhelmed by the sense of "I AM," you begin to see a picture forming (or dissolving, depending on what you're ready for). Sadly, in order to BE with that Oneness, one has to let go of a lot. Most people aren't ready... hence they hear nothing. Don't look outwards when all you have to do is listen to your heart. God is not your mother or father. It has only possibilities, no answers.

If my son has a question, my answer doesn't necessarily have a bearing on his free will - unless i ussue an instruction. So even in a private relationship - why do you have to "come to the conlcusion" that God has answered you rather than "know" he has - do you know what I mean?
Presumably if a god wnated to he could manipulate the air and make his voice physically heard...
After saying it in 100 words, I've thought of 5?

Why does he seem distant?
I would say because you're not looking in the right place. It's inside you. :) Looking out, all you'll see is dualism and the material world. God doesn't work like that.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
If there's a god that cares - why isn't it obvious? I mean, what is the reason for him not communicating with us in an obvious way that everyone can readily recognise?

This is a very simple answer to this question, but many people have difficulty coming to terms with the answer. A need or desire for something to exists or be true, is entirely independent of if it actually existing or being true. Welcome to RF.

Last edited:

Humanistheart

A good question. Surely there'd be some evidence of this. And yet... nothing.

Just_me_Mike

Many would say God is communicating. Only not everyone senses it. Some people say they hear God, or speak with him, in general this should not be confused with the same type of hearing and speaking associated with human to human communication.

Now I can't say what it means to experience God in this way, because who really knows what God is? If anything what people experience are glimmers, passing shadows, peripheral glimpses of what might be God. Whatever it is they sense, it is compelling enough to hold their attention. I have experienced such things that grab my attention, so I can at least identify with that.

Just_me_Mike

Its extreamly obvious! Its not that God is hiding from us, its that we are hiding from God. The Ego or Lower Self keeps us from seeing God in his greatness. When we are caught in the material world, it (the world) becomes more and more real. But, when we begin to refrain from the material world, God becomes appearant. We are always seeing God, but the realized person just sees it in a more intense form.
It could be said that just stopping at materialism and ridding oneself of that, is not enough to really know God.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
If God appeared that would make him measureable, eg dimensions, shape, constituent matter, energy use, biochemical processes. This would make metaphysics physics, so what would we be left to fantasize about. All religion would dissappear because the world would a dopt logic as the norm instead of fantasy we have today. It would be so boring. I would no longer be able to expose the dogmatic religionists as quacks.

Cheers

John D

Spiritsurfer
Because we only "believe" in something that make us look good.
If I ask god something i only exept the "yes" answers. The "no" answers I ignore and say: Oh,god didn't answer me, so He is not real.
No YES - No God. !!!!!

We are just little stupid, blind and deaf beings with no clue what is really going on around us.

Onkara

It could be said that just stopping at materialism and ridding oneself of that, is not enough to really know God.
Itwillend
How does one rid oneself of materialism? You cannot without death and that is the point of questioning our material form. Once we question ourselves as being what we take ourselves to be at first glance there appears to be something else which has been there all along. That which has always been there and will always be there is our link with God.

Because for something to exist there must already be something from which it must come. In other words it is not possible for something to come from nothing. Your existance is the obviousness of Gods existance. You are the miracle.

Clearly we can debate the nature of God, however to come to know God within then the above should be at least considered personally.

I agree with Sunstone, and suggest it is explored :)
God seems to be everything in existence and therefore wears camouflage.

If that's true then why is there so much disagreement about what Truth is?
Sidon
Truth is that which does not change. If something changes then it cannot be truthful as it is not permanent. What has been permanent in you all your life?

Sidon

When I ask the question, I already understand the implication that there may be no god - nevertheless, if you feel the need to remind me then so be it. But it really is directed at those who believe and have thought about reasons as to why an existing God may not be making himself obvious. So, so far I've appreciated most of the replies.
All religion would dissappear because the world would adopt logic as the norm instead of fantasy we have today. It would be so boring. I would no longer be able to expose the dogmatic religionists as quacks.

Cheers
To be honest with you Tiapan, if I had to choose, I'd rather be laughed at for being mistaken and a quack than pitied for being captious and sneering.

Baydwin

I would say it is dependant on the concept of God you chose to accept or explore. If you're waiting for a bolt from heaven followed by a thunderous voice, I think you'll be disappointed. If you expect a visit from an angel that lights up the room and delivers you a book of revelation, again you'll be disappointed.
If you go around looking for God in these and only these sort of experiences, then you're setting yourself up for the conclusion that God is illusive or non-existant.

There is a saying, though I can't remember where I read it, that to have knowledge of god you must first become agnostic. You can't go around with pre-conceived notions of what to expect because that blinds you to god appearing in unexpected ways.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
God would have a private relationship with each individual. since each individual has his own free will, individual has to be the one who makes requests.

But if god only appears to an individual, and that individual has to make requests, wouldn't it be a logical conclusion that along with making (up) the requests, the indivudual also makes (up) god?