• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If someone asks you if you believe in God, what is your best answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Giordano Bruno

Usually the kind of person who asks me that question in the first place in the overwhelming majority of cases is usually quite religious and as such have the Abrahamic God in mind - especially in my cultural background - which is why I have to adopt that default position of "NO" if they do not elaborate on what "their" definition of God is.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
When asked if I believe in god I usually say something to the effect of, “If by god you mean something like absolute truth or universal purpose or the order and beauty of the cosmos, then yes. If by god you mean a supreme being who answers prayers like a magic genie and who cares about whether I masturbate or gather firewood on Sunday, then probably not.”

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Usually the kind of person who asks me that question in the first place in the overwhelming majority of cases is usually quite religious and as such have the Abrahamic God in mind - especially in my cultural background - which is why I have to adopt that default position of "NO" if they do not elaborate on what "their" definition of God is.
I don't believe in anything that I consider a god, so my answer would usually be "no".

If I'm in an ignostic mood, I might respond with "what do you mean by 'God'?"

Renji

My answer would be: "So what if I believe in God or not? Would that affect you in any way?"

Onkara

Yes, there definition of God needs to be considered before answering. Typically most people are agnostic or atheist and so it is easily to be ambiguous in reply to avoid debate.

Most people I know avoid having to ask that question as the answer might make them uncomfortable.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Their definition is usually quite irrelevant to me. For the most part, my response is, "Who?"

St Giordano Bruno

It could also depend on what that particular person is wearing at the time. If he happens to be at first sight have all the appearances of a Catholic priest wearing his traditional clergyman’s uniform, all in black complete with the white dog collar. I would have to respond with that monosyllabic word of "No!"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The term, "nonbelief", is one of many pseudo words words that appear to be symbols for something but have no objective constituents. In other words, you won't find the term "nonbelief" in the dictionary.
Indeed. Disbelief and unbelief, perhaps, but not "nonbelief".

Status
Not open for further replies.