• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Russia Invades, What should NATO Do?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
When do these military interventions actually work? When does it not involve our citizens getting killed and left with mental emotional scars so multinationals can attempt to protect their interests?
The world is more connected, but we can't fight everyone's battles.
There's also a risk that military intervention will escalate things. Cold War style proxy wars is something else we can do without.

Military intervention is a last resort. As I mentioned, NATO's first course would likely be sanctions.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
War sucks. I don't disagree.

But we can't stand by and watch an ally get taken over either. Diplomacy should be the first and foremost option. With physical conflict being a dead last resort.
We can't make everyone's problem our problems. That's just a fact of life.
Military intervention is a last resort. As I mentioned, NATO's first course would likely be sanctions.
Yup. And those have a nasty way of being shouldered and beared by the People, not the intended targets.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Nor is anyone claiming we should. Just the problems of our allies when they are literally invaded by a hostile foreign power.

Yup. And those have a nasty way of being shouldered and beared by the People, not the intended targets.

I imagine that depends entirely on which sanctions are imposed and how.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Per the question in the title of this OP, what do you think should be done by NATO if Russia launches a full-scale assault on the Ukraine?

I am fine with countries other than the US and Canada sending a few troops to help Ukraine. When it comes to the US and Canada, I think it is obvious that all the Gen Z kids 18+ are going to be drafted and sent there as boots on the ground. The number of draftees is definitely going to be higher than it was during the Vietnam War considering that Russia is an incredibly large country.

P.S. The US Army can actually make middle school students mandatory volunteers. They very likely will because this oncoming war against Russia is going to result in too many US casualties and will last over a decade.

Lol. Sorry. I just wanted to scare our youngest users. :) The adults scared my generation with promises of a draft when we were in school.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Then we shouldn't have made them an ally then. So also a fact of life currently.

Since we can't go back and unally them, we either sit back and watch and be trusted less then we already are. Or we intervene and be trusted less then we already are. It's a no win situation.

Edit: quick question? What are your stipulations on actual military intervention? Waiting until the war is on our doorstep? Or hopefully preventing it from getting to that point before hand?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I disagree with the notion of such as NATO, Warsaw Pact etc. allyships. We're constantly involving ourselves in conflicts halfway around the globe or continent that have literally nothing to do with us.

Generally I'd agree with you. I wonder though about Putin, Jinping and their aspirations for global dominance. Will they leave us alone?
The West held a military dominance which we may soon no longer hold.
I suspect NATO is what has kept Russia in check.
However Russia is claiming NATO is a hostile threat to Russia.
Possibly to justify a future confrontation.

Starting to feel these two can't be trusted.

Last edited:

Lain

Per the question in the title of this OP, what do you think should be done by NATO if Russia launches a full-scale assault on the Ukraine? How about your personal response to such an attack?

My personal response will be to pray for them and ask Mary to protect her children there.

As for what NATO ought to do I have not the slightest idea, other than any war should strictly follow just war doctrine and if it doesn't those who break it are murderers with less respect than El Chapo. In my opinion at least.

74x12

Per the question in the title of this OP, what do you think should be done by NATO if Russia launches a full-scale assault on the Ukraine? How about your personal response to such an attack?
I don't know but I think they're setting up this ww3 scenario and they need to stop. Why was there no problems with Russia in Trump years? Because he wasn't constantly provoking them I think. Obama, Hillary and Biden all seem dead set on starting something with Russia.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When do these military interventions actually work? When does it not involve our citizens getting killed and left with mental emotional scars so multinationals can attempt to protect their interests?
The world is more connected, but we can't fight everyone's battles.
There's also a risk that military intervention will escalate things. Cold War style proxy wars is something else we can do without.
One has to keep in mind who the aggressors are and if such aggression is justified.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Bully nations need to be stood up too. (Probably we acted too slow against Hitler)

But with the risk of global nuclear war we are even beyond the era of Hiter. Diplomacy and international pressure on all possible fronts may lead to a change in leadership in Russia. Evil loses in the end but its thrashing tail can be devasting to so many.

Also we need an honest appraisal of what we think a NATO war against Russia with our offensive and defensive systems would look like. And then a chess move.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Pretty much. People want other countries to stay out of the affairs of others.

Let the chips fall where they may.
If you see a bully on the street beating up a smaller older person do you stay out of the affairs of others and let the chips fall where they may?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you see a bully on the street beating up a smaller kid do you stay out of the affairs of others and let the chips fall where they may?
Depends on if I can take on the bully and if that kid is a friend of mine.

I see where your coming from and I agree in principle, but not everything is as it seems either.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know what to advise, but if there is a military response the smart thing is to attack somewhere else. I wouldn't send troops to the Ukraine-Russia border. I'd take other property and then bargain with it. Save lives that way.

We Never Know

No Slack
We need to quit funding and fighting everyone's wars. If they want us fighting their war, they should hire us instead of us funding and fighting most, if not all of it. That's my two cents

George-ananda

Premium Member
Depends on if I can take on the bully and if that kid is a friend of mine.

I see where your coming from and I agree in principle, but not everything is as it seems either.
Well NATO can take on Russia and Ukraine is a friend.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It can be put back if we'd just leave each other alone. Allyship is empire by any other name. It's also very selective. 'We're going to go after this country, but this country that's also being evil we'll turn a blind eye to because goods/oil/food/whatever.' It's all just in vain and only ever serves elite interests. In reality, very few people give a damn about Ukraine or even Russia.

Given that alliances have been around in every human civilization I've ever studied, from inception forward, at some point don't you decide they're an unavoidable part of the human condition?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that alliances have been around in every human civilization I've ever studied, from inception forward, at some point don't you decide they're an unavoidable part of the human condition?
They are but I dislike the way they're used to justify the elite's warmongering and never benefit anyone else.