• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Russia Invades, What should NATO Do?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Per the question in the title of this OP, what do you think should be done by NATO if Russia launches a full-scale assault on the Ukraine? How about your personal response to such an attack?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Per the question in the title of this OP, what do you think should be done by NATO if Russia launches a full-scale assault on the Ukraine? How about your personal response to such an attack?
If it become a war between Russia and Nato they will start WW3 so Nato should not get involved.

What would be my personal response? Thinking of going to Ukrain to help civilians and wounded people.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing. Leave them both alone and fix our own problems.

Deeply bad idea. Ukraine is a NATO ally that we have an interest in protecting. It would be a giant **** you to their government to provide them no support in this conflict. That likely means sanctions but might also mean military intervention if sanctions and diplomacy fail and Russia literally invades them.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Deeply bad idea. Ukraine is a NATO ally that we have an interest in protecting. It would be a giant **** you to their government to provide them no support in this conflict. That likely means sanctions but might also mean military intervention if sanctions and diplomacy fail and Russia literally invades them.
I disagree with the notion of such as NATO, Warsaw Pact etc. allyships. We're constantly involving ourselves in conflicts halfway around the globe or continent that have literally nothing to do with us.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree with the notion of such as NATO, Warsaw Pact etc. allyships. We're constantly involving ourselves in conflicts halfway around the globe or continent that have literally nothing to do with us.

Whether you agree with them in a vacuum is sort of beyond the point. The relationships exist. We have a responsibility to do right by countries who have developed trusting relationships with us.

The world is globally interconnected - economically and otherwise. Closing our eyes while Russia expands its influence and power and acting like it has nothing to do with us is not a wise strategy. It's certainly not Russia's.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether you agree with them in a vacuum is sort of beyond the point. The relationships exist. We have a responsibility to do right by countries who have developed trusting relationships with us.

The world is globally interconnected - economically and otherwise. Closing our eyes while Russia expands its influence and power and acting like it has nothing to do with us is not a wise strategy. It's certainly not Russia's.
I don't honestly care. I'm not saying that to be callous; I literally do not care. Let countries fight their battles. I disagree with globalism, I would reverse it; I'd let us get on with our affairs.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't honestly care. I'm not saying that to be callous; I literally do not care. Let countries fight their battles. I disagree with globalism, I would reverse it; I'd let us get on with our affairs.

But "our affairs" aren't just "ours." Globalism exists whether you agree with it or not. You may dislike electricity, but...it's still around. It doesn't behoove us to just pretend it doesn't. The toothpaste is out of the tube.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
But "our affairs" aren't just "ours." Globalism exists whether you agree with it or not. You may dislike electricity, but...it's still around. It doesn't behoove us to just pretend it doesn't. The toothpaste is out of the tube.
It can be put back if we'd just leave each other alone. Allyship is empire by any other name. It's also very selective. 'We're going to go after this country, but this country that's also being evil we'll turn a blind eye to because goods/oil/food/whatever.' It's all just in vain and only ever serves elite interests. In reality, very few people give a damn about Ukraine or even Russia.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Beef up the defences in Poland and the Baltic States.

Ukraine is not a NATO member, has been part of Russia for centuries and is only independent now as a result of Krushchev making it an SSR back in Soviet times as a gesture. So further response should be at the economic and political level, which is not NATO's mandate.

And then there is a possibility of cyber-retaliation of course. Though that would risk unleashed Russia's cyber capabilities, which are not trivial, so such a move could go in unpredictable directions. Probably best to avoid.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Just remember that NATO is primarily an alliance for our own defence.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Just remember that NATO is primarily an alliance for our own defence.
I know that, but if we were half the country we're capable of being we should be able to defend our bloody selves. And other countries should have the option of coming to help, not a contract.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When do these military interventions actually work? When does it not involve our citizens getting killed and left with mental emotional scars so multinationals can attempt to protect their interests?
The world is more connected, but we can't fight everyone's battles.
There's also a risk that military intervention will escalate things. Cold War style proxy wars is something else we can do without.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
When do these military interventions actually work? When does it not involve our citizens getting killed and left with mental emotional scars so multinationals can attempt to protect their interests?
The world is more connected, but we can't fight everyone's battles.
There's also a risk that military intervention will escalate things. Cold War style proxy wars is something else we can do without.

War sucks. I don't disagree.

But we can't stand by and watch an ally get taken over either. Diplomacy should be the first and foremost option. With physical conflict being a dead last resort.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It can be put back if we'd just leave each other alone. Allyship is empire by any other name. It's also very selective. 'We're going to go after this country, but this country that's also being evil we'll turn a blind eye to because goods/oil/food/whatever.' It's all just in vain and only ever serves elite interests. In reality, very few people give a damn about Ukraine or even Russia.
Yup. America makes this VERY apparent with who it considers allies and "terrorist supporters" in the Muslim world.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It can be put back if we'd just leave each other alone.

But it neither benefits us to "leave each other alone," nor would it make any sense in terms of international relations. Countries that we've spent decades building relationships with, we just...ignore, all of a sudden? Is that how you treat people in your life? I imagine not. The reason we have these treaties and allyships and so on, and have had them for years, is because they mutually benefit us.

Allyship is empire by any other name.

I'm sorry, but that is absurd.

It's also very selective. 'We're going to go after this country, but this country that's also being evil we'll turn a blind eye to because goods/oil/food/whatever.' It's all just in vain and only ever serves elite interests. In reality, very few people give a damn about Ukraine or even Russia.

This is a gloss. Each individual situation has to be evaluated for what is going on and what makes sense both strategically and in terms of the humanitarian situation. The very ordinary people - not "the elite" - of Ukraine are benefitted by their country's relationship with the West and not being a Russian satellite. Would you rather live under Russia's control? Or the UK's? I know which answer I'd give. I don't think either one of us are members of "the elite."