• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it was proven that God doesn't exist

CarlinKnew

I realize that this is impossible, but hypothetically speaking:

If it was proven that God (or deities, spirits, supernatural entities, creators, universal consciousness, souls, etc.) doesn't exist... you know it as a fact and everyone knows it, you're absolutely convinced, and you truly believe it...

How would your life change?

What would you do differently?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I dunno. Look for another explanation for my experiences, I suppose. ETA: I'd still be UU.

Tristesse

If it was proven that God (or deities, spirits, supernatural entities, creators, universal consciousness, souls, etc.) doesn't exist... you know it as a fact and everyone knows it, you're absolutely convinced, and you truly believe it...

Well, it depends. If someone can define their god well enough, which rarely ever happens. Theres a possibility that it can be proven to not exist beyond a reasonable doubt. Using logical inconsistencies and so forth. But you never get too many people actually giving you a good description of the god they believe in, most of the time it's a really vague description, like god is love or something like that, which doesn't really describe anything.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I'd pause, nod, think to myself "well, duh", and go back to whatever I was doing.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
If I changed anything it would simply be that I would stop saying "peace be on your soul" every time I saw or heard of someone(person or animal) who has died. My faith isn't dependant on any god's existence and even The Force(s) that I believe in, even if it were proven that there were no such "energy field" and that emotions and things like that which I believe to be aspects of The Force(s) are nothing more then chemical reactions, I would still follow my philosophy of finding a middle path and using my emotions as tools and guides. This philosophy has helped me live a fuller life, has taught me a lot and helped me become more disciplined. I see no reason to sacrifice all that just because the mythology behind it is proven false, especially since I'm aware and accept that it is most likely false anyway. I think far too many people get too hung up on the mythology of their religion and forget to just live their religion. It's about the morals gleamed from the stories, not the stories themselves.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'd stop my soul-searching, maybe eat 'till I got fat, then struggle to shift the weight. Hey, I'd need something else to keep me busy. :D

In all honesty, I don't think I'd do anything differently. I'd probably wonder 'how did they come to this conclusion?'. I think society as a whole would shift onto something else as God (like pantheism).

Bedlam

Improperly Undefined
I imagine there would still be traffic, my car would still break down, and I'd still have to pay taxes.

But I personally feel that a little part of the world would get better. So I think it would make me just a tiny bit happier.

Beyond that I can't say I'd care. But I guess that's the obvious answer coming from an Atheist.

:eek:)

CarlinKnew

I didn't guess that everyone would be so nonchalant about finding the answer to humanity's biggest question. It seems as if it would have little or no impact on those who've replied. That's interesting, thanks for your responses.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I didn't guess that everyone would be so nonchalant about finding the answer to humanity's biggest question. It seems as if it would have little or no impact on those who've replied. That's interesting, thanks for your responses.
Well, that would only mean I got it right, sort of..
It would almost be as the news that the cropcirkels were actually made by humans instead of aliens :D
Besides, I am not evil enough to rub it in..

logician

One could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that no god exists, and there still would be billions who believed in some god, because belief is not based upon evidence, but faith.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Hypothetically... because it is impossible...

Firstly, I'd question my notion of reality at all, since I have had experience that would defy the assertion that God does not exist beyond a reasonable doubt...

It would mess with me for at least a little bit... I'm not sure what I would do... It would be similar to the idea that your whole life has been an illusion, the things you've seen, heard, felt, and thought were all placed there...

ranjana

nothing in my life would actually look any different; i would still meditate because it brings such equanimity and peace. i would still strive to be a kind person, but wise and tough. I would feel an emptiness where a huge source of energy came from though. i would actually probably be part of the renegade believers in something deeper than the physical reality. i know most ppl would continue to believe like Logician said, because faith is not based on evidence.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Nothing would change at all. So my question to you is. Lets reverse it and say: What would you do if it was proven God did exist?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Nothing would change at all.
I find that hard to believe.
Not because of anything in particular that you would or would not do differently, but because there will be those around you that would radically change.

So my question to you is. Lets reverse it and say: What would you do if it was proven God did exist?
It would not change my beliefs one way or the other.
It would change my life (though I cannot say how much) simply because of all those around me who have strong beliefs both ways.