• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it was proven that God doesn't exist

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Now theres an honest answer. This invisible fairy godfather has no impact on us at all.:D

He has impacted my life so greatly that I could not change if I wanted to. I would live my life the same. Would get up in the morning for work. I would still pray. I would still study the Bible. I would do everything and live entirely the same as I do now.

So what would you do if it was proven God does exist?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
He has impacted my life so greatly that I could not change if I wanted to. I would live my life the same. Would get up in the morning for work. I would still pray. I would still study the Bible. I would do everything and live entirely the same as I do now.

One doesn't need to believe in the Christian god in order to act like a Christian, nor does one need to accept Jesus as lord and savior in order to try and be more like him.

So what would you do if it was proven God does exist?

hey enoch why not start another thread about this? You'd be able to get a wider array of answers and it wouldn't risk dragging this thread off topic. Though you'll have to specify just which god or gods you wish to focus on:D

Enoch07

Premium Member
hey enoch why not start another thread about this? You'd be able to get a wider array of answers and it wouldn't risk dragging this thread off topic. Though you'll have to specify just which god or gods you wish to focus on:D

Its a related topic so its not derailing it too much. But I guess it don't matter. Not like anyone has the kajones to answer it honestly anyways.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Its a related topic so its not derailing it too much. But I guess it don't matter. Not like anyone has the kajones to answer it honestly anyways.
There actually was a similar thread: HERE. There were actually quite a lot of people with the cajones to answer honestly.

logician

Nothing would change at all. So my question to you is. Lets reverse it and say: What would you do if it was proven God did exist?

That still wouldn't imply that any particular RELIGION was correct, or said god required our worship. I would simply accept the evidence and go on about my business.

CarlinKnew

One could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that no god exists, and there still would be billions who believed in some god, because belief is not based upon evidence, but faith.

I doubt that. Belief in God requires the (imagined) possibility that he might exist. Anyway the premise of this thread is that everyone is convinced God doesn't exist.

CarlinKnew

Nothing would change at all.

Well, at least one thing would change: you wouldn't believe in God, you would know he doesn't exist. This wouldn't change your life in any way whatsoever?

Why would you pray?

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Why would you pray?
I don't mean to speak for Enoch, but I can see why some people might continue to pray. Some theists use a kind of meditation they call prayer. I can see the perspective that it's beneficial to continue regardless of whether anyone's listening.

CarlinKnew

I don't mean to speak for Enoch, but I can see why some people might continue to pray. Some theists use a kind of meditation they call prayer. I can see the perspective that it's beneficial to continue regardless of whether anyone's listening.

It makes sense from a meditation point of view, but how about asking for favors and for forgiveness from sins?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would continue with asking for things. Forgiveness of sins... eh, it could go either way.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
It makes sense from a meditation point of view, but how about asking for favors and for forgiveness from sins?

I don't know about asking for favors, but asking forgiveness could definitely still have a purpose, you would just be asking for forgiveness from yourself instead of from god.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Well, at least one thing would change: you wouldn't believe in God, you would know he doesn't exist. This wouldn't change your life in any way whatsoever?

Why would you pray?

Nope I would continue going on as normal. I would buy 2 more clips for my 9mm and a some more ammo, so that I can be more prepared for the crazies that would erupt from this news. But other than that business as usual. Thing is, its not hurting anyone or myself so why would I stop? If I am wrong and there is no afterlife. Who cares really? We all go poof vanish your not even of conscious thought to know you was right or wrong. But if I am right, and there is an afterlife. I will be somewhat prepared, and you will be there feeling awfully foolish. So why would it be wrong to stop just because "man", who at one time thought the moon was made of cheese among many other crazy thoughts, said otherwise.

CarlinKnew

Nope I would continue going on as normal. I would buy 2 more clips for my 9mm and a some more ammo, so that I can be more prepared for the crazies that would erupt from this news. But other than that business as usual. Thing is, its not hurting anyone or myself so why would I stop? If I am wrong and there is no afterlife. Who cares really? We all go poof vanish your not even of conscious thought to know you was right or wrong. But if I am right, and there is an afterlife. I will be somewhat prepared, and you will be there feeling awfully foolish. So why would it be wrong to stop just because "man", who at one time thought the moon was made of cheese among many other crazy thoughts, said otherwise.

In this thread I'm asking, if you were convinced God doesn't exist, how would your life change? You're replying as if you would still believe God exists, which is irrelevant to this thread...

opuntia

Religion is Law
There would be no afterlife, nothing after death. After you die, no one really has any need to remember you except perhaps for any examples you left. For some people, this will be a perfect excuse to do as they please while they are here on earth since there is no following punishment except puny man's law. Imagine the crime rate soaring from the present numbers of today. Science can then become the savior of the world if it is possible. Or it may destroy us. People will behave differently with such a knowledge and it is not likely to be all good. Despondency could rise and suicides could become a normal reaction if there is nothing beyond this earth life. Life would be precarious at best, certainly an adventure and it will likely be the survival of the fittest--Darwinians' dream come true! And last of all, who is going to save us if we destroy ourselves?

CarlinKnew

There would be no afterlife, nothing after death. After you die, no one really has any need to remember you except perhaps for any examples you left. For some people, this will be a perfect excuse to do as they please while they are here on earth since there is no following punishment except puny man's law. Imagine the crime rate soaring from the present numbers of today. Science can then become the savior of the world if it is possible. Or it may destroy us. People will behave differently with such a knowledge and it is not likely to be all good. Despondency could rise and suicides could become a normal reaction if there is nothing beyond this earth life. Life would be precarious at best, certainly an adventure and it will likely be the survival of the fittest--Darwinians' dream come true! And last of all, who is going to save us if we destroy ourselves?

You mention crime and suicide rates soaring, but what about you personally? Would you be committing crimes? Would you commit suicide? I'm interested in how you would react personally.

Tristesse

Your making all kinds of assumptions. You don't need the belief in an afterlife to behave in a society. I don't, and I'm sure there are many more people who don't. It's actually a very simple principal, I don't want my stuff stolen and I don't want to be murdered, and I found this other group of people who don't want any of that either. Therefore we enact laws that punish those who commit those crimes. And your example that there would be chaos, well, there might be, if people just gave up there faith or belief in the afterlife for no good reason. But if everyone embraced reality and gave up those beliefs for good reasons, than I have no reason to think they would act any worse towards each other, in fact the opposite might be the case.

Sententia

I dunno. Look for another explanation for my experiences, I suppose. ETA: I'd still be UU.

I am finding that out... Some people say... well if god was 100% dis proven then I might consider other alternatives... but I think for most it wouldn't make a difference. They would continue to believe because their faith is true.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Scary isn't it?
That you believe in a god so that you have to be a good person.

I on the other hand am a good person because I want to be a good person.
Not because I am afraid of some eternal punishment if I am not.