• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God spoke again...

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
How is that going to help all of humanity that is in dire need of solutions to the present-day problems we are facing?

Because solving our problems requires common sense.

What does the Bible say about preventing Global Warming ?
Salination of the soil ?
Deforestation ?
Fossil fuels ?
The loss of insect populations due to insecticide ?

So far, the ‘messengers’ have missed all the serious issues !

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
If God spoke again through a new Messenger who had a message for all of humanity, would it “matter” if the adherents to the older religions recognized that Messenger and followed His religion, or would it be acceptable for religious people to continue following the older religions they adhere to?

If you think it matters why do you think so?

If you think it does not matter why don’t you think so?

It depends. One could argue that both Christ and Muhammad were Messengers of God. Adherents of both faiths believe their Message to be for all humanity. Should Christians recognise Muhammad and follow His Teachings instead of following Christ’s? The fact of the matter is most Christians didn’t recognise Muhammad and are unlikely to in the foreseeable future. Would the world have been a better place if Christians had become Muslims? Its a big ‘if’ really. But I see your point. If God sends a new Message to humanity, presuming God knows what He’s doing, and like you I believe He does, then it probably would matter if people did or didn’t respond.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
But how would they all know, so they could all talk about it?
???

I suggested that God could communicate to each individual.
If that happened, do you seriously think no one would talk about it ?
It would be the single biggest event in human history !

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
That is because people are looking at the messages from the Messengers of older religions, and the issues have changed a lot since those scriptures were written.

But they missed the biggest threats to human life in all of history.

That’s a pretty huge Fail.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It did not come from me. I do not speak for God.
Yes you do.
You posted all kinds of things. God never posted, and I've learned things from God that quite contradict things you regularly post.

Take that up with Baha'u'llah,
Let me know when an old dead guy posts on RF.
In the meantime time, I'll see what you and other religionists post, claiming to speak for God.
Like you do.
But I won't give it any credibility.
Tom

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I suggested that God could communicate to each individual.
If that happened, do you seriously think no one would talk about it ?
It would be the single biggest event in human history !
How would everyone KNOW it was God communicating to them, and not just a voice in their head?
God could do something else so everyone would know it was really Him, but it would not be communicating to them individually.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would God speak to a select few instead of simply speaking to everyone to ensure his message was received accurately? Ever play the game 'telephone?'

Can you look directly at the sun without harming your vision?

Likewise, a filter is needed to see What is from God.

RegardsTony

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
How would everyone KNOW it was God communicating to them, and not just a voice in their head?
God could do something else so everyone would know it was really Him, but it would not be communicating to them individually.

I find that response bewildering.

You are saying that if the whole population had a revelation, you would doubt its validity, but you are prepared to believe ancient scribblings ?

And that if God spoke to you, it would be indistinguishable from random voices in your head ?

You don’t give God much credit as a communicator.

You believe God is omnipotent, but incapable of making himself heard ?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But they missed the biggest threats to human life in all of history.

That’s a pretty huge Fail.
Those were not threats back when the older Messengers like Moses, Jesus and Muhammad appeared....

Baha'u'llah, who came in the 19th century, did not miss any of these threats; He knew what they were and He wrote about them and even predicted some of them and He warned the kings and rulers what would happen if they did not listen to Him. they did not listen so now here we are.... :(

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Can you look directly at the sun without harming your vision?

Likewise, a filter is needed to see What is from God.

RegardsTony

I looked at the sun when I was young, and extremely high. (1973)
It was glorious.

It burned a hole in my retina. For a year or so, when I closed my eyes I could see a (relatively) large disc, with shapes like flames moving inside it.
After that, it became a blue star, for many years.
An ophthalmologist noticed the scarring in 2000.
There is no scarring now, nor any residual effects.

Ditto for the God business.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Depending upon how one interprets the New Testament, Jesus also foretold another one who would come after Him. Just like Moses, all Prophets do that. We just need to be able to understand what they are saying...

John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for hedwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

John 16:12-14 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The "spirit of the truth" was God's holy spirit, not another physical prophet. Do you see that no prophet is mentioned in those verses?....the "Paraclete" was to be a "comforter".

The holy spirit came to Jesus's disciples about 17 centuries before Baháʼu'lláh made his appearance.

Before he returned to heaven (40 days after his resurrection) he told his apostles to stay in Jerusalem and prepare for this comforter to arrive. The holy spirit was poured out on 120 of Jesus' disciples and gave them miraculous gifts of the spirit.

To my knowledge, your prophet had no such gifts and was only self-proclaimed. Jesus had both the power of God's spirit AND the audible proof that he was God's son. (Matthew 3:17)

Baháʼu'lláh's role as a prophet is only accepted by Bahai's....as an offshoot of Islam. I do not believe that he is mentioned in the Christian scriptures at all.....they have to be twisted or misinterpreted to make an Islamic prophet even fit.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Those were not threats back when the older Messengers like Moses, Jesus and Muhammad appeared....

Baha'u'llah, who came in the 19th century, did not miss any of these threats; He knew what they were and He wrote about them and even predicted some of them and He warned the kings and rulers what would happen if they did not listen to Him. they did not listen so now here we are.... :(

Tesla warned everyone too.
Humans are extraordinary in many ways, but terminally stupid in others.
Take me for example....

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes you do.
You posted all kinds of things. God never posted, and I've learned things from God that quite contradict things you regularly post.
God does not post on forums.
I do not know how you know you have learned things from God.
Let me know when an old dead guy posts on RF.
In the meantime time, I'll see what you and other religionists post, claiming to speak for God.
Like you do.
But I won't give it any credibility.
Tom
Baha'u'llah does not post on forums.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Seems like an odd way to hope to successfully communicate a message.

Why do we have tests in school, are we not educated into this way of progression?
I looked at the sun when I was young, and extremely high. (1973)
It was glorious.

It burned a hole in my retina. For a year or so, when I closed my eyes I could see a (relatively) large disc, with shapes like flames moving inside it.
After that, it became a blue star, for many years.
An ophthalmologist noticed the scarring in 2000.
There is no scarring now, nor any residual effects.

Ditto for the God business.

So you are confirming to us all, that looking at the Sun and for God without the filter, is first damaging and the end result is no fruitful gain?

Regards Tony