• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God is the most merciful & compassionate

Looncall

Newton's law of action & reaction. Also Bhagavad Gita.

Piffle, Newton's laws apply only to objects in motion. You are talking about souls.

The fact that a notion is mentioned in some book is not evidence that the notion is factual. Do you have anything real?

Anyway, this is a deviation from the topic...

How typical: a religious type is asked for evidence, then runs away.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I stole candy from a convenience store once. My father took my palm and held it to a lighter for a bit. I cried and nursed my hand and I learned my lesson. I haven't stolen from a store ever again.
What type of father would burn thier kids as punishment?

jumpingjoy

I stole candy from a convenience store once. My father took my palm and held it to a lighter for a bit. I cried and nursed my hand and I learned my lesson. I haven't stolen from a store ever again.

Where I come from your father would have been put in prison for such an evil act, far worse than you stealing from the sweet shop!:eek:

Midnight Pete

My mother would never throw me in fire to teach me a lesson, much less for an eternity of unrelenting, unimaginable pain and suffering within a never-ending fire because I made a mistake or thought something that was wrong.

:shrug:

To be fair, your mother cannot see all nor does she know all. Your mother is not the Creator of the universe with a vested interest in mankind and a long view of human affairs.

waitasec

Veteran Member
To be fair, your mother cannot see all nor does she know all. Your mother is not the Creator of the universe with a vested interest in mankind and a long view of human affairs.

wow..now that was a whopper...:biglaugh:

wait, don't you have a relationship with god? :confused:

atmarama

Struggling Spiritualist

piffle yourself sir...

Newton's laws apply only to objects in motion. You are talking about souls.

Well, not so sure about that buddy... "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" - no mention of objects or souls there... I take it as across the board. Of course you are "free" to take it as you will.

The fact that a notion is mentioned in some book is not evidence that the notion is factual

hmmm. Obviously I accept Gita as authoritative. It is not "some book"... I've observed the world, it is Gita in action. If you read it you may benefit immensely, who knows? But you will only know when/if you do :yes: - I don't need to convince you to validate the truth for myself though ;)

How typical: a religious type is asked for evidence, then runs away.

Not running away, just trying to get back to topic as this is a forum with a specific topic... To answer honestly, the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. Only if you develop a taste for spiritual life will you have evidence. The evidence is within. It cannot be produced on an internet forum. When one develops a higher taste he can't help but give up the lower thing.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Well, not so sure about that buddy... "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" - no mention of objects or souls there... I take it as across the board. Of course you are "free" to take it as you will.
No, you are not. It is a statement about physics, and only physics. Not only that, but what you quoted is actually a layman's version of the technical rule: "Momentum is conserved." Applying it to any other situation is silly.

Looncall

Not running away, just trying to get back to topic as this is a forum with a specific topic... To answer honestly, the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. Only if you develop a taste for spiritual life will you have evidence. The evidence is within. It cannot be produced on an internet forum. When one develops a higher taste he can't help but give up the lower thing.

Yawn. The same old stuff. "You can't have evidence unless you already believe." How tiresome, and what a scam.

Looncall

Thank you :)

As I see it, religion in its ideal form aims to unite humanity in truth.

You are welcome.

I'm not sure about ideal forms. I think it more likely that religion is just a relic of ancient errors in explaining the natural world, later developed as a tool for subjugating humanity under tyranny.

atmarama

Struggling Spiritualist
Yawn. The same old stuff. "You can't have evidence unless you already believe." How tiresome, and what a scam.

If you're not interested in spiritual topics why not be somewhere else? :canoe:

There does first need to be shraddha, faith, but that is the same with anything. To begin anything in the world there needs to be some faith that it will work out. Like to begin playing guitar you need faith you'll be able to do it - and that goes for just about anything :yes:

Again, I don't need to convince you :sorry1: The "evidence" manifests in your heart when you deserve it - but first one needs to become a little humble. If you already think you know it all it is not possible to come to knowledge.:slap:

jtartar

Dear fellow spiritualists,

This is a question that I have never understood the answer to within the christian & islamic faiths specifically. That if one does not "accept", "believe" or "follow" a particular religion then they will go to hell for all eternity. A punishment seemingly MUCH worse than any possible offense...

If the Lord is Supremely Merciful, then how would such an action (eternal damnation) be justified?

According to the Vedic viewpoint, there are hellish planets, and depending on our actions & decisions now(and past) we can go to suffer there - but not for eternity... The punishment is directly proportional to the particular sins incurred. After that once again we can receive a human body (by which time we may be adverse to sinful life due to having been to the hellish planets) with which to advance in spiritual understanding and connect to the Supreme Lord.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this,

Thanks!
Atmarama

atmarama,
The Bible tells us that the Name of God is being Blasphemed because of people who profess to believe and follow the Bible, but who DO NOT, Rom 2:23,24. One reason for this is thedoctrine of HELL FIRE. This doctrine is completely false!!!
God, who CANNOT LIE, Titus 1:2, Heb 6:18, says that He is merciful, Ps 86:15, and that He never would do anything wicked, Job 34:10,12. Could God punish a person for eternity, for anything that a person could do for a few years of life, in this system of things, and still call Himself a righteous Judge??? No one could call this righteous.
The fact is: God has never had recorded that He intends to punish people for eternity. The words torment, in Revelation, 14:10,11, 20:10, actually meant to be locked away from God, forever. We can se this by what the Bible says in other places about the final end of wicked ones. Consider John 3:16, which some have said is The Gospel in Miniature. Notice this scripture says that people who do not have faith will be DESTROYED. This means DEATH, not torment, actually what the Bible calls The Second Death, The Lake of Fire, Rev 20:14,15, 21:8. Even more to the point is 2Thess 1:6-9, which tells us the Judicial Judgement for people who do not know God and who do not obey Jesus is Everlasting Destruction. Not torment.
An important thing to understand is: a person who has died does not know anything, therefore cannot feel anything, because a dead person becomes soil of the earth, as men originally started, Gen 2:7, Ecc 3:18-20, 9:5,6,10, Ps 146:3,4.
As anyone who studies the Holy Scriptures knows, the punishment for sin is death, Rom 6:23. In this scripture it says the WAGES sin PAYS is death. Compare this thought to a person working for wages. When he is paid his wages, he is owed nothing else, and neither does he owe his employer anything, they are even. This same principle is applied to sins. When a person pays for his sins with the ULTIMATE PRICE, his life, he owes nothing else. This is stated exactly at Rom 6:7, which says that a person who has died is ACQUITTED FROM HIS SIN!!! Therefore if God punished the person who has died God would Himself be UNJUST.
The word HELL, is a corrupted translation of the Greek word HADES, which just means the common grave of mankind, with no implied punishment, only non existence, or annihilation. Compare Ps 16:10 with Acts 2:27,31, both mean just the grave. Notice that in these scriptures Jesus was in Hades. God would nEVER have allowed His son to be in a place of torment, even for a second!!!

Ungweliante

Devotional ecstatic
I'm not sure about ideal forms. I think it more likely that religion is just a relic of ancient errors in explaining the natural world, later developed as a tool for subjugating humanity under tyranny.

It's difficult to say what it was originally meant for. However, etymology can offer some clues about it. I made another thread about it in the science vs. religion -section, but regrettably I cannot link it because of the low post count. Essentially, science originally may well have meant "to divide, to separate", while religion may have meant "to reconnect, to reunite".

In many of the world's religions, there's deep philosophical analysis. Some examples:

• Buddhism: Nagarjuna "Fundamental Verses of the Middle Way (Mūlamadhyamaka-kārikā)"
  • Hinduism: Patanjali "Yoga Sutras"
  • Christianity: St. Thomas Aquinas "Summa Theologica" and Johannes Scotus Eriugena "De Divisione Naturae (Periphyseon)"
  • Sufism: Ibn 'Arabi "Bezels of Wisdom"
The list goes on :)

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Dear fellow spiritualists,

This is a question that I have never understood the answer to within the christian & islamic faiths specifically. That if one does not "accept", "believe" or "follow" a particular religion then they will go to hell for all eternity. A punishment seemingly MUCH worse than any possible offense...

If the Lord is Supremely Merciful, then how would such an action (eternal damnation) be justified?

According to the Vedic viewpoint, there are hellish planets, and depending on our actions & decisions now(and past) we can go to suffer there - but not for eternity... The punishment is directly proportional to the particular sins incurred. After that once again we can receive a human body (by which time we may be adverse to sinful life due to having been to the hellish planets) with which to advance in spiritual understanding and connect to the Supreme Lord.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this,

Thanks!
Atmarama
Could you offer a Biblical agument that the God of the Bible is "supremely merciful" and give us a definition of what you think this term means?