• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Christ wasn't the messiah, what was he?

rubi

My belief is that the God of the Old Testament was not God the Father, but Satan. This inference stems from God not wanting Adam and Eve to eat of the tree of knowledge. They were conned by Satan. God gave them to Satan, who was given the job to rule as the Lord of the Earth and care of the humans. This explains the nature of the God of the Old Testament being both good and evil. Good and Evil was the tree of Satan. The God of creation was neutral. God did not make equal parts matter and antimatter like good and evil. He made matter.

The other premise is connected to God and his Sabbath rest. On the seventh day God rested. The Bible does not tell us how long this rest lasted. We can infer that based on comparing the first six days of creation to that comes after. One may notice there is nothing as epic in the Bible, as the first six days, until Revelations; new heaven and earth. You do not need God to part the sea, since Satan could do that as Lord of the Earth. Even images of Hell has Satan connected to the Earth.

During a Sabbath rest, one is not suppose to work. If the Sabbath is an image of heavenly things, God would not be working, while he rested. He would have made arrangements in advance for others to do the chores as he rested. God assigned Satan to be Lord of the Earth, as he rested, to care for the humans. The Tree of Knowledge was arranged in advance, knowing Adam and Eve would chose Satan due to his charm. Satan was condoned in heaven at that time; part of the plan as God rested. Satan is not thrown from Heaven until Revelations, when God was getting ready to go back to work.

Jesus, before he began his ministry, was approached by Satan who among others things offers him all the wealth and power of the kingdom of the Earth, if Jesus would bow and serve him. Had he accepted the offer he would have become the Messiah who was expected; rich and powerful and able to subdue the enemies of Israel. But Jesus refuses the offer.

Jesus said, nobody has seen the Father, except the son. This comment goes back to the Sabbath rest. Jesus was also on Sabbath rest; Father and Son both resting. When Jesus refuses the offer of the Messiah Job, he had no choice, since as the son, he too was on Sabbath rest and he could not work as the Messiah. However, this offer violated the pact between Satan and God; political problems appear, since Satan tried to get his son to violate the Sabbath. Jesus would flow with the spirit and wait until God was ready to work. This is described in Revelations as Jesus and the Father both prepare, to set a new cycle of creation in motion; uninstall and reinstall.
In Genesis 3:14 God is cursing the serpent contradicting your theory. additionally, it was God who promised Avraham the holy land and it was he who got the people of Israel out of Egypt to Mount Sinai and told us 613 commandments, which as I was told, Christ was not objecting to them or telling his followers this commandments were the word Satan. Also, I do recall the first commandment of the ten commandments Exodus 20:2 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." in this phrase, God identified by his name. Judaism does not believe in two gods

In Genesis 3:14 God is cursing the serpent contradicting your theory. additionally, it was God who promised Avraham the holy land and it was he who got the people of Israel out of Egypt to Mount Sinai and told us 613 commandments, which as I was told, Christ was not objecting to them or telling his followers this commandments were the word Satan. Also, I do recall the first commandment of the ten commandments Exodus 20:2 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." in this phrase, God identified by his name. Judaism does not believe in two gods
Dear Rudi,

I don't know what I'm getting myself into; however, I take it that you wish an honest Christian perspective. I will attempt with the LORD's help to provide you with a clear understanding from both the OLD and NEW Testaments. Firstly, I understand GOD to be ONE GOD. This I take to be a GODHEAD formulated as THREE eternal and coequal beings, who in fact are in full agreement with each other and committed to each other. They share in every virtue and together THEY are TOTAL GOD. This essence is entirely and eternally unique in every way; however, GOD does provide illustrations of HIS nature in HIS creation. One would be the EGG. An egg is made up of a shell, egg white, and the yoke. Together they are "egg." Separately, each is "egg". Each part has an ultimate purpose, while each supports the whole EGG. Humans are also triune in nature. Each possesses a body, soul, and spirit. The body is that which everyone sees. The soul is that thriving entity that make me - me and you - you. And our spirit is the part that is our motivational nature. What we want and what we do is manipulated by our spirit.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

A Christian should see this as GOD interacting with HIS inner being ---in HIS triunity to establish humanity. I've often heard Jews interpret this to be a revelation of ALMIGHTY GOD and absolute power, and as I can see that point; however, this revelation seems to be revealing so much more than that. GOD isn't lonely. GOD is capable of sustaining eternal love.

Bereshis 1:26-28

26 And G-d said, Let Us make man in Our tzelem, after Our demut: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon ha’aretz (the earth).​

Last edited:
Please consider along with the above Colossians 1:1-29

1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
7 As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;
8 Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.
9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:
25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

It is apparent that the Father is invisible and directs what is to occur and when. The MESSIAH/CHRIST is the visible creative force. And the HOLY SPIRIT is the motivational.

@Little Nipper -

Since the so-called Orthodox Jewish Bible is not Jewish, let alone Orthodox, you might want to quit while you’re behind and not quote from it further.
I feel that a NEW TESTAMENT that reveals key words in Hebrew is helpful to understanding what a literal translation is and brings a clearer understanding of the MESSIAH/CHRIST. As for being behind, it would seem to depend upon whom one places his faith and trust.

So, you believe in predestination? If that's the case, then anything I do wrong I can blame God for?
I believe that GOD is fully aware of what everyone is thinking and planning to do. And if something is going against GOD divine will, HE will step in. One cannot blame GOD for foreknowing what one's intentions are. As for predestination, GOD predestined that both you and I would be born by allowing sin to occur. The only reason the two of us exist is on account that Adam and Eve sinned. If they had not sinned, our existence would be in doubt, as we were born in sin.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
@Little Nipper -

Since the so-called Orthodox Jewish Bible is not Jewish, let alone Orthodox, you might want to quit while you’re behind and not quote from it further.

It's my understanding that Phillip E. Goble's "The Orthodox Jewish Bible" is liberally sprinkled with Hebrew and Yiddish terms in order to add some flavor of "authenticity" to its basic purpose of converting Jews to Christianity.

Sooo many Yiddish terms in that thing...

One question: Did Jesus speak Yiddish? Who knew!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe that GOD is fully aware of what everyone is thinking and planning to do. And if something is going against GOD divine will, HE will step in. One cannot blame GOD for foreknowing what one's intentions are. As for predestination, GOD predestined that both you and I would be born by allowing sin to occur. The only reason the two of us exist is on account that Adam and Eve sinned. If they had not sinned, our existence would be in doubt, as we were born in sin.
I don't believe that because it puts God in the position of creating evil with some people per Calvinism. And the question of God being omniscient is very problematic.

Also, I do not believe Adam & Eve were real people but are symbolic in the context of myth [story teaching basic beliefs & morals].

It's my understanding that Phillip E. Goble's "The Orthodox Jewish Bible" is liberally sprinkled with Hebrew and Yiddish terms in order to add some flavor of "authenticity" to its basic purpose of converting Jews to Christianity.

Sooo many Yiddish terms in that thing...

One question: Did Jesus speak Yiddish? Who knew!
I feel the intent is not to convert Jews but to introduce Jews to the MESSIAH whom they are still waiting the arrival of. As for Yiddish, Jesus apparently spoke Aramaic --- the common language of that time. Though JESUS did speak to the teachers of the LAW in the temple at Jerusalem at the age of 12, and astounded them with HIS knowledge --- so HE would have spoken and read Hebrew also in order to read scripture and explain it.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
I feel the intent is not to convert Jews but to introduce Jews to the MESSIAH whom they are still waiting the arrival of. As for Yiddish, Jesus apparently spoke Aramaic --- the common language of that time. Though JESUS did speak to the teachers of the LAW in the temple at Jerusalem at the age of 12, and astounded them with HIS knowledge --- so HE would have spoken and read Hebrew also in order to read scripture and explain it.

Aramaic is clearly not Yiddish, and there's something farshtunken in that innocently claimed intent merely "to introduce Jews to the MESSIAH..."

rosends

We have been introduced and we threw him to the curb even before he died, all those years ago.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I feel that a NEW TESTAMENT that reveals key words in Hebrew is helpful to understanding what a literal translation is and brings a clearer understanding of the MESSIAH/CHRIST. As for being behind, it would seem to depend upon whom one places his faith and trust.
I think most people forget that almost all of the NT was written by Jewish people who understood the meaning of the TaNaKh and applied it as such.

We have been introduced and we threw him to the curb even before he died, all those years ago.
And GOD allowed the Romans to destroy their temple built by Herod as I believe a direct result. It must be understood that nearly all Apostles and most of the disciples were Jews.
Joseph of Arimathea was a biblical figure who played an important role in the burial of Jesus Christ. His account can be found in each of the four Gospels: Matthew 27:57–60; Mark 15:42–46; Luke 23:50–53; and John 19:38–42. He is called “Joseph of Arimathea” because “he came from the Judean town of Arimathea” (Luke 23:51) We do know that Joseph was actually a part of the Council, or Sanhedrin who "threw Jesus to the curb."

rosends

And GOD allowed the Romans to destroy their temple built by Herod as I believe a direct result. It must be understood that nearly all Apostles and most of the disciples were Jews.
Joseph of Arimathea was a biblical figure who played an important role in the burial of Jesus Christ. His account can be found in each of the four Gospels: Matthew 27:57–60; Mark 15:42–46; Luke 23:50–53; and John 19:38–42. He is called “Joseph of Arimathea” because “he came from the Judean town of Arimathea” (Luke 23:51) We do know that Joseph was actually a part of the Council, or Sanhedrin who "threw Jesus to the curb."
if you are going to make cases from the gospels, about which I don't care, those cases will not be really useful. The temples were destroyed for other reasons, not Jesus.

Jedster

@Rachel Rugelach

I came across quite a few "Messianic Jews" when I was living in London. Many of them would mix in with elderly Jews, carry a copy of The Jewish Chronicle( called the JC..ironic :>)), wear kippot and talk in English with a few Yiddish words dispersed. Many would claim to be born Jews(they were not). I found their whole approach disingenuous.

They seem to think they are 'special Christians' because of their claimed Jewish birth.
I was once introduced to one of their leaders, who refused to speak to me unless I said "Jesus is Lord". What a crock of crap.

I much prefer real Christians who are up front about their faith.
Anyway, Shabbat Shalom :)

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I feel the intent is not to convert Jews but to introduce Jews to the MESSIAH whom they are still waiting the arrival of.
My initial response, post #407, was not intended as an attack on Christianity. It was simply a curt dismissal of the volume from which you chose to quote. If you believe that the CJB was not published with an intent to convert Jews you have obviously not read Goble nor been to the website of the organization behind the CJB’s publication.