• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a ban is passed on so called "assault weapons, what happens next?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It's actually the other way round - many of the tribes that eventually became nomads on the Great Plains were refugees from European colonization.
The Lakota and other Sioux people, for example, were originally a collection of settled agricultural people living in the Ohio river valley and around the Great Lakes region. The land did not "fill with farms and fences", the US government deliberately built forts to intimidate or harass the native population outside its nominal territories, and encouraged illegal settling on land controlled by the Native tribes. What was the deciding factor in North America was a deliberate policy of ethnic cleansing or even outright genocide on part of the US government, enacted over several generations.
...oh, I see. And then some white people starting slaughtering all the buffalo, so yeah. I can believe a deliberate policy of ethnic cleansing, conversion, hand washing took place. That I'll buy. An outright continent wide slaughter I will not believe.

This may or may not be a complete list, but its the Wikipedia list of American massacres and battles:
List of Indian massacres in North America - Wikipedia

The list estimates how many die in each known massacre and battle. From what I gather not that many were outright massacred anywhere near what is suggested by Lyndon; and Lyndon's comment about there being more indigenous in Mexico (because supposedly more were slaughtered here) did not make sense to me. Seemed like hyperbole.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
now you're apologizing for genocidal colonialists. obviously there was a lot less genocide in Mexico, otherwise most of the people wouldn't be brown

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If a ban is passed on so called assault weapons. What happens next?

-Does the government confiscate the ones that people already own
-Does the government allow the owners to keep what they have but not allow any more sales
-Does the government buy back the ones people already own at their set price
-Does the government say you have 60 days to turn them in or else
Or......

Have a party, throw them all on the ground, I will bring the Sheepfoot Steel drum roller and have a great time.

Do not stop there though, throw all on the ground, every last weapon!

Regards Tony

Lyndon

Premium Member
funny that you would consider getting murdered by a gun a freedom, just shows you how crazy America has become.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Where did that info come from?

Or did you make that up?
No Twilight...... I took notice of mass shooting reports as they happened and I don't remember any the killers obtaining their guns illegally. And obviously nor can you or you would have posted up the one of two occasions which you found. There were 170 shootings with four or more victims in the USA in January and February of this year so maybe you could trawl through those?

Same as in the UK ...... Thomas Hamilton owned all his guns as did Ryan and others.

What you seem to miss is that in a country where only police and military can own assault-type weapons this makes it very easy for police EVERY TIME they see such weapons in private hands, car boots etc. Every one would be illegal with no doubts whatsoever.
You could have your shotgun and rifle and handguns if you're frightened at home and didn't buy decent windows and doors, but not semi-auto big-mag rifles. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well maybe the Revolutionary War was fought without guns to be free from the British.

Or when you all fought each other not many decades later.

But this is 2021 and the US has circa 85 gun deaths per day.
Oh...... and gun insurance is almost unheard of.

What you need is testing, licensing, insuring, police criminal checks, police home survetys, mandatory gun safes and a ban on big-mag semi-auto rifles. Easy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No Twilight...... I took notice of mass shooting reports as they happened and I don't remember any the killers obtaining their guns illegally. And obviously nor can you or you would have posted up the one of two occasions which you found. There were 170 shootings with four or more victims in the USA in January and February of this year so maybe you could trawl through those?

Same as in the UK ...... Thomas Hamilton owned all his guns as did Ryan and others.

What you seem to miss is that in a country where only police and military can own assault-type weapons this makes it very easy for police EVERY TIME they see such weapons in private hands, car boots etc. Every one would be illegal with no doubts whatsoever.
You could have your shotgun and rifle and handguns if you're frightened at home and didn't buy decent windows and doors, but not semi-auto big-mag rifles. :)
This is the first generation of society that is too immature for safe and responsible ownership of firearms.

This might be a surprise for you, but I agree gun laws need tweeking and am not against having gun specs restrictions to limit civilian use to bolt , breech, and lever action firearms as opposed to semi automatic with large clip size due to the immature and irresponsible society we live in today.

I'm against licensure because of the second amendment, but would not be against manditory certification requirements for safe handling and gun use prior to ownership. Similar to hunter safety courses.

Lyndon

Premium Member
So the Wild West in one of your examples of safe use of firearms

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Trading freedom for safety.
It's fascinating how your narrative turns on its head whenever a new set of facts is being introduced, yet your conclusion always seem to remain the same regardless of what empirical foundation you are basing it on.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This is the first generation of society that is too immature for safe and responsible ownership of firearms.

This might be a surprise for you, but I agree gun laws need tweeking and am not against having gun specs restrictions to limit civilian use to bolt , breech, and lever action firearms as opposed to semi automatic with large clip size due to the immature and irresponsible society we live in today.

I'm against licensure because of the second amendment, but would not be against manditory certification requirements for safe handling and gun use prior to ownership. Similar to hunter safety courses.
If that was achieved, just that, then it would be a huge step forward TH.
I think insurance for gun owners would be good as well, because of you ever get shot by accident by a penniless gunner at least the insurance will do right by you.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The gun has only one purpose. It is invented to kill.

Why would any person want to own such a thing?

That is the crux of gun ownership, as every one that owns a gun will have an excuse why they want to own something that is designed to kill.

Then on the other hand there are the by-products of inventions that were designed to kill, some of those by-products became useful and life-giving for humanity.

Luckily, after I had a life with guns in the military and then carrying that use over into civilian life, I found it is possible to change ones mind about any need to own one and have been happily rid of them for 30 years.

Regards Tony

Curious George

Veteran Member
Why would any person want to own such a thing?

That is the crux of gun ownership, as every one that owns a gun will have an excuse why they want to own something that is designed to kill.

I agree. Guns are designed to fire projectiles to incapacitate or kill.

I, however, think it is terribly naive to imagine we live in a world where the necessity of killing or incapacitation is not a reality.

I also find it very presumptuous for people who have made a choice to not own a gun to want to force that same decision on others, regardless of their circumstances.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree. Guns are designed to fire projectiles to incapacitate or kill.

I, however, think it is terribly naive to imagine we live in a world where the necessity of killing or incapacitation is not a reality.

I also find it very presumptuous for people who have made a choice to not own a gun to want to force that same decision on others, regardless of their circumstances.

I personally see a future where it would not be naive, in this age we have many that would be happy to melt them down, one and all of them. People have had enough of war and bloodshed.

It is also my guess the people that have been unjustly killed by guns, would most likely not think it is presumptuous for people to speak up.

Regards Tony