• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a ban is passed on so called "assault weapons, what happens next?

We Never Know

No Slack
That's a violation of an individual's right to privacy. You really want to have to devuoge your medical history to buy a gun? And why should someone with a mental illness not be allowed to have a gun? Someone has anxiety so they shouldn't be allowed to have a hunting rifle?

No, what they need to do is ban people who have been judged a danger to themselves or others or people convicted of violent crimes from owning a gun, at least for a number of years (people can change). My upstairs neighbor is on probation and a violent idiot who has brandished it at people, but somehow he's apparently allowed to own a gun. Go figure.

Isn't it a violation of someone's rights to get shot because an emotionally unstable person could freely buy a gun?

We Never Know

No Slack
In the representative democracy we have, that will be the choice of those whom we elect.

If anyone seriously believes having roughly 300,000,000 estimated guns in circulation in the U.S. alone making us safer, they should go ion for drug testing.
It was hunters, farmers, civilians, etc with guns that fought for and made America, America. Without them we wouldn't be America.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
yes it was European Americans with guns that slaughtered the native Americans and almost exterminated them

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If a ban is passed on so called assault weapons. What happens next?

-Does the government confiscate the ones that people already own
-Does the government allow the owners to keep what they have but not allow any more sales
-Does the government buy back the ones people already own at their set price
-Does the government say you have 60 days to turn them in or else
Or......
they banned firearms Down Under
violent crime got ugly

so now knives are a problem

as a knifemaker.....I will never ship to Aussies
nothing over 12 inch is allowed
so I hear

Crocodile Dundee was a law breaker
hehehehe

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Isn't it a violation of someone's rights to get shot because an emotionally unstable person could freely buy a gun?
I clearly said that people with a history of violence should not be allowed to own a gun. But it's a violation if the law to force people to divulge their medical history to buy a gun.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It was hunters, farmers, civilians, etc with guns that fought for and made America, America. Without them we wouldn't be America.
I never stated nor implied that all guns should be banned, just that it is nonsense to think that having such a proliferation of guns is somehow miraculously making us safer when the comparative international stats clearly show otherwise.

We Never Know

No Slack
I never stated nor implied that all guns should be banned, just that it is nonsense to think that having such a proliferation of guns is somehow miraculously making us safer when the comparative international stats clearly show otherwise.
People kill people whether they use knifes, guns, poisons, bombs, etc.

We Never Know

No Slack
I clearly said that people with a history of violence should not be allowed to own a gun. But it's a violation if the law to force people to divulge their medical history to buy a gun.

Then how could anyone with a medical history be denied purchase of a gun if their medical history is not divulged?
Im not saying make it public but it should be available for a firearm back ground check.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Then how could anyone with a medical history be denied purchase of a gun if their medical history is not divulged?
Im not saying make it public but it should be available for a firearm back ground check.
You go by their legal history. If they have been convicted of a violent crimes or they have been ruled by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others. Dredging through medical histories simply would cause too many problems, legally and otherwise.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
People kill people whether they use knifes, guns, poisons, bombs, etc.
That's just a smokescreen. The biggest problem with guns is that they kill much more effectively and easily than do knives, spears, and sticks.

Not long before Sandy Hook, a man in China went into an elementary classroom and stabbed 22 children. All of them survived. My former neighbor, who was a police officer, was stabbed 17 times over his life, and yet he survived all of them. But can we stay the same about Sandy Hook and other massacres, also such as what happened a few years ago in Las Vegas? Do you think throwing knives down from the hotel would have killed as many?

We Never Know

No Slack
You go by their legal history. If they have been convicted of a violent crimes or they have been ruled by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others. Dredging through medical histories simply would cause too many problems, legally and otherwise.

Diagnoses and or treatment of depression, schizophrenia, etc most mental health issues isn't in their legal history.

We Never Know

No Slack
That's just a smokescreen. The biggest problem with guns is that they kill much more effectively and easily than do knives, spears, and sticks.

Not long before Sandy Hook, a man in China went into an elementary classroom and stabbed 22 children. All of them survived. My former neighbor, who was a police officer, was stabbed 17 times over his life, and yet he survived all of them. But can we stay the same about Sandy Hook and other massacres, also such as what happened a few years ago in Las Vegas? Do you think throwing knives down from the hotel would have killed as many?

What kind of gun did Timothy McVeigh use when he killed 168 peoole in 1995?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Diagnoses and or treatment of depression, schizophrenia, etc most mental health issues isn't in their legal history.
And why should people with those conditions be denied a gun, in of themselves? Mentally ill people aren't any more dangerous, in general, than those who aren't.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It seems you support people with an underlying mental illness being able to purchase firearms, I don't.
I don't support unjust discrimination. I have severe depression, anxiety disorder and borderline personality disorder. I have no history of violence towards others and no history of arrests or anything. Why should I not be allowed to buy a hunting rifle and go deer hunting or what have you? Why should I be banned from buying a handgun or shotgun for self-defense?

A disproportionately large amount of LGBT people have mental health issues, as well as frequently being a target of violence in various areas. Should they not be allowed to have a gun to defend themselves from those who wish to bash them?

Mind you, I have nothing against psychological testing and requiring training and licensing to own a firearm. That seems fair and sane.

Last edited: