• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a ban is passed on so called "assault weapons, what happens next?

Shaul

Premium Member
Here’s something to think about. Since a 3D printer can print a gun, how do proponents of such a ban think it could work?

Shaul

Premium Member
Maybe like most civilised countries you will see a drop in death by shooting incidents.
Then how come the number of firearms deaths had been going down while the number of firearms has been increasing?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Then how come the number of firearms deaths had been going down while the number of firearms has been increasing?
Have you got a reference for that fact?

Anyway, the US figures are far higher than all civilised countries.

Suave

Simulated character
If a ban is passed on so called assault weapons. What happens next?

-Does the government confiscate the ones that people already own
-Does the government allow the owners to keep what they have but not allow any more sales
-Does the government buy back the ones people already own at their set price
-Does the government say you have 60 days to turn them in or else
Or......
The National Firearms Act of 1934 effectively banned fully auto weapons, I suppose this same approach could effectively ban semi auto firearms. Bolt action rifles, pump action shot guns, and six shooter revolvers could be exempted from the same sales restrictions as semi autos in order to adhere to the second amendment.

Suave

Simulated character
Lockdowns! No school work place, church, or public event mass shootings when they are shut down.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
People kill people whether they use knifes, guns, poisons, bombs, etc.
I always find it interesting how gun fetishists will argue that someone who would murder with a gun could just as easily commit mass murder with whatever they happen to have at hand, but then they'll turn right around and argue that if they don't have quick access to a loaded ridiculous firearm with a giant magazine, they won't be able to stop the boogeymen they imagine are out to murder their family.

This kind of hypocrisy would be funny if it didn't have such a death toll associated with it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It was hunters, farmers, civilians, etc with guns that fought for and made America, America. Without them we wouldn't be America.
America wouldn't be America without steam-powered paddlewheel riverboats, either. Doesn't mean that you need to own one yourself today.

Shaul

Premium Member
Have you got a reference for that fact?

Anyway, the US figures are far higher than all civilised countries.
Yes, I do. So, how is it the the number of U.S. firearm deaths has gone down while the number of guns has increased?

Shaul

Premium Member
I suppose their design blueprints could be effectively banned.
That isn’t technically or practically feasible. Anyone with a 3D printer and quite little technical know how can print a gun.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yes, I do. So, how is it the the number of U.S. firearm deaths has gone down while the number of guns has increased?
sorry but your "reference" does not compute!! I'll take it you don't have one.

Shaul

Premium Member
sorry but your "reference" does not compute!! I'll take it you don't have one.
What doesn’t compute would be why I need to answer someone who doesn’t know basic facts, like anyone who doesn’t know that firearms deaths have been going down while the number of firearms has been increasing.

I’ll take it you don’t.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here’s something to think about. Since a 3D printer can print a gun, how do proponents of such a ban think it could work?
The same way emissions controls on cars work.

It takes even less skill and equipment to hollow out a catalytic converter than it would take to 3D print a gun, but mandated emissions controls have still done wonders at improving air quality and reducing harmful pollutants. The fact that some... enthusiasts might circumvent the law doesn't change the law's overall impact in a significant way.

Also, 3D printed guns, while some technically exist, are generally crap... as you would expect from a plastic gun. Yes, you can 3D print something that can fire a bullet once or twice, but they aren't anywhere near as good as guns that are commercially available.

Yes, you may get the odd case of someone who:

- is legally barred from owning firearms
- somehow can't find a way to acquire a black market firearm
- has a specific crime in mind

... but how often does that happen? Probably not never, but it's what a friend of mine calls a "corner case" (i.e. the intersection of two edge cases).

The main focus of any overall policy should be what happens most often. With firearm deaths, what happens most often is suicide with a handgun that was legally owned by the deceased or someone in their household.

Altfish

Veteran Member
When I say, "Have you got a reference for that?" - I expect you to post me a link, then I can read it and enlighten myself before I answer your question.