• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idea or Reality

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Ideas are processes in the brain. Those processes need chemical energy to work, so in this sense ideas do require energy. They also require glucose and ATP. That doesn't mean that ideas *are* energy./QUOTE]

Ideas are processes in the brain? actually they aren't. brain activity is a result of mind. a brain is not necessary for intelligence as shown by bacterial intelligence.

the only thing necessary is electrical-magnetic impulse; which can be related chemically and at the atomic level everything exists.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no significant distinction between a thing and the idea of a thing, other than the idea of a distinction.

I strongly disagree. My idea of a chair is quite different than this chair I am sitting on. I cannot sit on the idea of a chair, but I can sit on an actual chair.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I strongly disagree. My idea of a chair is quite different than this chair I am sitting on. I cannot sit on the idea of a chair, but I can sit on an actual chair.
If your idea of the chair you are sitting on differs radically from the chair, it is but the idea that the chair differs radically from the idea of the chair.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, now why do you think that Platonic ideas exist?

I never ask the question "does such and such exist." For me the answer is always "yes" and the correct question is "in what way do I experience and know this thing?" And in my experiences, there is a plane of reality that is well-expressed by the map Plato drew about the Forms. His map is still not the territory, as no map is, but for me it resonates.

Just to be clear here, I'm really not interested in debating. I'm just clarifying where I was coming from and why your response to what I said doesn't make sense with how I am approaching things. I'm not asking you to change your map of the territory and I'd appreciate a similar courtesy.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I never ask the question "does such and such exist." For me the answer is always "yes" and the correct question is "in what way do I experience and know this thing?" And in my experiences, there is a plane of reality that is well-expressed by the map Plato drew about the Forms. His map is still not the territory, as no map is, but for me it resonates.

Just to be clear here, I'm really not interested in debating. I'm just clarifying where I was coming from and why your response to what I said doesn't make sense with how I am approaching things. I'm not asking you to change your map of the territory and I'd appreciate a similar courtesy.

OK. My position is that Platonism was a horrible philosophical mistake that delayed the development of science by centuries. Aristotelianism was a bit better, but nobody really followed up on it so it stagnated.

So, for me, there are a great many things that do not exist. Unicorns, for example. Deities for another. Platonic ideas for a third.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So, for me, there are a great many things that do not exist. Unicorns, for example. Deities for another. Platonic ideas for a third.
For me, to hold the idea of the chair as something existentially different from the chair is to support a Platonic idea. :)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, to hold the idea of the chair as something existentially different from the chair is to support a Platonic idea. :)

And I would disagree. The idea of a chair is a process in my brain. The chair itself is an object outside of me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

That's fair, though I find it strange, particularly with deities. The gods of many traditions undoubtedly exist even by your own standards, though you probably do not call them gods (nor should you IMO, if you do not deify those things). I've yet to encounter someone who denies they exist, at any rate. It would make for an interesting surprise to finally meet one!

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
There is no "in" in your brain.

That's factually incorrect. Physically, your brain chemicals are located within your brain. You can think yourself to have no activity WITHIN your brain, but i'm quite certain there is activity within mine.

Not to mention there's the word "in" in "brain."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That's fair, though I find it strange, particularly with deities. The gods of many traditions undoubtedly exist even by your own standards, though you probably do not call them gods (nor should you IMO, if you do not deify those things). I've yet to encounter someone who denies they exist, at any rate. It would make for an interesting surprise to finally meet one!

I have no idea why you would think the traditional deities exist by my standards. No I do not believe that Zeus, Athena, Thor, Ahura Mazda, Isis, Horus, or any of the other traditional deities actually exist or existed.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's factually incorrect. Physically, your brain chemicals are located within your brain. You can think yourself to have no activity WITHIN your brain, but i'm quite certain there is activity within mine.
That is not what he was talking about.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Just as you see my viewpoint as strange, I find this one to be *exceedingly* strange. What 'plane of reality' do you speak of? I know of no such thing.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
But not to psychologists.

It still makes no sense. "there is no 'in' in 'brain'" just makes no sense logically speaking.

And he wasn't really talking about psychology. So your reply was really out of hand, and missing the point really hard. He was talking about chemical processed within the brain. That doesn't give you the context to talk about psychology.