• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Love Satan!

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
NoahideHiker said:
I was being a bit tongue and cheek James. :) I was representing the classical view of Satan.

Medieval peasant view would be more accurate. I'm glad you were being tongue in cheek but far too many people seem to take that view as the teaching of Christianity, rather than the bizarre warping of it that it is, for me to simply leave it without comment when it is raised. Accepting that view makes Christianity out to be some dualistic and superstitious religion with an extremely naive theology - which is anything but the truth (whether you happen to agree with it or not, is a different matter).

James

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
NoahideHiker said:
OK, question: How can an angelic being created by G-d with no free will rebel against his Creator? How can Satan be evil when he has no choice in the matter?

IMHO: Satan is a good angel with a tough job. He is G-d's district prosecutor and nothing more.

From an Islamic perspective, Satan is not an angelic being, he is a demon a Jinn created from fire unlike the Angels who are created from light. Due to his high degree of worship, before the creation of Adam, he was elevated to higher position to that of angels but in reality he is still a jinn.
I consider Satan as my enemy and the enemy of all Human beings. He disobeyed God and his arrogance and envy made him so diobediant to the extent he hasn't asked forgivenss from God and has prefered to choose being our enemy till the day of judgment.
The verses about Shaytan (satan) in the Quran are very clear and detailed, and brother TT has already did a great job in stating those verses.

Peace

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
JamesThePersian said:
The only people I have heard argue that angels have no free will are Muslims.

NoahideHiker said:
But there is biblical evidence of Satan not having free will in the story of Job. Is there any free will evidence in the bible?

Satan is a jinni and not an Angel and thus has a free will that's why he did what he did. Both human beings and Jinns have have free will that's why they are put to test.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Peace said:
Satan is a jinn and not an Angel and thus has a free will that's why he did what he did. Both human beings and Jinns have have free will that's why they are put to test.

In Islam. In Christianity, demons are fallen angels and there is no such thing as a jinn. In Judaism Satan remains an angel but works for God. I have no idea whether modern Judaism even has a concept of demons. In both Judaism and Christianity, then, Satan is an angel. In Islam he is not. In both Judaism and Islam, it appears, angels have no free will. In Christianity, they do (the idea of God creating any rational being without free will makes no sense to us). In both Christianity and Islam, though his nature differs, Satan has free will. In Judaism, apparently, he does not. Good luck trying to prove which view is right. Both Jews and Christians can point to pre-Christian sources that corroborate their view, though (in our case it's Enoch, which is referred to in the New Testament). I know of no Jewish or Christian sources that refer to jinns.

James

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
JamesThePersian said:
In Islam. In Christianity, demons are fallen angels and there is no such thing as a jinn.

Interesting James, I didn't know that you consider demons as fallen angels. Thanks for the information :)

Peace

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Peace said:
From an Islamic perspective, Satan is not an angelic being, he is a demon a Jinn created from fire unlike the Angels who are created from light. Due to his high degree of worship, before the creation of Adam, he was elevated to higher position to that of angels but in reality he is still a jinn.
I consider Satan as my enemy and the enemy of all Human beings. He disobeyed God and his arrogance and envy made him so diobediant to the extent he hasn't asked forgivenss from God and has prefered to choose being our enemy till the day of judgment.
The verses about Shaytan (satan) in the Quran are very clear and detailed, and brother TT has already did a great job in stating those verses.

Peace
In the Sufi tradition, Satan disobeyed God, not because of arrogance but because of love for God. When God created Adam, He told all the angels and djinn to bow in reverence to His new creation. And everyone bowed except Iblis/Satan. He refused, saying that he would bow to no one except God.

And thus, God loved Satan for his disobedience, even as he punished him. But in the end, even Satan will be reconciled with God. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
lilithu said:
In the Sufi tradition, Satan disobeyed God, not because of arrogance but because of love for God. When God created Adam, He told all the angels and djinn to bow in reverence to His new creation. And everyone bowed except Iblis/Satan. He refused, saying that he would bow to no one except God.

And thus, God loved Satan for his disobedience, even as he punished him. But in the end, even Satan will be reconciled with God. :)

I actually like that!:)

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
lilithu said:

Dear lilithu, that's from a Sufi point of view, but it is not the case in Islam which is based on the Quran and the Sunnah.

Peace

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Peace said:

Couple of question for clarification. Are jinn inherently evil? And if so why where they created from fire instead of darkness? It just seems that where there is fire there is also light and if angels are created from light then jinn would also have within them light, at least to the degree that fire contains light...So do jinn have some good in them since coming from fire they would seem to have some light? And I am not trying to be confrontational or anything I'm just curious as to how this works.

PeAcE

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Runlikethewind said:
Couple of question for clarification. Are jinn inherently evil? And if so why where they created from fire instead of darkness? It just seems that where there is fire there is also light and if angels are created from light then jinn would also have within them light, at least to the degree that fire contains light...So do jinn have some good in them since coming from fire they would seem to have some light? And I am not trying to be confrontational or anything I'm just curious as to how this works.

PeAcE

Jinns are like human beings, there is good in them as well as evil. There are some who are so good and obediant to God and there are those who are disobediant so evil and who hurt others. They are also like us, they have free will and they are put to test.

Peace

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
lilithu said:

I would like just to add something here is that there are Sufis whose opinions are that of the Quran and of the Sunnah and who so pious but there are some Sufis whose opinions I find strange and I can't agree with.

Peace

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Peace said:
Jinns are like human beings, there is good in them as well as evil. There are some who are so good and obediant to God and there are those who are disobediant so evil and who hurt others. They are also like us, they have free will and they are put to test.

Peace

Thanks for the info!

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Peace said:
Dear lilithu, that's from a Sufi point of view, but it is not the case in Islam which is based on the Quran and the Sunnah.

Peace
Aww, i really liked that story.
Don't you think it kinda makes sense, that Iblis took the commandment to worship God alone so seriously that he would not bow to man?

Perhaps he thought it was a test? Angels had no choice in the matter, but as a Jinn he could have thought he was doing the right thing, when given two contradictory commands by God he chose the one he thought best, maybe. I'm just thinking "aloud". :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Peace said:
I would like just to add something here is that there are Sufis whose opinions are that of the Quran and of the Sunnah and who so pious but there are some Sufis whose opinions I find strange and I can't agree with.

Peace
I'm sure that's the case. But it is my understanding that the story of Satan/Iblis as I relayed it is "orthodox" Sufi belief (if there can be such a thing as "orthodox" within Sufism). I've heard it from several sources. Sufis do not ignore the Qur'an and the Sunnah, but their interpretation of scripture is always through the lens of love.

btw, if anyone wants to buy me a very expensive gift, I don't want diamonds or pearls. I want this. ;)

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Halcyon said:
Don't you think it kinda makes sense, that Iblis took the commandment to worship God alone so seriously that he would not bow to man?

It doesn't make sense to me at all. If he were really a sincere obediant servant and worshipper of God he would have submitted to God and obeyed Him when He told him to bow to Adam.

Halcyon said:
Perhaps he thought it was a test? Angels had no choice in the matter, but as a Jinn he could have thought he was doing the right thing, when given two contradictory commands by God he chose the one he thought best, maybe. I'm just thinking "aloud". :D

God can never give two contradictory commands, and let's assume there were two contradictory commands, he must obey his Creator and his Lord.

Peace

Sahar

Halcyon said:
You can like what you want, but it has nothing to do with the truth..i can create good stories too which u may like!!!!

Halcyon said:
when given two contradictory commands by God he chose the one he thought best
2 contradictory commands by God???! you are not seriuos, are you??!!!
It seems for me that Iblis is the God as the real God is not wise moreover He gives "2 contradictory commands" and Iblis is full of wisedom so he chose the best of those "2 contradictory commands" maybe to fix a mistake made by "God"!!! (hasha lillah) (God forbid)!
So Iblis is wiser than Allah so he chose to disobey God b/c God didn't know that this contradicts "worship God alone" command!! (hasha lillah)
Aah! there r some weird things that you may read on the forum! Subhan Allah!
Anyway this is what the Quran says:
"It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Iblis; He refused to be of those who bow down."

"((Allah)) said: "What prevented thee from bowing down when I commanded thee?" He said: "I am better than he: Thou didst create me from fire, and him from clay." Holy Quran

This bow is not a bow of worship but it was for honoring this new being created by Allah (Allah's creature) and Iblis himself knew this!!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
not4me said:
So Iblis is wiser than Allah so he chose to disobey God b/c God didn't know that this contradicts "worship God alone" command!! (hasha lillah)
Aah! there r some weird things that you may read on the forum! Subhan Allah!
Where do you get this from? That's not what Halcyon said. And that's not what the story means to me.

There have been many times in my life when I have had to choose between what seemed to be contradictory commands. For example, speaking of bowing, the bible says "Thou shalt have no other gods before me (God)." And it also says "Honor thy father and thy mother." When I was seven my grandfather died, and at the funeral my parents told me to bow in front of my grandfather's coffin. (Not just bow from the waist but get on one's knees and touch the ground with one's head.) The Chinese practice ancestral worship. For you guys the choice may have been obvious but this was a real dillema for me at that time and I still regret the choice I made. The only thing that I can say is that I did what I thought was right at the time.

There have also been many times in my life when I've seen someone do something that I knew deserved punishment, if law and order is to be preserved, but I also knew was right in another sense. For example, the soldier on trial right now for refusing to deploy to Iraq. He's a soldier. He made a promise to serve. It's not his place to question the commands of his officers. But he feels this war is wrong. And I admire his courage to live by his convictions, even tho I think he has to pay some consequences for breaking the law.

God may know the right action for every situation. But I don't. I often see conflicting choices despite my efforts to do what is right. To me, this is the human condition. And to me the Sufi version of the Satan story best captures the tension of existence. Perhaps Satan made a mistake. Perhaps he's too prideful now to admit that he made a mistake. Perhaps God know's Satan's heart and is patiently waiting for Satan to mature enough to get over his pride, and the second coming of Jesus and final judgement, etc. of hinges on this one event. The point of this thread is to have compassion for those who make mistakes, is it not?

not4me said:
Anyway this is what the Quran says:
"It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels bow down to Adam, and they bowed down; not so Iblis; He refused to be of those who bow down."

"((Allah)) said: "What prevented thee from bowing down when I commanded thee?" He said: "I am better than he: Thou didst create me from fire, and him from clay." Holy Quran
Yes, I know what the Qur'an says about this. Interestingly, the Qur'an, like the bible and other scriptures, does not state the motivations of the characters, only what they do and say. We interpret the motivations. And the Sufi interpretation of Satan's motivations does not violate what's written here.

At any rate, whatever his motivations, Satan's refusal to bow to Adam is certainly a more interesting scenario than the idea of Satan being an angel who then decides that he can overthrow God.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
not4me said:
You can like what you want, but it has nothing to do with the truth..i can create good stories too which u may like!!!!
:sorry1: I didn't mean to offend.

not4me said:
2 contradictory commands by God???! you are not seriuos, are you??!!!
God commands to worship no idols, then commands a Jinn to worship an idol (in the form of man).
But like i said, i didn't mean to offend, if you don't see a contradiction i respect that.