• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I hate to do this, but...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, now that Afghanistan is nearing food insecurity for millions, the Taliban has announced their solution to the nation's problems:

All women are now going to be required (again) to be covered from head-to-toe out of doors.

It's easy to see how this will feed millions, isn't it?

Religious thinking at it's most noble and admirable.

MikeF

Premium Member
Well, now that Afghanistan is nearing food insecurity for millions, the Taliban has announced their solution to the nation's problems:

All women are now going to be required (again) to be covered from head-to-toe out of doors.

Did the Taliban government state that requiring head and face covering was ordered to solve the food insecurity problems, or did that institute it for some other reason?

Afghanistan had no problems with food before the invasion.

Why do they have that problem now?

(A Time magazine publication in 2003 or close after, has a man of Afghanistan with face of protest in the cover. His teeth are aligned properly and show that the guy has a very good health.

An American mother in the next publication asked in the comments section, who was the dentist of that man? Because she said she spent lots of money on her daughter's teeth and never appeared so great as the teeth of that man.)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Did the Taliban government state that requiring head and face covering was ordered to solve the food insecurity problems, or did that institute it for some other reason?
Is that important to you? Will it feed anybody? Does it speak to their wisdom in governance? To their humanity?

In other words, what's the purpose of government -- to you -- that you would even think to ask that?

MikeF

Premium Member
Is that important to you? Will it feed anybody? Does it speak to their wisdom in governance? To their humanity?

In other words, what's the purpose of government -- to you -- that you would even think to ask that?

You seemed to imply they passed covering law specifically to solve hunger. I think that is disingenuous. I don't agree with covering laws and have no idea as to the cause of current food insecurity of Afghanistan. Governments do multiple things on multiple fronts.
I see these as separate issues, separate problems.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You seemed to imply they passed covering law specifically to solve hunger. I think that is disingenuous. I don't agree with covering laws and have no idea as to the cause of current food insecurity of Afghanistan. Governments do multiple things on multiple fronts.
I see these as separate issues, separate problems.
No! I was trying to demonstrate the old maxim: "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

The Taliban are stupid men. Filled with dogmatic beliefs that have nothing to do with the reality in which they find themselves, but that they will use (for 100% religious reasons) to try and make their world into what they suppose their deity would want. That WILL result in deaths -- many of them. That is NOT SUPPORTED by anything scriptural (anybody's scriptures).

It is 100% religious ignorance, doing what religious ignorance has always done -- kill innocent people.

Disagree? Make your case!

Suave

Simulated character

I had prognosticated a prolonged military standoff between Russia and Ukraine would have exacerbated global .food shortages, because Ukraine had been a significant exporter of corn and wheat until their farmers took up arms to fight Russia's military campaign of establishing the sovereign states of the People's Republic of Donetsk and Luhansk along with securing a land bridge linking the Russian mainland to Russian Crimea, Now that Russia has conquered Mariupol and controls the Sea of Azov coast establishing a land corridor linking the Russian mainland to Russian Crimea as well as Russian military forces being on the verge of expelling Ukranian military forces from the People's Republic of Donetsk and Luhansk. we should expect Russia and Ukraine will soon reach a peace settlement whereby Russia secures a land bridge from the Russian mainland to Russian Crimea as well as successfully establishing the sovereign states of the People's Republic of Donetsk and Luhansk, then Ukrainian farmers can resume their agriculture production. This resolution of the Russia-Ukraine conflict should free up an abundant supply of food for export to feed developing nations like the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.

MikeF

Premium Member
No! I was trying to demonstrate the old maxim: "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

The Taliban are stupid men. Filled with dogmatic beliefs that have nothing to do with the reality in which they find themselves, but that they will use (for 100% religious reasons) to try and make their world into what they suppose their deity would want. That WILL result in deaths -- many of them. That is NOT SUPPORTED by anything scriptural (anybody's scriptures).

It is 100% religious ignorance, doing what religious ignorance has always done -- kill innocent people.

Ouch. Some all caps and exclamation points.

So covering laws will cause many deaths?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Perhaps oppressive clothing regulation
is independent of food problems?

Nimos

Doesn't really surprise me. Didn't everyone expect things to return to how it were and that it was just a matter of time.

I have gotten to the conclusion that the western culture is not to interfere in the Arabic / Islamic one anymore. These countries have to figure things out on their own and if the population is unhappy about how things are done in their countries, they have to solve it internally once they feel ready for it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
An American mother in the next publication asked in the comments section, who was the dentist of that man? Because she said she spent lots of money on her daughter's teeth and never appeared so great as the teeth of that man.)
For her problem, the answer is too much sugar, chocolate.

No problem if Afghans would like to live in 7th Century. Let them be.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, if we are to be intellectually honest. It depends if you know this for all of the text or if some of it is your emotions in the end.

Altfish

Veteran Member

It is very sad, the US, the UK and Afghanistan are racing to see which country can go backwards fastest

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well, now that over 40% of the USA population are obese (133+ million), state legislatures are announcing their solution to the nation's problems (given that heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer are all obesity-related conditions):

Some have passed laws which effectively ban abortion, whilst others have taken steps to severely restrict abortion access.

It's easy to see how this will reduce calorie consumption for millions, isn't it?

Atheistic thinking at its most noble and admirable.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

That's a bit disingenuous, surely? You know quite well that governments do not simply address one issue at a time. It's a bit as if I were to express shock and disgust that the UK government is preparing domestic legislation when there is a war on in Ukraine.