• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got sick of being a christian

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Who blames a god? in my case i blame the teaching of the bible to gullible people, .................
I do wonder if it is so much the teaching of the Bible, but about what Luke wrote and Peter wrote - Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30; 2 Peter 2:1-3
They both wrote informing us that ' fake weed/tares ' Christians would be teaching and misleading the flock of God.
When unfaithful Jews mixed with the Greeks, then Greek philosophy was also then influencing the Christian congregation because of false teachers.
We can see such philosophical teachings simply contradict Jesus' message - 1 John 2:18.
So, even today we are to be on guard, be alert!, from being mislead by human philosophies.
So, Not the teachings of the Bible but the teachings of false shepherds about the Bible.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I find there is a BIG difference between killing, murder and: an execution for the sake of the righteous ones.
If God had Not executed the people of Noah's day, their violence would have reached the point of killing /murdering Noah and family.- Genesis 6:11
People who raped were to be executed.
There were No debtor's prisons in ancient Israel so a person could be considered as a slave for up to six years to pay off debt.
The Jubilee years also set matters straight.
Israel was Not in the 'slave-trade business' as the southern Untied States.
Slaves were to be treated as 'hired help' - Leviticus 25:39-40
Children were Not to be sacrificed as ' food offerings ' for pagan gods - Jeremiah 32:34-35; 2 Chronicles 28:3; Ezekiel 23:37
The unborn were considered as being equal to a full-grown adult. Abortion is Not birth control in Scripture. - Exodus chapter 21
Who would want to worship a God who ' saves '( delivers/ rescues) righteous people___________
Jesus made the choice to worship his God. For one choice, the word 'Father' means Life Giver, Not life taker.
The nine resurrections recorded in the Bible shows the return to life comes from God through Jesus.
What resurrections Jesus performed were a small sample, a preview or coming attraction of what Jesus will do on a GRAND-international scale.
This is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come!
Come and undo all the damage willful sinners Satan and Adam brought upon us.

You are welcome to your opinion and apologetics. Personally i find it objectionable and revolting that peope can worship a genocide

ChristineM

Premium Member
I do wonder if it is so much the teaching of the Bible, but about what Luke wrote and Peter wrote - Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30; 2 Peter 2:1-3
They both wrote informing us that ' fake weed/tares ' Christians would be teaching and misleading the flock of God.
When unfaithful Jews mixed with the Greeks, then Greek philosophy was also then influencing the Christian congregation because of false teachers.
We can see such philosophical teachings simply contradict Jesus' message - 1 John 2:18.
So, even today we are to be on guard, be alert!, from being mislead by human philosophies.
So, Not the teachings of the Bible but the teachings of false shepherds about the Bible.

Have you read the bible? I mean really read it? The NT is not so bad although it does teach a little anarchy. The OT is no doubt one of the most misogynistic, inhuman and violent books ever written

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Have you read the bible? I mean really read it? The NT is not so bad although it does teach a little anarchy. The OT is no doubt one of the most misogynistic, inhuman and violent books ever written

I wonder what people find inhuman and violent about Leviticus 19th chapter ____________________

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I really don't even see the NT as that good. Paul would have been an aweful human being if he would have been as portrayed in the Bible, and Jesus didn't really say or do anything significant, and certainly nothing really original, groundbreaking, and the studies of morality and ethics would largely be the same. He seemed a run of the mill shaman who was killed for poking a hornets nest.
At least Socrates apparently really meant it when he claimed ignorance and questioned everything about anything and everything. Gautama Buddha gave insights into questions of life and balance. But treating people decently is so basic and near universal that it's even a featured principle in the Art of War. The Jains were doing no harm and being ascretic centuries before Christ. Even charity was mentioned in the Tanakh long before Jesus.
Hitler had some good ideas as well. But we most certainly do not cut out the mostly bad to spare the bit of good that can found elsewhere and without and the crap that necessarily must be cut.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I wonder what people find inhuman and violent about Leviticus 19th chapter ____________________

Or all the verses that men and women were slaughtered except virgin's who were kept (as what?, and how did rhey know who was a virgin?)

ChristineM

Premium Member
I really don't even see the NT as that good. Paul would have been an aweful human being if he would have been as portrayed in the Bible, and Jesus didn't really say or do anything significant, and certainly nothing really original, groundbreaking, and the studies of morality and ethics would largely be the same. He seemed a run of the mill shaman who was killed for poking a hornets nest.
At least Socrates apparently really meant it when he claimed ignorance and questioned everything about anything and everything. Gautama Buddha gave insights into questions of life and balance. But treating people decently is so basic and near universal that it's even a featured principle in the Art of War. The Jains were doing no harm and being ascretic centuries before Christ. Even charity was mentioned in the Tanakh long before Jesus.
Hitler had some good ideas as well. But we most certainly do not cut out the mostly bad to spare the bit of good that can found elsewhere and without and the crap that necessarily must be cut.

I am in full agreement but don't get me wrong, i meant "not so bad" in comparison to the OT in which genocide, murder, rape, theft, slavery, subjugation etc are common.

pearl

Still they said i must read from the bible and began to ridicule my inability. Over a few years the ridicule turned to open mockery.

Did you experience this ridicule only in church, how about school? I only ask this remembering the experience our youngest daughter had in early grades. She had a stuttering problem and everyone had to read orally. Her 2nd grade teacher, being understanding, offered her the choice of a private reading with the teacher, she opted to stick it out, despite the ridicule. Thankfully her speech hesitancy disappeared before high school.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Did you experience this ridicule only in church, how about school? I only ask this remembering the experience our youngest daughter had in early grades. She had a stuttering problem and everyone had to read orally. Her 2nd grade teacher, being understanding, offered her the choice of a private reading with the teacher, she opted to stick it out, despite the ridicule. Thankfully her speech hesitancy disappeared before high school.

Not so much ridicule, i was considered thick and unteachable, essentially told to sit at the back of the class so as not to disturb the cleverer children.

My classmates were fine, mostly they thought it was cool that i managed to avoid tough lessons. I did get some taunting from the kids i tried to avoid.

My biggest problem at school (despite learning nothing 10 years) was my height, i used to get a lot of ribbing over that.

So glad your daughter overcame her stutter. Children can be really horrible to such difference.

pearl

My biggest problem at school (despite learning nothing 10 years) was my height, i used to get a lot of ribbing over that.

Unless I missed it, what does your height have to do with it?
Our daughter experienced much the same as she was almost 6'. but instead of the ridicule making her self conscious, when in high school she wore high heels!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Our daughter experienced much the same as she was almost 6'. but instead of the ridicule making her self conscious, when in high school she wore high heels!
Not exactly the same, but the above reminds me of a woman I dated just once when in college who was both very smart [definitely more than I, although that may not be saying much:emojconfused:] and also was a model. But she acted and talked like a little girl when out socially, probably because very smart beautiful women often intimidate men.

BTW, she was informally engaged to marry another man, so we couldn't have our date on campus because so many knew her and her fiance [he was the starting quarterback on our football team], thus waiting until we got back home near Detroit.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The service I like the most is the Quakers (Society of Friends). (My private school was run by Quakers, so I have attended -- including at the very beautiful Sharon Temple, which was only a few miles from my school. Essentially, the community gathers, pretty much nothing happens, somebody may decide they have something of interest to say, but usually not, then everybody shakes hands and leaves.

The nice thing about that is that you can do it at home...
Wild! Some of my Quaker ancestors were part of the community that built Sharon Temple.

pearl

Not exactly the same, but the above reminds me of a woman I dated just once when in college who was both very smart [definitely more than I, although that may not be saying much:emojconfused:] and also was a model. But she acted and talked like a little girl when out socially, probably because very smart beautiful women often intimidate men.

Its familiar except that our daughter never attempted to act otherwise, being very confident with who she is. She took advanced placement courses in HS and went on to college. I have to admit there was something very amusing watching this 6' blonde bowing and speaking Japanese!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was born into a mildly christian (CofE) family. Began sunday school as soon as i was able, unfortunately my inability to read was the brunt of many jokes. But i stuck it out, made some god friends and generally enjoyed learning about Jesus and before.

Age 11, i was formally allowed to attend church. I was so proud to be there with the adults, enthralled by the vicars sermon.

Each Sunday one of the youngsters would be chosen to learn a passage from the bible that they had to read out from the pulpit the following Sunday.

Being dyslexic and a bashful adolescent didn't prevent me being chosen. First i tried, asking my mother to read and reread the passage until i knew it by heart. But the exposure of pulpit made the words fly away leaving be mumbling and lost.

Still they said i must read from the bible and began to ridicule my inability. Over a few years the ridicule turned to open mockery.

Until eventually i got sick of it, walked out of church and never returned for a service since.

And hence began my path to atheism.

Does anyone else have a story of how church has impacted and chsnged their lives, either positively or negatively?
I grew up mostly apathetic to religion.

My grandmother went to her (Baptist) church every Sunday, but my grandmother was also the only person I knew who wore a fur coat, played the autoharp, etc., so as a little kid, the fact that she was doing something wasn't a signal to me that I should do it, too.

I had a "Bible Stories for Children" book, but I was also into Greek mythology, so I saw the Bible stories in the same light (though the Bible stories generally much more boring and often confusing).

I remember being in grade 7 and encountering other kids my age who were Christians and sincerely believed; I was genuinely surprised. It hadn't occurred to me that someone my age would do that.

To me, religion was something that people used to do, except for "old people" holdovers like my grandmother or - according to movie tropes at the time - backward small towns in the US that try to outlaw dancing.

A year or two later - right around grade 9, I think - I started to see how wrong my assumption about religion being a thing of the past was. The family two doors down from them turned their house into a pilgrimage site, effectively.

The family claimed that the large painting of the Virgin Mary in their living room would "miraculously" sweat. They also claimed that the painting would speak to their youngest daughter. Apparently, the "Miracle House" became a big thing in the Catholic Filipino community in Toronto. They started getting visitors... lots of them.

Every weekend, our little street would be filled with cars parked while people visited the "Miracle House." A few times, we would have to wait to get home while they unloaded people with walkers and wheelchairs from a tour bus that was blocking our street. This was still going on a few years later when I left for university.

Then, a couple of things happened within a couple of years:

- my grandmother passed away of cancer. A few days before she died, she had people come in to visit her one at a time to tell them her final wishes and advice. For me, she told me how much her religious upbringing had meant to her, and asked me to seriously consider giving any kids I might have a religious upbringing.

- I met - and then married - a Catholic woman. She started getting more and more distressed at the idea of her unbaptized heathen husband ending up in Hell.

... so for those two reasons, I started looking into religion, especially the Catholic Church, to see if it was something I could accept for myself or for my (future) children.

That's actually what brought me to RF: I had lots of questions that my wife (now ex-wife) either couldn't or wouldn't answer that were deal-breakers for me, so I came here - and to a couple of Catholic-specific forums - to try and find answers.

In the end, I found that the more I researched and reflected, and the more I attended church and read the Bible, the further I got from ever accepting Christianity as true.

I looked a bit into the Quakers and the UUs as well, but it became obvious that neither of those options were going to satisfy my wife and they didn't draw me to them enough to keep up with them despite this.

I eventually recognized that I wasn't going to ever become any sort of Christian, which allowed me to have - IMO - a healthier attitude toward it. When my mindset was all about the question "why can't I accept this for myself?" I was very focused on the problems and issues in the religion. Now that I've stepped back from that, it's easier for me to see the positives in it.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Nothing to do with dyslexia but my height (i was tallest by several inches) was what i got ribbed for most at school

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Its familiar except that our daughter never attempted to act otherwise, being very confident with who she is. She took advanced placement courses in HS and went on to college. I have to admit there was something very amusing watching this 6' blonde bowing and speaking Japanese!
I had a teacher back in junior high school who went to and loved Japan, and he went to a communal bath there. I'm not sure of his height but I know he was very tall, well over 6'. He said that he did get a lot of quick stares at the bath.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What began my path to atheism was not really church. But learning to read, i read the bible and found all the hatred infesting the congregation in there. What a learning tool is the bible when one chooses to assymilate the bad
When I was trying to become Catholic, the hatred I saw was probably a bigger obstacle than any of the questions I had about factual matters like the truth or falsehood of the Bible or even the existence or non-existence of God.

I got married (the first time) in 2004. As it happens, this was right before the same-sex marriage debate really came to a head in Canada before it was finally legalized in 2005.

This meant I was attending a Catholic church as they really ramped up their anti-same-sex marriage campaign.

The "open letter" that the local archbishop published in the paper was bad enough, but I got to see live the rhetoric that was being pushed in the churches themselves.

They sent a special priest to all the various churches in the diocese to do a homily to "rally the troops" against same-sex marriage legalization. That homily was so hateful and so demonizing of gay people that I stopped kneeling in church. I refused to kneel before an altar that was used to preach hate.

In retrospect, I probably should have just walked out and never gone back right then.

ChristineM

Premium Member
When I was trying to become Catholic, the hatred I saw was probably a bigger obstacle than any of the questions I had about factual matters like the truth or falsehood of the Bible or even the existence or non-existence of God.

I got married (the first time) in 2004. As it happens, this was right before the same-sex marriage debate really came to a head in Canada before it was finally legalized in 2005.

This meant I was attending a Catholic church as they really ramped up their anti-same-sex marriage campaign.

The "open letter" that the local archbishop published in the paper was bad enough, but I got to see live the rhetoric that was being pushed in the churches themselves.

They sent a special priest to all the various churches in the diocese to do a homily to "rally the troops" against same-sex marriage legalization. That homily was so hateful and so demonizing of gay people that I stopped kneeling in church. I refused to kneel before an altar that was used to preach hate.

In retrospect, I probably should have just walked out and never gone back right then.

Hatred of difference seems to be a big thing in christianity. Although very few christians would ever admit to it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The internet has plenty about tall girls. They're often dispaged, ridiculed, with beliefs she can't ever be in a lasting relationship (sort of like the stereotypes of women with "daddy issues" who are also not supposed to be in healthy or loving relationships because of societal bull).