• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got sick of being a christian

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hatred of difference seems to be a big thing in christianity. Although very few christians would ever admit to it.
Hatred of it, reluctance and refusal to learn about it, and an eagerness and willingness to carry on false witness about it.

atanu

Premium Member
I was born into a mildly christian (CofE) family. Began sunday school as soon as i was able, unfortunately my inability to read was the brunt of many jokes. But i stuck it out, made some god friends and generally enjoyed learning about Jesus and before.

Age 11, i was formally allowed to attend church. I was so proud to be there with the adults, enthralled by the vicars sermon.

Each Sunday one of the youngsters would be chosen to learn a passage from the bible that they had to read out from the pulpit the following Sunday.

Being dyslexic and a bashful adolescent didn't prevent me being chosen. First i tried, asking my mother to read and reread the passage until i knew it by heart. But the exposure of pulpit made the words fly away leaving be mumbling and lost.

Still they said i must read from the bible and began to ridicule my inability. Over a few years the ridicule turned to open mockery.

Until eventually i got sick of it, walked out of church and never returned for a service since.

And hence began my path to atheism.

Does anyone else have a story of how church has impacted and chsnged their lives, either positively or negatively?

Seeing the effect of so-called right wing Hindutva in India, I often want to give up Hinduism and declare myself a secular atheist, which I was prior to 2000.

But then I do not confuse the teachings of Vedanta with follies of human ego.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Seeing the effect of so-called right wing Hindutva in India, I often want to give up Hinduism and declare myself a secular atheist, which I was prior to 2000.

But then I do not confuse the teachings of Vedanta with follies of human ego.

I cannot speak for Hinduism but as i have stated, the bible can and is used to teach hatred. Sure the student need to accept that teaching, and many do. It is apparent even here on RF to a small extent.