• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Gave My First Sermon Yesterday!

J Bryson

At Throop Memorial Church (UU) in Pasadena, I gave my first lay sermon. One of the fun things about UU Churches is that our ministers get a break over the summer, allowing the laity to take over the pulpit for a few weeks to a few months. My minister was actually there, and gave me some excellent feedback afterwards.

From what I've heard, my delivery was iffy due to my unfamiliarity with the mic setup, but the content of the sermon was good.

If anyone's interested, I uploaded it here: Faith Sermon

Trey of Diamonds

Spectacular! Congratulations my friend, I'm glad to hear that. Lay speakers is one of the things I love about the UU church.

J Bryson

Spectacular! Congratulations my friend, I'm glad to hear that. Lay speakers is one of the things I love about the UU church.

Same here. It mixes things up, and adds immeasurably to the sense of it being a participatory process. Also, you get to know your fellow parishioners in a whole new way.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I love your Sermon, great to read you share your experiences, your life, and weave your experiences with cultural pearls, in a relevant fashion.

J Bryson

Thank you so much! It was a subject near and dear to my heart. A few people in the pews thought that I was suffering from stagefright. Really, I was getting incredibly emotional about the subject, and shaking slightly as I refocused.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yes I can understand how intense that must have been. emotional and must have invoked great passions in you.
Kudos for this fascinating sermon.

DadBurnett

Instigator
At Throop Memorial Church (UU) in Pasadena, I gave my first lay sermon. One of the fun things about UU Churches is that our ministers get a break over the summer, allowing the laity to take over the pulpit for a few weeks to a few months. My minister was actually there, and gave me some excellent feedback afterwards.

From what I've heard, my delivery was iffy due to my unfamiliarity with the mic setup, but the content of the sermon was good.

If anyone's interested, I uploaded it here: Faith Sermon

Thanks for posting your talk ... I saw nothing in it that in anyway indicated that it was your first. Well done!

Inky

That's great, congratulations! The service at my UU church yesterday was also from a lay preacher, and I enjoyed it very much (not that our usual preacher isn't great too). Shaking things up is nice.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Very cool J Bryson!
And if I'm not mistaken, Throop is just a couple of blocks from one of my favorite hangouts in Pasadena- Vromans!

Alceste

Vagabond
Hi, J, great sermon. The passion behind it really comes through in a clear, lucid and comfortable rhetorical style. That's a tough balancing act - passion and clarity can often be at odds for most people. Well done.