• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I find myself in an interesting place

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Yeah. Even with The Dharma people can read more than one thing in a single passage. Whats nice is The Buddha taught in a way to where different views are okay. But, yeah, I meant what means to you. Id have to look it up in a bit. Probably run across some foreign words.

If it helps, I think Jains are trying to awaken to Ultimate Reality- like every Dharmic path I can think of right at this moment. Moksha is the end goal of Jainism and attaining Arhatship.

I have always understood Brahman as the common thread running through all the Dharmic religions. As I've said in other threads: Buddha-nature could be called Brahman.

David T

Premium Member
I've kind of been having a crisis in my Buddhism for the course of a month or so. I've been advised not to act fast on it, so I haven't.

I have taken time and thought about a lot of things. I still identify with Buddhism, I'd say about 80%, but I find more and more that it probably isn't where I want to remain.

I want to spread my wings more. Specifically, I want to explore Hindu philosophy with a little more freedom. In the Dharmic religions you don't learn by simple head knowledge. You've got to do some practice.

Bhedabheda Vedanta still continues to catch my interest. That being said, I'm not going to jump out of one pan into another because I'm more cautious and thoughtful than that.

Seeker is about where I'd say I am, with the qualifier of Dharmic. I still see myself within a Dharmic worldview broadly.

As stated- I find that 80% of Buddhism or so is actually what I am convinced of. However, there's some big doubts and problems I've been having.

Anatta has always been problematic for me. It hasn't helped that I struggle with depression, and when I do> I need self-affirmation. The Buddha himself gave permission to find what works for you. I find that I need an Atman concept the more I reflect on it, and that places me outside of Buddhism.

I know the Buddha would have understood the move I'm taking. I've taken a heads up from someone on this forum though, and for now the Buddha remains my guru. He will always be one of my teachers. His teachings have changed my life, and this has been a heart-rending ordeal.

Ever since I became a Buddhist give or take 10 years ago, I never had a crisis of my faith. I know it's alright. I was raised to be skeptical and some of that has appeared in my psyche as well. I find myself doubting.

I've been away for a few days pondering these things, as well as I am busy.

I would say I identify as Dharmic, spiritual, and seeking. In that order.

I was not sure where I should put these thoughts. I wanted to share them. This makes my chosen User Name quite interesting now.
I was just conversing with BDSM1 on the topic of Religious practices. I mentioned that I found the usage of the stringed wood drum with attached stick (image below) meaningful in chanting practices. He informed me that he had recordings of his Chanting practices with his wife. The device seems to be non denominational, ecumenical and very centering all at the same time. I do find that engaging it requires discipline daily practice, and deep meditative capacity. While I suppose that one can turn to gurus, to explain it, I have found free videos on you tube to get one inspired and started.
IMG_20180127_110519.jpg
For inspiration one can start with a single string device. Below is Guru Justin Johnson meditating in the Grand Canyon on a what is a sacred single string, wood body drum thingie with stick attached.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If it helps, I think Jains are trying to awaken to Ultimate Reality- like every Dharmic path I can think of right at this moment. Moksha is the end goal of Jainism and attaining Arhatship.

I have always understood Brahman as the common thread running through all the Dharmic religions. As I've said in other threads: Buddha-nature could be called Brahman.

I dont know. I dont want to put my foot in my mouth, but from the other thousand post thread with Bahai, I got a good impression Hinduism is an island all on its own. From a Buddha Dharmic perspective, Buddha-nature, is specific potiential that its possible to be enlightened. Meaning understanding suffering to wear one actually dies rather than reaching the State of Moska.

But Im a literalist in regards to the suttas. Sola-suttura (blame it on culture :p) I really dont know how to reply with Hindu and Buddhism. But, I agree that you look more into it. If I believed in god, Id probably be hindu because the nature of god isnt separate and something "I get" but culturally, Id be considered ignorant of that knowledge. Worh a shot.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
From a Buddha Dharmic perspective, Buddha-nature, is specific potiential that its possible to be enlightened.

That is one approach certainly. I've pointed out in other threads that in some Mahayana thought there are actual transcendental Buddhas, with their bodies directly generated from Nirvana.

What do you think of the Parinirvana Sutra?

Aldrnari

Funny because RF might be what helped bring on this crisis :p

That's okay though. Maybe I need to grow. I come on too strongly sometimes, and I need to stop it.

Everyone needs a crisis of religion from time to time- it's a natural process of growth. It's even better when it's brought about by conflicting points of view (such as what's in RF), as honest evaluation leads to a better understanding of yourself.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to pursue Hinduism in the ways that interest you, and to do it fully. If things don't work out the way you intend, it's OK. You will still walk away with a better understanding of the dharmic path, and more importantly, yourself. :)

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I pretty much plan to explore Hinduism and to some degree other religions without directly making a leap. The Buddha remains my spiritual guide as it were, but I don't see myself as a Buddhist in the organized sense at this point. I am fine identifying as Spiritual- I think...

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I've kind of been having a crisis in my Buddhism for the course of a month or so. I've been advised not to act fast on it, so I haven't.

I have taken time and thought about a lot of things. I still identify with Buddhism, I'd say about 80%, but I find more and more that it probably isn't where I want to remain.

I want to spread my wings more. Specifically, I want to explore Hindu philosophy with a little more freedom. In the Dharmic religions you don't learn by simple head knowledge. You've got to do some practice.

Bhedabheda Vedanta still continues to catch my interest. That being said, I'm not going to jump out of one pan into another because I'm more cautious and thoughtful than that.

Seeker is about where I'd say I am, with the qualifier of Dharmic. I still see myself within a Dharmic worldview broadly.

As stated- I find that 80% of Buddhism or so is actually what I am convinced of. However, there's some big doubts and problems I've been having.

Anatta has always been problematic for me. It hasn't helped that I struggle with depression, and when I do> I need self-affirmation. The Buddha himself gave permission to find what works for you. I find that I need an Atman concept the more I reflect on it, and that places me outside of Buddhism.

I know the Buddha would have understood the move I'm taking. I've taken a heads up from someone on this forum though, and for now the Buddha remains my guru. He will always be one of my teachers. His teachings have changed my life, and this has been a heart-rending ordeal.

Ever since I became a Buddhist give or take 10 years ago, I never had a crisis of my faith. I know it's alright. I was raised to be skeptical and some of that has appeared in my psyche as well. I find myself doubting.

I was not sure where I should put these thoughts. I wanted to share them. This makes my chosen User Name quite interesting now.

Its excellent that you feel comfortable sharing your personal thoughts and struggles. I explored Buddhism many years ago, and although I didn't become a Buddhist really enjoyed meeting members of the Tibetan Buddhist community. One of my closest friends is a Buddhist and my wife's family is from Japan so I have a connection with Buddhism through my in-laws. Some of the Buddhists I have met believe in a soul, an afterlife, and even a God or gods. I don't have a feel for the nuances of the Anatta concept, and would personally struggle with any belief that is atheistic or advocates the non-existence of a soul. I have heard Buddhists on RF insist that the Buddha taught there are no gods or God and that we have no soul. The beliefs and practices of most Japanese do not reflect atheism or the non existence of a soul. All the best with finding what works best for you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That is one approach certainly. I've pointed out in other threads that in some Mahayana thought there are actual transcendental Buddhas, with their bodies directly generated from Nirvana.

What do you think of the Parinirvana Sutra?

Its the last rebirth. First, you go through many rebirths, then you understand suffering and become enlightened. Mahayana, some like the Lotus Sutra, The Buddha stays and teaches The Dharma. When he was ready to enter the parinvana, he told his disciples to continue teaching The Dharma for when he enters his parinivada, he would no longer go through rebirth: he dies.

Thats as far I remember when it comes to terminology. What I got is that we go through rebirths. When we reach enlightement, we enter the State of nivanna. Then, after our last deed on earth, we go into paravinna: no longer a state of being. We die.

Very different than Hinduism where one joins with god after rebirths to be more close to god, for lack of better dharmic words. I actually find solace in the thought of being one with Brahman or within, but then the fact as I understand life is we die. I think The Buddha taught The Dharma so we can understand the nature of birth, age, sickness, and death. Not what I feel comfortable with. Just what is true. For me, though, Im getting more to feel the need to understand life instead of suffering. Its an illusion according to The Dharma but maybe thats fine as long as Im not attached to it.

Anyway, though. Thats how I understand paranivana. Id have to go back to reread it. I havent studied the suttas in a long while. Been more focused on art and healing.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I dont know. I dont want to put my foot in my mouth, but from the other thousand post thread with Bahai, I got a good impression Hinduism is an island all on its own. From a Buddha Dharmic perspective, Buddha-nature, is specific potiential that its possible to be enlightened. Meaning understanding suffering to wear one actually dies rather than reaching the State of Moska.

But Im a literalist in regards to the suttas. Sola-suttura (blame it on culture :p) I really dont know how to reply with Hindu and Buddhism. But, I agree that you look more into it. If I believed in god, Id probably be hindu because the nature of god isnt separate and something "I get" but culturally, Id be considered ignorant of that knowledge. Worh a shot.
Hinduism and Buddhism sort of bleeds together at the sides. As do most Dharmic religions. Hinduism is an amalgamation of various folk and tribal beliefs sort of blending together to create new things. Not really an island, but its practitioners perhaps are their own little island.
You don't really need to be a theist to be Hindu. In fact there are even hardline staunch atheist Hindus on this very forum. Nor is there a need to believe in the samsara to be Hindu, though that belief is very prominent. Sikhism is probably more theistic than Hinduism really. Though they often Criss cross with Hindus.
I dunno, I guess it comes down to personal labels more than anything else.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Very different than Hinduism where one joins with god after rebirths to be more close to god, for lack of better dharmic words.

Depends on the school, how this is seen. Some believe in merge, while others believe in remain forevever distinct.

Ponder This

I am curious to know more about the problem between Anatta and Atman.

My thought is this: we have self, but our selfs are are not who we really are.
There is no permanent, unchanging self. So I don't actually understand how this contradicts Atman because as I understand it, in Hinduism, Atman is "not the same as body or mind or consciousness". In other words, Atman is not self.

I don't know what you think about reincarnation, but my understanding is that the Buddha asserts that there is no self, but there is rebirth. Both Anatta and Atman. It could be that I am ignorant of how Buddhists and Hindus use these terms (I do not speak Sanskrit). So I'm struggling to understand how there is any contradiction between them... :confused:

I envisioned myself as pure actual consciousness.

:cool:

It just seems like I find this investigation too catching, so I need to do something about it.

Thank You for sharing with us. My impermanent self will be adding two new words to my vocabulary! :p

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I was just conversing with BDSM1 on the topic of Religious practices. I mentioned that I found the usage of the stringed wood drum with attached stick (image below) meaningful in chanting practices. He informed me that he had recordings of his Chanting practices with his wife. The device seems to be non denominational, ecumenical and very centering all at the same time. I do find that engaging it requires discipline daily practice, and deep meditative capacity. While I suppose that one can turn to gurus, to explain it, I have found free videos on you tube to get one inspired and started.View attachment 20847 For inspiration one can start with a single string device. Below is Guru Justin Johnson meditating in the Grand Canyon on a what is a sacred single string, wood body drum thingie with stick attached.

I see what you did there. I notice your stringed drum is of the Left Handed Way.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Let me know if you wish to discuss anything in Hinduism. Happy to help. :)

David T

Premium Member
I see what you did there. I notice your stringed drum is of the Left Handed Way.
Now you understand when I say around here "that's normal". If someone asks me "what's normal?" I say, "I am left handed", everyone goes "oh" and they seem to get that kind of!!!

As a lefty I say some people are transhanders..they can be conflicted, they are born externally right handed but inside really they are left handed and need To learn to accept that!

I have a very good friend who's conservative and I said that to him and he said "I don't want To be a tranny" I told him he needed to accept it! We had a good laugh at all of my nonsense but it does have some truth to it as well. Lefties are actually different. Sometimes nuts but different occasionally in good ways.

David T

Premium Member
Oh and btw the sacred stringed drum with stick thingie is a 2004 taylor solid top and solid sapelle back and sides built in san Diego. I know that Martin is a much older church and the believers definitely only recognize Martin as sacred, while the upstart protestant movement taylorites believe in taylor as sacred. I find the whole split silly really. I have a guitarology degree degree and I find both to be cool.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see myself as doing that really, but I suppose that could be perspective. I've always seen Hinduism and Jainism as pursuing the same Dharma ultimately as Buddhists do. That view hasn't changed.
It shouldn't as you are correct.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh. I see The Dharma as facts rather than beliefs. But Ive grown more close to my art and sense of creativity that focus on knowledge, as so The Buddha taught, isnt really strong enough to follow it as a devotion. Im pretty much set. I did my seekin' already, now Im enjoying learning something knew along the way.
You are new to Buddhism correct?
What @Buddha Dharma 's doubts are really about (I think, correct me if I am wrong) is on the question on the foundations of "Being-sense-awareness" and how it connects to the suffering-extinguishing or liberating "Root-existence awareness". Buddhism typically goes by the negative root, not saying much about foundations, and instead trying to cut through the processes and false clinging that cause suffering to arise. But he is thinking that more positive assertative formulation may be possible, and helpful to him in his path from suffering to unfettered existence.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
@sayak83 I do have a question for you actually. I know that in a Vedantic school like the one I'm wishing to study- one has a patron Deva usually that helps them perceive Brahman as Isvara. I guess I'd like a little more meat to that basic knowledge. I have a book coming on Caitanya, so I'm sure I'll get a better perspective soon enough on how one in Bhedabheda might approach the subject.

The question only occurs to me now because I was just thinking. I've always known that I'd want my patron Deva to be Brahma if I do go any further down this road of practice. He's the Trimurti aspect I feel strongly connected with, though I also do Shiva to a lesser degree. I know taking Brahma isn't unheard of, but is unusual.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
@sayak83 I do have a question for you actually. I know that in a Vedantic school like the one I'm wishing to study- one has a patron Deva usually that helps them perceive Brahman as Isvara. I guess I'd like a little more meat to that basic knowledge. I have a book coming on Caitanya, so I'm sure I'll get a better perspective soon enough on how one in Bhedabheda might approach the subject.

The question only occurs to me now because I was just thinking. I've always known that I'd want my patron Deva to be Brahma if I do go any further down this road of practice. He's the Trimurti aspect I feel strongly connected with, though I also do Shiva to a lesser degree. I know taking Brahma isn't unheard of, but is unusual.
Could you tell me what kind of practice suits you the best. Caitanya's path is through devotion, Puja and communal devotional songs. Other alternatives are yogic path of meditation, tantric path (similar to tantric Buddhism in some respects) and path of service (like volunteering, serving the poor etc.). Also we have the path of liberating knowledge via philosophy.

Brahma is primarily associated with the path of knowledge and to a lesser extent, yoga. But if it serves your purpose, you can coopt a Buddhist Brahma as your meditating deity.