• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel American culture is threatened more by Christian fundamentalists than Islamists!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The thread title mentions Christian fundamentalists. How many of those qualify? In how many of them were people killed or injured intentionally by Christian fundamentalists?
Also, the OP says that American Culture (not American lives or safety) are put at risk more by Christian Fundamentalists.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So why is Christian Fundamentalist so much worse? Because they hurt peoples "feelz" I guess?
No, it's because they didn't count indirect methods such as "regime change leading to failed states" or supporting Israel with billions in lethal hardware.
Tom

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I found this search result in less than 10 seconds.

List of Islamist terrorist attacks - Wikipedia

Thats a total of 21,000+ deaths and 52,000+ unjured and rising.

I spent the remainder 9 mins and 50 seconds to find deaths caused by Christians Fundamemtalist. I found absolutely nothing. No charts or death counts at all.

So why is Christian Fundamentalist so much worse? Because they hurt peoples "feelz" I guess?
The OP doesn't say that it is "worse". It says that it presents more of a risk to American culture. Since Sept. 11th, there have been 62 terrorist incidents of far-right violent extremism and 23 terrorist incidents of Islamic Extremism. So, in regards to the amount of terrorist activities in the U.S., far more come from the far-right.

All in all, I think the OP should have said "far-right" instead of Christian Fundamentalism.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I wanna see death counts and dismemberment numbers compared.
I wanna see stats that appear to care when evangelicals do those things instead of writing it off as "mentally ill".

Thats a total of 21,000+ deaths and 52,000+ unjured and rising.

I spent the remainder 9 mins and 50 seconds to find deaths caused by Christians Fundamemtalist. I found absolutely nothing. No charts or death counts at all.
You have to change the search parameters:

White people: mentally ill
Brown people: thug/criminal
Brown Muslims: terrorists
White Muslims: blood traitors

I just find it funny you think someone who doesnt want LGBT to get married is worse than someone who wants to kill LGBT is all.
Being too much of a coward to kill people doesn't make them any less evil. Jesus said you could commit adultery just from oggling. These people would be much happier (and they could pretend to be more secure in their OWN sexuality) if gays just weren't there.

Prove me wrong then. Show me evidence that Christians Fundamentalist threaten american culture more than Islamic Fundamentalist.
"God sayeth we can killeth all those native heathens who liveth in our rightful conquered homes."

You disagree with Trump because he banned trans folk from the army? Fine, provide me with a reasonable argument as to why the tax payers should pay for horomone therapy, sexual reassignment surgery, and cosmetic surgery.
Why should we be paying for "normal" people's medical care when we are just going to ship them off to be shot at anyway?

Capital punishment is not murder, nor needless killing, it is necessary.
Muslims getting oppressed and shot at because some Europeans or Americans would like to fill up their gas tanks aren't murdering either, just defending their property and lives. See how this works? Empathy can be such an inconvenience.

"The long term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to his Church's public marks of the covenant-baptism and holy communion-must be denied citizenship, just as they were in ancient Israel." - Gary North
And it's always hilarious that if these jerks went back in time to ancient Israel, they'd all be executed for not being the "right" group. The bible didn't care about gentiles until it had to. Them's the breaks. As a white woman I'd have to guilt trip Jesus into helping me. I know where I stand in the views of biblical authors.

David1967

Premium Member
I think they pose more of a threat here in the continental US. And, I think that is what the OP said. Not more of a threat globally.

But, all in all, they are both religiously affiliated terrorist groups that base their attacks on religious beliefs (at least that is how they describe themselves).

"Christian fundamentalists", are not to my knowledge, killing people in the name of their religion. Annoying? Yes. But yelling something like "Jesus is great!!" while blowing themselves up?, I'm not aware of such. Not to mention any violence done in Jesus name is entirely contrary to His teaching. And where do we draw the line as to who is considered a fundamentalist? Where I live its pretty easy as they proclaim the title like a badge of honor, such as 'Independent Fundamentalist Baptist'. Are such groups annoying? Absolutely. Am I in fear of them? No.

DavidFirth

If you follow the link, all of those questions are answered. But, keep in mind that the number of people killed/harmed is not an intelligent marker. The only fair comparison is attempted terrorist activity, as many terrorist attacks are unsuccessful.

And who was deciding whether these were actually terrorist attacks or not?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is a big part of the problem. People tend to use vague and selfserving meanings for the word terrorists to justify violence that they approve of and denounce what they don't.
Tom

leibowde84

Veteran Member
"Christian fundamentalists", are not to my knowledge, killing people in the name of their religion. Annoying? Yes. But yelling something like "Jesus is great!!" while blowing themselves up?, I'm not aware of such. Not to mention any violence done in Jesus name is entirely contrary to His teaching. And where do we draw the line as to who is considered a fundamentalist? Where I live its pretty easy as they proclaim the title like a badge of honor, such as 'Independent Fundamentalist Baptist'. Are such groups annoying? Absolutely. Am I in fear of them? No.
I agree. I don't think "Christian Fundamentalist" is the same as right-wing terrorism. Right wing terrorism seems to be more of a threat in the US.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
They go by the legal definition of what terrorism requires.

The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives" (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85).

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
They're bigots.

My ethical set (secular humanist) includes the Golden Rule, which I take seriously. It informs my opinions and actions, so naturally, I want the LGBTQ crowd to enjoy the same rights, opportunities, and social status as I have.

Religious bigots, most of whom I'm sure give lip service to the Golden Rule, don't seem to care about any of that.

I agree. But the bigots have the right to their own opinions. No matter how wrong they are. It is only when speech turns into physical violence is action needed.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Capital punishment is not necessary. It is a choice.

That's a poor argument for capital punishment. It's essentially the barbaric eye-for-an-eye.

If it served as a disincentive, then you'd have an argument for it.

If murderers that qualify for capital punishment frequently escaped or were paroled only to kill again, you'd have an argument.

Even if you argued that the taxpayer should not bear the financial burden of warehousing somebody that will never be a part of society or make a useful contribution again, you'd have a better argument than an eye for an eye.

Eye for an eye is not why capital punishment should be kept. Just because the murderer is in prison does not mean his can no longer commit crimes. Lifers having nothing left to lose continue their life of violence behind bars. Life sentences are cruel and harsh. Hard on the inmates and hard on the tax payers. Capital punishmemt is swift and merciful.

Enoch07

Premium Member
The OP doesn't say that it is "worse". It says that it presents more of a risk to American culture. Since Sept. 11th, there have been 62 terrorist incidents of far-right violent extremism and 23 terrorist incidents of Islamic Extremism. So, in regards to the amount of terrorist activities in the U.S., far more come from the far-right.

All in all, I think the OP should have said "far-right" instead of Christian Fundamentalism.

Show you source.

I don't care about your "feelz".