• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't FEEL damned.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
wmam said:
Is this it?

Psa 81:12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.

Yup, thats the one, thankyou.x
But im sure theres one in the New testament that says that too.

wmam

Stimpleton said:
Yup, thats the one, thankyou.x
But im sure theres one in the New testament that says that too.

Maybe....... being it upholds the first. It may be where it is one of many where it states "Haven't you not read in the law" or "It was written" or something along them lines. I will continue to look as now I am very curious.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Kungfuzed said:
I don't go to church. I don't believe in God. I keep most of the commandments, but mainly because of my own sense of right and wrong. I give theists a hard time. I don't study scriptures. I don't practice rituals. I've been told by several people that I'm going to hell. Yet I don't feel guilty. Shouldn't my soul be racked with shame and torment? Shouldn't God be making my life miserable? Shouldn't He be pricking my consience? Why don't I feel like a damned soul?

Because you're in denial. :D

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Victor said:
How are damned people supposed to feel?

Well, this kind of ties in with the warm fuzzies thread I started. I just wonder, since everything seems to have an equal and opposite in this universe; If you feel the Holy Spirit stronger the closer you are to God, then you should feel the exact opposite the farther you are from God. By this reasoning, Atheists should be the most miserable people on the earth. There was a time when I was unhappy and confuzed, but it was during the transition period. I still believed in God but hated the image of Him that I had built up in my mind (we each have our own image of who we think God is). I was very confuzed and like kung-fu movies (I bet you can guess where I got my username). Then one night while I was driving home from work I had a moment of clarity. I suddenly realized that the God I believed in couldn't possibly exist. Then I took it one step further and allowed myself to ask "Does any God exist at all?". That's right about the time I started searching for answers and found this forum. Since that moment of clarity I've learned a great deal and have a greater understanding of who I am. Instead of becomming miserable, Atheism (including the philosophys surrounding it such as naturalism and humanism) has led me to a higher degree of peace and understanding (and understanding of the world around me and also of myself). If feelings of peace, love, and a moment of clarity are the Holy Spirit, then God has led me into Atheism.

Random

Maybe you ARE damned and doomed, but you just don't give a crap. That'd work.

I believe that it's possible God has no power over anyone who rejects Him. So, imagine you die and wind up in God Great Interview Room in the celestial heavens. The conversation goes as follows:

God: Hi, Kungfuzed.
KF: Who the frig are YOU?
God: I'm God.
KF: Oh...you exist. Humph!
God: Yes. Now, you never really believed in me, did you?
KF: Nope.
God: Ah. Then I'm afraid I've got good news and bad news.
KF: Good news first. I'm still getting over you existing.
God: The good news is you're not the first and won't be the last Atheist I've had here.
KF: Atheists rock.
God: Quite. However, the bad news is...
KF: Hit me.
God: You're doomed to eternal damnation. You're gonna burn in hell forever and ever and ever and there's nothing I can do about it.
KF: Hmm...
God: What does that mean?
KF: What does what mean?
God: "Hmm...", that.
KF: It means...whatever, dude!
God: I'm sorry?!
KF: Burn in Hell forever? Bring IT ON! I'm mad for it! Do your worst, Godhead!
God: Um, er, I don't think you, uh, fully grasp the situation Kungfuzed...
KF: I do. Grasp it, that is. And y'know what I think? I think YOU SUCK and I don't care cos' you gave me freewill to live my life how I wanted now you're gonna punish me for doing just that. To which I say, SCREW YOU.
God: Oh...
KF: What does that mean?
God: I see.
KF: Yeah yeah, you see everything, yada yada, so-so...WHO CARES??
God: Well. In that case then...
KF: Where's the hole I drop into for Hell?
God: You're free to go, Kungfuzed.
KF: I--oh yeah, um...what?
God: You're free to go, anywhere you like. Back to Earth to a new body, or elsewhere in the Cosmos or outside of it. You're free.
KF: Er...is this a trick? Are you, like, Satan in disguise or something?
God: No trick. You have achieved all that I wanted for you. You have proven yourself in ways you may never even know yourself.
KF: I'm...free to go?
God: Yes.
KF: To...a place that isn't Hell even?
God: Indeed. In fact, I'd recommend you steer clear of Hell: it's unpleasant.
KF: Geez...well, okay, I'll go then...where's the door?
{GOD smiles}
God: In your mind, where its always been...

Having written this off the top of my head, I hope you see how it encapsulates my ideas of just how strange and incomprehensible a relationship with God can be.

Perhaps Atheism is as much a part of God's plan as the Flood or the sacrifice of His only begotten Son. I don't know.

Either way, Kungfuzed, keep being who you are and I believe you won't be damned to Hell or anywhere like it: it's all in the mind, you see. ;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Kungfuzed said:
Well, this kind of ties in with the warm fuzzies thread I started. I just wonder, since everything seems to have an equal and opposite in this universe; If you feel the Holy Spirit stronger the closer you are to God, then you should feel the exact opposite the farther you are from God. By this reasoning, Atheists should be the most miserable people on the earth. There was a time when I was unhappy and confuzed, but it was during the transition period. I still believed in God but hated the image of Him that I had built up in my mind (we each have our own image of who we think God is). I was very confuzed and like kung-fu movies (I bet you can guess where I got my username). Then one night while I was driving home from work I had a moment of clarity. I suddenly realized that the God I believed in couldn't possibly exist. Then I took it one step further and allowed myself to ask "Does any God exist at all?". That's right about the time I started searching for answers and found this forum. Since that moment of clarity I've learned a great deal and have a greater understanding of who I am. Instead of becomming miserable, Atheism (including the philosophys surrounding it such as naturalism and humanism) has led me to a higher degree of peace and understanding (and understanding of the world around me and also of myself). If feelings of peace, love, and a moment of clarity are the Holy Spirit, then God has led me into Atheism.

You can be happy with or without God. You can be sad with or without God. You can be confused with or without God. You can be mad with or without God. yada yada yada.....

I hope you see my point. :)

adilrockstar

Kungfuzed said:
I don't go to church. I don't believe in God. I keep most of the commandments, but mainly because of my own sense of right and wrong. I give theists a hard time. I don't study scriptures. I don't practice rituals. I've been told by several people that I'm going to hell. Yet I don't feel guilty. Shouldn't my soul be racked with shame and torment? Shouldn't God be making my life miserable? Shouldn't He be pricking my consience? Why don't I feel like a damned soul?

You don't know the joy that comes with salvation. Once you know, you will be able to tell the difference.

If you keep on the path you are on, I believe that your life will end up miserable, and your soul will be damned.

Remeber you asked, this is not an attack.)( I am only answering the question you asked.

God Bless

Adil

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
adilrockstar said:
You don't know the joy that comes with salvation. Once you know, you will be able to tell the difference.

If you keep on the path you are on, I believe that your life will end up miserable, and your soul will be damned.

Remeber you asked, this is not an attack.)( I am only answering the question you asked.

God Bless

Adil

No offence taken. )(
Do you believe my misery will happen in this life, or not until the afterlife? If it's in this life will the misery be inflicted by God or some other source? And what's taking Him so long? If I'm wrong I'd prefer to find out now than on my deathbed. My whole becomming an Atheist was the result of an honest search for the truth, so if there is a God tell Him to bring it on already.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Victor said:
You can be happy with or without God. You can be sad with or without God. You can be confused with or without God. You can be mad with or without God. yada yada yada.....

I hope you see my point. :)

So then, God is not the source of happiness, sadness, confusion, clarity, or anger? Is the Holy Spirit just a bonus emotion that happens on special occasions, and the lack thereof is just like normal everyday life?

SquareC

I think what Christians call "the Holy Spirit" in the wonderful feeling when God (however you do or don't believe in He/She/It) touches us in our lives. This can come not even from something religious like a prayer, but from a beautiful sunset, a nature hike....I find that in a manner of speaking, Nature is God. At least those parts of it humanity hasn't spoiled.... :(

Nature has it's cruelties as well as beauties. It's all part of the balance of our world. Since I don't believe in Hell, I have no fear of finding myself there. I know I will go on to another incarnation, hopefully to learn more and grow as a soul. But each person much find within him or her self what they believe. I respect that you do not believe in God. From what I've seen, you respect those of us who do, whatever fashion we do so. There is no reason why you should feel damned, any more than I do!

Oh, and please forgive my flippancy in my earlier post, I was having a strange day... :sorry1:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Kungfuzed said:
So then, God is not the source of happiness, sadness, confusion, clarity, or anger? Is the Holy Spirit just a bonus emotion that happens on special occasions, and the lack thereof is just like normal everyday life?

The source of happiness, sadness, confusion, comes down to you and how you respond to the cosmos. Even in the presence of God men have shown sadness, fear, confusion...etc.

As for your observation of the HS, I suppose I would agree with that. When you have some time I would recommend reading this skit by a Roman Catholic philosopher.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/dynamite.htm

Peace,
~Victor

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
wmam said:
Is this it?

Psa 81:12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.

Hey there, ive found the other verse, it is Romans1 verse 24,but all of Romans 1 pretty much speaks of that subject. Sorry it took a whilexx

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I do have to agree that I certainly don't feel damned either. My goodness, I have been consigned to the Hellfires by Muslims and by well meaning Christians. I've always wondered if I am going to be divided in two. Oy vey. There is so little of me to go around, but it is nice to be wanted. I figure if I play my cards right I might be able to tick of some Buddhists too and spend eternity mud-wrestling with wrathful dieties.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
‡Ød¥‡ said:
And why is this?

Because it's fun and educational. Probably for the same reasons some theists give me a hard time. Well, mainly the ones who try to convert me. And also the ones who are just completely ignorant. And by hard time I mean that I try to pose difficult questions that try to expose logical fallacies and inconsitencies within their beliefs. I admit, there are times when I enjoy watching someone squirm and stammer during a debate, but almost every time we both end up learning something from each other. And there are plenty of people here who could stump me too.

wmam

Stimpleton said:
Hey there, ive found the other verse, it is Romans1 verse 24,but all of Romans 1 pretty much speaks of that subject. Sorry it took a whilexx

I have to admit that I got busy doing other things and didn't get a chance to look anymore.

So looking at Psalms 81:12 as well as Rom 1:12 shows further proof that there is nothing new under the sun.