• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Inertia: a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force.

The pendulum doesn't move in a uniform straight line, it has angular/circular momentum.

The theory of general relativity is built on the principle of the equivalence of gravitation and inertia. This means that it is impossible to distinguish through any local measurement whether one is in a gravitational field or being accelerated. The entire assembly of any experiment and what it does would be moving to the alleged relativity of the Earth and its atmosphere at speeds of roughly 1000MPH.

Whether the acceleration is from motion or from gravity makes no difference in the laws of physics.

An accelerated charge radiates, per Maxwell's equation of electrodynamics.
This radiation electric field has an accompanying magnetic field, and the whole oscillating electromagnetic radiation field propagates independently of the accelerated charge, carrying away momentum and energy. The energy in the radiation is provided by the work that accelerates the charge.

The conclusion is that from the Foucault Pendelum: it is not possible to show what it says it does, using gravity and inertia.

Not too bad of a reply. Based on some good physical principles, although an incomplete understanding of them.

The problem is that the equivalence between acceleration and gravity only applies locally, not globally. In particular, they deviate when second order effects are considered. And coriolis forces are second order effects (dependent on the square of the angular momentum). In essence, they show how a local gravitational frame will deviate from an equivalent local accelerating frame.

A very nice try, though.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
An exercise of simple volition: raise your hand in the air. Where is the powerful effects of gravity at? Fall to the ground and get a bruise... the definition of weight is already sufficient. Your body will seek in the readiest manner of its level of stability.

No gravity required.

And the orbits of planets?

Profound Realization

Not too bad of a reply. Based on some good physical principles, although an incomplete understanding of them.

The problem is that the equivalence between acceleration and gravity only applies locally, not globally. In particular, they deviate when second order effects are considered. And coriolis forces are second order effects (dependent on the square of the angular momentum). In essence, they show how a local gravitational frame will deviate from an equivalent local accelerating frame.

A very nice try, though.

In physics, the principle of locality states that an object is only directly influenced by its immediate surroundings. The concept is that for an action at one point to have an influence at another point, something in the space between those points such as a field must mediate the action.

Coriolis is noticeable only for motions occurring over large distances and long periods of time, such as large-scale movement of air in the atmosphere or water in the ocean.

It makes no difference if the Coriolis effect is added... it is still paradoxical given that the Coriolis force is proportional to the velocity of the object. Any friction, gravity and your constant velocity of motion are equivalent to gravity, friction and the constant velocity of the projectile. The same physical rules apply. Simply demonstrated if you take any round projectile and hang it from a string. It will go through the same motions, first a uniform straight line and then the circular motion starts as the string is constantly pulling it toward the center of a the circle. The string would force the ball to turn.

This is easily explained by Centripetal force. One common example involving centripetal force is the case in which a body moves with uniform speed along a circular path. The centripetal force is directed at right angles to the motion and also along the radius towards the centre of the circular path.

We reach the same circular conclusion, equivalence paradox.

Since the Coriolis Effect is pretty much only noticeable on a large scale, it is much easier to lessen the probability that it's actually occurring on this minuscule scale of the pendelum. Also, when a Focault pendelum decides to go the opposite circular direction... would we call it anti-Coriolis effect? Similar to when a cyclone goes the opposite direction it's supposed to, just call it an anti-Cyclone and conclude that the Earth is spinning the opposite alleged-direction?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The goalposts remain rock solid.

You said you had an irrefutable demonstration of the reality of God.

And you don't.

Game over. You lose.

That isn't an irrefutable demonstration of the reality of God. You're trying to move the goalposts.

I didn't use the word irrefutable. Nothing is irrefutable to a stubborn person. I would never promise "I will give you evidence so strong, you will be forced to not use your free will to reject Christ." Islam converts at the point of a sword or gun but not biblical Christianity.

What I am able to do is give you proof of God. Those three words "proof of God", were what I said. If I used irrefutable in a prior post, I apologize for a poor word choice.

I already gave you some proof, "God is self-evident to me", and pointed out your double standard, that you are self-evident to you, which you accept, and that I am self-evident to me, which you accept since you are not a solipsist, and that you cannot stand the idea that God is self-evident to me, so that I and the billions around the world who accept God as self-evident are deceived in your opinion.

Either justify how it is that our entire species except for a few atheist outliers is deceived or insane or accept your double standard.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
This is lost on me as I do not feel any pains or loneliness without having a god in my life. Without god, why must someone be experiencing the "pains of loneliness?"

Because perhaps not today for you, but some day, there will be situations for you that God will be helpful/can be helpful in. One universal of the human condition is trials and suffering.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Because perhaps not today for you, but some day, there will be situations for you that God will be helpful/can be helpful in. One universal of the human condition is trials and suffering.
I've been through many trials, and have suffered deep emotional scars. And before god helps me (or any other over privileged American), he needs to help those who desperately need it the most. Violence in the Middle East, multiple hurricanes in the Caribbean, lack of food and clean drinking water. We need to have our priorities straight, god needs to have his. And while you tell me god may be able to help me, god really needs to do something about all the children who will die from starvation or disease today, he needs to protect and shelter those being abused, and he needs to do something about those spreading violence (including financially preying upon the vulnerable) in his name.
And if I turn to god because I may need his help, that's a pretty crappy thing to do because it would mean I intend to use god a means to an end. No one really appreciates someone doing that to them, and god I would assume is no different.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I've been through many trials, and have suffered deep emotional scars. And before god helps me (or any other over privileged American), he needs to help those who desperately need it the most. Violence in the Middle East, multiple hurricanes in the Caribbean, lack of food and clean drinking water. We need to have our priorities straight, god needs to have his. And while you tell me god may be able to help me, god really needs to do something about all the children who will die from starvation or disease today, he needs to protect and shelter those being abused, and he needs to do something about those spreading violence (including financially preying upon the vulnerable) in his name.
And if I turn to god because I may need his help, that's a pretty crappy thing to do because it would mean I intend to use god a means to an end. No one really appreciates someone doing that to them, and god I would assume is no different.

I would sum or restate what you wrote as:

1. I've had hard trials.

2. I will not ask God for help in future or present trials until He changes His actions to ones I see as fit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

1. I've had hard trials.

2. I will not ask God for help in future or present trials until He changes His actions to ones I see as fit.

1. I'm going to summarize what you said and present it in a fashion that advances my own agenda.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

1. I've had hard trials.

1. Irrelevant. I mentioned it because I've faced many hardships without god.
2. Yes, I admit, my own agenda includes putting humanity and the Earth first. You also neglected the part where I said god needs to do all those before he helps me. In the grand scheme of things, there are millions, probably billions, who need such divine help/interference/assistance way, way more than I do.
Extra point 3. You neglected to include that I wouldn't turn to god to use as a means to an end. No more than I'd turn to god "just in case" there is an afterlife of eternal damnation just so I don't "lose" that "wager."

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Because I'm empathetic with the pains of loneliness for those without God.

Many atheists would consider this condescending, but what you say is very true. I could not sustain that pain of loneliness and pointlessness of the Universe any further, either.
So, now I am a happy girl, again. After a lot of thinking and going through different phases of pain and fight with myself, I have found finally comfort in the prefect knowledge that Bob, the pink giant turtle looking-like creator of the Universe, provides the necessary purpose and meaning to make my existence bearable.

Joking aside, that reminds me of a young boy I met once. He must have been 13 or something. He told me he felt sorry and empathetic for his friends not believing in the magic of Santa anymore.

Who should we really feel sorry for, in that situation?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Many atheists would consider this condescending, but what you say is very true. I could not sustain that pain of loneliness and pointlessness of the Universe any further, either.
So, now I am a happy girl, again. After a lot of thinking and going through different phases of pain and fight with myself, I have found finally comfort in the prefect knowledge that Bob, the pink giant turtle looking-like creator of the Universe, provides the necessary purpose and meaning to make my existence bearable.

Joking aside, that reminds me of a young boy I met once. He must have been 13 or something. He told me he felt sorry and empathetic for his friends not believing in the magic of Santa anymore.

Who should we really feel sorry for, in that situation?

Ciao

- viole

You. You lack both the imagination to enjoy a Santa-Christmas and the critical yet open-minded thinking required to enjoy a Jesus-Christmas. I feel sorry for you, sorry enough that I constantly provide you Bible advice.

Profound Realization

Since Santa Claus has been brought up, would it be much different if one were say that they don't believe in magic of gravity anymore, the adult version of Santa Claus?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You. You lack both the imagination to enjoy a Santa-Christmas and the critical yet open-minded thinking required to enjoy a Jesus-Christmas. I feel sorry for you, sorry enough that I constantly provide you Bible advice.

Please, don't tell me you believe in Santa, too :)

ciao

- viole