• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am tired

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
For those who fight occasionally for human rights...do you ever just get tired? Feel as tho nothing you do will ever fix things?I constantly get involved with disability rights issues do what I can but things just don't change and sometimes get worse. I mean for instance folks are being shocked right now at Judge Rotenberg center and no one is speaking up about it except autistic folk. I havent seen a single nonautistic person speak up. It just seems to be getting worse. I am betting those shocks won't stay with Rotenberg. They'll move onto other places.History repeats itself and like right now we seem to be moving backwards not forward. No one will do a damn thing and theres not much we can do except write to senators. Like I'm just tired. What is the point in fighting?

RestlessSoul

Trying to make the world a better place can feel like a Sisyphean task - Sisyphus was condemned by Zeus to spend eternity pushing a boulder uphill, only to have it roll back over him and down the hill, before he reached the peak.

In the end, all any of us can do is contribute what little we can, and leave the outcome up to God, the Universe, Destiny, or Providence. If you believe in something strongly, keep faith and keep trying, but don't take too much on yourself and don't wear yourself out. Everything is easier, of course, if you have the support of other likeminded people around you.

The good guys do win in the end btw. If they're not winning now, well then, it ain't the end yet.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You can't fight 24/7. I'm guessing writing to your political representative will achieve less than zero (I don't bother any more). What nudges things are getting organised, getting publicity, demonstrations, protests, boycotting, involving a celebrity, media exposure (traditional and social). Practical stuff. Not fighting is what they want.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
For those who fight occasionally for human rights...do you ever just get tired?

This is a very good question. Often times we in the Social Work profession at least speaking on the crisis of homelessness in California see the perennial problem of constant ER admission of homeless people to who we had distributed resources for outpatient care as well as rehabilitation centers. When speaking of fatigue of helping people the common term we have used in the hospital is called "compassion fatigue."

Feel as tho nothing you do will ever fix things?I constantly get involved with disability rights issues do what I can but things just don't change and sometimes get worse. I mean for instance folks are being shocked right now at Judge Rotenberg center and no one is speaking up about it except autistic folk. I havent seen a single nonautistic person speak up. It just seems to be getting worse. I am betting those shocks won't stay with Rotenberg. They'll move onto other places.History repeats itself and like right now we seem to be moving backwards not forward. No one will do a damn thing and theres not much we can do except write to senators. Like I'm just tired. What is the point in fighting?

I hear your frustration. I can definitely draw a parallel into the issues I face similar to yours especially when you express your grievances to people who you feel can change the system or hopefully remedy the problem that you've seen. I think I've spent the last five years discussing with my boss on known "frequent flyers" (people who are known to admit themselves in the ER for psychiatric evaluation despite being discharged from a 72-hour hold). What was the response? Nothing. Because our hospital can charge Medi-Cal despite knowing that many of these psychiatric patients can or will never pay their portion. With the new ownership, they simply hold these people in the ER thus taking up space for potential patients that need beds until they get placement elsewhere. Half the time none of these people get the help they need because all we do is medicate them, feed them, clothe them (if necessary), and boot them or admit them on a 72-hour hold.

The only thing I can add is to continue fighting the good fight with all thy might.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Trying to make the world a better place can feel like a Sisyphean task - Sisyphus was condemned by Zeus to spend eternity pushing a boulder uphill, only to have it roll back over him and down the hill, before he reached the peak.

In the end, all any of us can do is contribute what little we can, and leave the outcome up to God, the Universe, Destiny, or Providence. If you believe in something strongly, keep faith and keep trying, but don't take too much on yourself and don't wear yourself out. Everything is easier, of course, if you have the support of other likeminded people around you.

The good guys do win in the end btw. If they're not winning now, well then, it ain't the end yet.

Very well met

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For those who fight occasionally for human rights...do you ever just get tired? Feel as tho nothing you do will ever fix things?
This "free will" granted to humanity can be a *****, biting us in the back, and usually the seemingly innocent ones even

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those who fight occasionally for human rights...do you ever just get tired? Feel as tho nothing you do will ever fix things?I constantly get involved with disability rights issues do what I can but things just don't change and sometimes get worse. I mean for instance folks are being shocked right now at Judge Rotenberg center and no one is speaking up about it except autistic folk. I havent seen a single nonautistic person speak up. It just seems to be getting worse. I am betting those shocks won't stay with Rotenberg. They'll move onto other places.History repeats itself and like right now we seem to be moving backwards not forward. No one will do a damn thing and theres not much we can do except write to senators. Like I'm just tired. What is the point in fighting?
The only useful advice I can offer is to accept that progress
comes slowly...in fits & starts. Advocacy is less stressful if
one limits expectations. This gets easier as one ages.

I'd have addressed your issue if I knew enuf to be useful.
But I don't. So I didn't.

VoidCat

The only useful advice I can offer is to accept that progress
comes slowly in fits & starts. Advocacy is less stressful if
one limits expectations.
I'd have addressed your issue if I knew enuf to be useful.
But I don't. So I didn't.
I'm just tired of fighting is all. I constantly am trying to change minds regarding disability constantly talking about it constantly getting constantly doing things online and offline. It's exhausting.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I'll be honest, I gave up activism and being an empath. I wrote the story in another thread, detailing everything. I'd post it here, but I do have concerns it might take the spotlight from you in this thread. It's post #36 in this thread: What We Really Think

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I moved states because I grew tired of fighting and needed something else.
The fighting is still going on, though significantly less of it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My actual positive thought is that the world is getting better and better overall all the time.

The earth plane is never expected to be perfect.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I moved states because I grew tired of fighting and needed something else.
The fighting is still going on, though significantly less of it.
You brought the fighting with you.
Take a tip from me....I gave the fighting side the boot.
No need to endure crap from louts.
They're all either dead or cut off permanently.
Life is good.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You brought the fighting with you.
Take a tip from me....I gave the fighting side the boot.
No need to endure crap from louts.
They're all either dead or cut off permanently.
Life is good.
I didn't bring it with me. Such as, here I've had no one staring at me over how I dress, nor has anyone told me to leave.

Justanatheist

No matter how tired never give up, remember one day a woman sat down on the wrong seat on a bus ......,.......................................

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Because if we don't fight, the bigots win. No other answer is as important. I'm an old, old fighter for gay rights in Canada, and I am very proud to say that we won -- but the fight was brutal for a long time, and a lot of people's lives were permanently ruined. But we had to continue, because it was the right thing to do.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Read the story of Mohandas K. Gandhi, the Mahatma (Great Soul). How often did he nearly die in his struggle, yet would never harm anyone? Yet, I will bet dollars to donuts that he got tired, too. And never let being tired stop him.

If you believe you are doing good -- keep doing it, with all your might. Rest, sometimes, but know you have to continue.

VoidCat

Read the story of Mohandas K. Gandhi, the Mahatma (Great Soul). How often did he nearly die in his struggle, yet would never harm anyone? Yet, I will bet dollars to donuts that he got tired, too. And never let being tired stop him.

If you believe you are doing good -- keep doing it, with all your might. Rest, sometimes, but know you have to continue.
Thank you.