• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Sandy and the election

applewuud

If you didn't watch Mitt Romney's acceptance speech at the Republican Convention, you missed his use of sea level rise and global warming as a laugh line for his fellow Republicans:

[youtube]VgSIw3OBOx0[/youtube]
Romney Knocks Obama On Rising Oceans - YouTube

"President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans, and to heal the planet." Romney intoned, as his audience chuckled with delight. Most Republican delegates have been persuaded that rising ocean levels are a liberal fabrication, or if they are rising, that it's not caused by human activity. Ha, ha, ha. "My promise is to help you and your family." Meaning, I'll keep on drilling for cheap oil and gas, and lower taxes to the vanishing point so the government can't afford to do anything about the environment.

How interesting that a week before the election, a lot of East Coast families are facing an unprecedented late-season storm, in late October when the Atlantic Ocean used to be too cool to energize a hurricane. The most important city in the United States is facing an 11-foot storm surge drowning lower Manhattan, closing the subways and tunnels and most of its bridges. Why? Because the Gulf Stream is warmer than it has ever been at this time of year, while the normal winter jet stream is colliding with the tropical air. This is the lowest barometric pressure to make landfall in history. Ha, ha, ha, those crazy liberal climate scientists.

Can you think of a previous major storm that began with the letter "S"? Probably not, because every year the storms are named in alphabetical order, and by the time you get that late in the alphabet, the oceans are too cool to make significant tropical storms. Consider this: Hurricane Andrew happened in mid-August, 1992, during the first President Bush's term. Hurricane Katrina happened in late August, 2005. And now we're getting Sandy...in October. There are more storms over a longer period. An individual storm can't be traced to "global warming", but the trend of all storms combined can be.

So, as we watch news stories about New York subways and tunnels being pumped out after Sandy, let's hope the American people have the good sense to elect leaders at all levels who think that climate change is something we're going to have to face, instead of laugh about.

Footnote:
The list of retired storm names is at:
List of retired Atlantic hurricane names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Notice how many of these names are in the first half of the alphabet.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
At the Republican Primary he advocated getting rid of FEMA and putting it on the states or privatizing disaster recovery. He doesn't have a clue.

[youtube]8Z3GVAX7ps4[/youtube]
YouTube

But today, in true flip flop Mitt Romney fashion, he had a different position.......

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/would-romney-support-fema--20121029
“Gov. Romney believes that states should be in charge of emergency management in responding to storms and other natural disasters in their jurisdictions,” Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg wrote in an email to National Journal. “As the first responders, states are in the best position to aid affected individuals and communities, and to direct resources and assistance to where they are needed most. This includes help from the federal government and FEMA.”

When asked about disaster relief and FEMA's role in a debate in June of 2011, Romney said, “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that's even better,”

When questioned by moderator John King of CNN about disaster relief specifically, Romney responded, “We cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view"

WOW....!!

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What really makes my blood run cold is that Sandy might get the Rombot elected by keeping New England liberals from the polls.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Chris christy who endorses rommney has complimented obama on his response and handeling of the disaster.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I had just read where the media was pushing for some statement from Obama about his campaign and how this will affect it and he basically just blew them off saying that his only priority right now was dealing with the emergency and the people that needed help. Meanwhile Romney is still in full campaign mode.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had just read where the media was pushing for some statement from Obama about his campaign and how this will affect it and he basically just blew them off saying that his only priority right now was dealing with the emergency and the people that needed help. Meanwhile Romney is still in full campaign mode.
As it should be.

MD

qualiaphile
Obama must gather as many powerful scientists, academics and governors and make a national statement stating how global warming and climate change facilitate the formation of stronger hurricanes.

He should tell the common man that voting for romney and republicans will result in more hurricanes, as increased warming of oceans tend to do so. To those who think this is nonsensical, it's a scientific fact.

Just like Bush did with Iraq and 9/11, Obama should use this to his benefit. You gotta play dirty with the republicans and beat them at their own game.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Obama did the right thing. His job is to be President and do the job of President. Had he politicized this like Romney then those on the right would have more talking points. Romney is holding a disaster relief fundraiser...(or whatever he's calling it)...in Ohio...:rolleyes:

Since he really isn't in a position to do much else and given the last time he came out to speak on a national tragedy....he should remain silent.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Chris christy who endorses rommney has complimented obama on his response and handeling of the disaster.

That was awesome....He said today that he would be calling the President to give him a status update....:yes:

The President's handling of this is much better than Bush back in 2008. I'm sad for the loss of life but happy that local and federal resources were in place and responded quick.

Did you hear about the things Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark NJ., was doing? He was responding to people via twitter. They were informing him of issues in various areas and he was on the scene and then reported his status updates via tweets. Awesome....

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
For those here that mistakenly believe that Romney would do away with FEMA, this is what he said in June 2011.
What Romney Would Do With FEMA
When was that relative to his devotion to protecting women's reproductive freedoms?

Face it, your guy changes positions too often to be believed on anything, now. He'll say anything to get your vote, which is in and of itself more than enough to lose him mine. I see no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt when he's the one creating all the doubt in the first place.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Last I checked I saw the death toll from Sandy at "at least 17". I just clicked on the update and it's sitting at "at least 34". Of course that's just people known about. I have been looking at the pictures taken on Twitter and elsewhere of the damage and...just holy crap.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
For those here that mistakenly believe that Romney would do away with FEMA, this is what he said in June 2011.
What Romney Would Do With FEMA

If you advocate putting it on the states "and going further" by privatizing disaster recovery then what role would FEMA have if disaster recover is for profit? How does disaster recovery for profit help the poor who can't afford it?

(NOTE: States already have disaster recovery procedures, resources in place). Additionally they get "some" help from Red Cross, Salvation Army, and Local churches...

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
When was that relative to his devotion to protecting women's reproductive freedoms?

Face it, your guy changes positions too often to be believed on anything, now. He'll say anything to get your vote, which is in and of itself more than enough to lose him mine. I see no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt when he's the one creating all the doubt in the first place.

I agree. What he said then and what his mouthpieces are saying now for him are totally different. He's all for FEMA now cause he wants that vote.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Last I checked I saw the death toll from Sandy at "at least 17". I just clicked on the update and it's sitting at "at least 34". Of course that's just people known about. I have been looking at the pictures taken on Twitter and elsewhere of the damage and...just holy crap.

It is bad. I didn't realize it was that many lost. Last I heard it was 6. Wow. I'm here in Virginia. We got hit but not as hard as Delaware, NJ, NY and others along the eastern seaboard.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you kidding me? This is beyond petty bs. And I know my rep governor agrees. Now is not the time. ...
It makes sense that the prez should temporarily refocus on his job.
It also makes sense that Romney (not having that responsibility yet) would continue campaigning.
Both are doing what is reasonable & ethical, given their different positions.
And I speculate that Romney, were he now prez, would do the same as Obama.

Revoltingistan is on the outermost fringe of the storm, but we've had big power outages & some
wind damage. Glad we aren't closer to it.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
That was awesome....He said today that he would be calling the President to give him a status update....:yes:

The President's handling of this is much better than Bush back in 2008. I'm sad for the loss of life but happy that local and federal resources were in place and responded quick.

Did you hear about the things Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark NJ., was doing? He was responding to people via twitter. They were informing him of issues in various areas and he was on the scene and then reported his status updates via tweets. Awesome....

Yeah im really proud of the goverment and public officals they were prepared worked together were informative etc. Every one has done a great job.