• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans achieving Godhood ?

Flat Earth Kyle

Become God or realize you've always been God? Is "God" a discrete personage or Existence itself, Consciousness itself or Reality itself?

If there's only One Consciousness in the universe and our individual consciousnesses are illusory, would expansion of an individual consciousness to encompass the entirety of all consciousness in the universe constitute becoming God?

If a raindrop merges with the sea can it not then be refered to as the sea?

We may be gods children, but we do not have God the father's power and glory yet. Take note that only the righteous and worthy will sit in God's throne and inherit all the Father hath. Thus is the importance of keeping God's commandments. Disobeying the commandments of God literally smothers our power and glory. A child has the potential to be like their parents, but when we sin and disobey that potential is destroyed, for sin literally retards us in a spiritual sense, hence the wicked are considered children of the devil because the direction they head in is toward becoming like the devil.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're thinking of the Abrahamic notion of God, as an immensely powerful, magical personage; as a discrete being, separate from the "creation."
This is not everyone's idea of God, Yaddoe. Generally those speaking of becoming God or merging with the Godhead aren't thinking of a discrete being.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why do some people in life think humans have the potential to be gods ?
If you are one of these people can you please justify this conclusion. Also I would like to know what could or would lead to such a outrageous conclusion ? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain that leads to such delusions ? Is it greed or weird desire for power or control over all that exists in the heavens ?

What are your thoughts on this matter ?

I can't speak for other people but I believe that it is possible because it possibly happened in the past.

I beleive there is a desire to have things be as perfect on earth as they are in Heaven. I also don't believe this is possible and don't agree that it is necessary. Life's imperfections actually make life fun IMO. For instance on an online life simulation my wife has a stauesque shape and dances great. Although I admire physicaI perfection, I like the real life version of my wife better myself.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
If you are one of these people can you please justify this conclusion. Also I would like to know what could or would lead to such a outrageous conclusion ? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain that leads to such delusions ? Is it greed or weird desire for power or control over all that exists in the heavens ?

I am an awakened god. all humans are gods and it is my xeper to awaken them. It is our creativity, perception, imigination, tanacity, love etc that shows our god hood. your questions were rude and not even close to how any one i know feels on the topic.

another way godhood could be viewed is like a magicians rank apprentace journeyman adept archmage god =D

As someone who experienced psychosis via a legally prescribed medication (adverse reaction), I can tell you that we just may be a lot more than we realize.

In psychosis, the visions and voices (not hallucinations*) are extremely compelling. The psychotic world is a fascinating and frightening place. I learned many things about myself and the construct while in the full-blown state.

I can honestly say that it permanently changed my view of our existence and our purpose in this world and that I am still on the fringes of that psychotic plane. I still hear the voices. I still receive "the feed".

Medication moderates my experience, but I confess that the intellectual journey through psychosis was so rich that, despite the terrible fear I felt, I find myself wanting to return.

I know where we can go. I've been there myself. When I "got back" I wrote it all down and I'm still writing four years later.

One of the biggest insights I had in the psychotic state was that our brain potential is off the scale, but for some reason our sensory array, the brain structure that actually processes the data, is not equipped to handle all the input.

In the psychotic state you perceive and analyze much more data. Emotionally, homo sapiens are not ready for that level of information processing. We are easily overwhelmed. That's when the white coats or the badges show up.

I was taking so much data onboard I was having chest pain from the stress of processing it.

I firmly believe we have to potential to be mini-"gods" of a sort. Not in the vein of God with a capital "G" by any means, but intellectually stellar with extremely heightened senses. We see shades of this state in savants, synesthetes and, of course, in people like Albert Einstein.

My experience taught me either that man is meant to be more than he is, or he was, at one time, closer to being a "god" than he is now. These may be the men who built the pyramids and who laid the foundations of our civilization.

We shouldn't doubt ourselves and we shouldn't limit our horizons. The potential is there. We need only find a way to tap it without descending into madness.

I did find myself wondering if insanity was God's method of ejecting us from the Garden, paradise. It certainly seemed to be. I was profoundly unhappy in psychosis, frightened of everything, vulnerable to any attack. I did sense the devil's hand in it. We are surrounded and don't even know it.

*In psychosis, everyday discussion is interpreted differently than it normally is and visual input is largely interpreted as symbolism. Everything has multiple meanings and you spend the bulk of your time deciphering the meaning of it all. It is exhausting.

Aquitaine

As someone who experienced psychosis via a legally prescribed medication (adverse reaction), I can tell you that we just may be a lot more than we realize.

In psychosis, the visions and voices (not hallucinations*) are extremely compelling. The psychotic world is a fascinating and frightening place. I learned many things about myself and the construct while in the full-blown state.

I can honestly say that it permanently changed my view of our existence and our purpose in this world and that I am still on the fringes of that psychotic plane. I still hear the voices. I still receive "the feed".

Medication moderates my experience, but I confess that the intellectual journey through psychosis was so rich that, despite the terrible fear I felt, I find myself wanting to return.

I know where we can go. I've been there myself. When I "got back" I wrote it all down and I'm still writing four years later.

One of the biggest insights I had in the psychotic state was that our brain potential is off the scale, but for some reason our sensory array, the brain structure that actually processes the data, is not equipped to handle all the input.

In the psychotic state you perceive and analyze much more data. Emotionally, homo sapiens are not ready for that level of information processing. We are easily overwhelmed. That's when the white coats or the badges show up.

I was taking so much data onboard I was having chest pain from the stress of processing it.

I firmly believe we have to potential to be mini-"gods" of a sort. Not in the vein of God with a capital "G" by any means, but intellectually stellar with extremely heightened senses. We see shades of this state in savants, synesthetes and, of course, in people like Albert Einstein.

My experience taught me either that man is meant to be more than he is, or he was, at one time, closer to being a "god" than he is now. These may be the men who built the pyramids and who laid the foundations of our civilization.

We shouldn't doubt ourselves and we shouldn't limit our horizons. The potential is there. We need only find a way to tap it without descending into madness.

I did find myself wondering if insanity was God's method of ejecting us from the Garden, paradise. It certainly seemed to be. I was profoundly unhappy in psychosis, frightened of everything, vulnerable to any attack. I did sense the devil's hand in it. We are surrounded and don't even know it.

*In psychosis, everyday discussion is interpreted differently than it normally is and visual input is largely interpreted as symbolism. Everything has multiple meanings and you spend the bulk of your time deciphering the meaning of it all. It is exhausting.

I admit that I have no experience or major knowledge on Psychosis, however I am curious as how one would distinguish between "higher experiences" and hallucinations, during a Psychotic episode - were you able to do that? :)

Paul, yes. I had a profound sense that God, or something much more powerful than me, was with me. I was also aware that there were distinctly good and bad entities.

I went into psychosis an atheist. I came out of it a believer.

I don't think anyone who experiences this state would come out of it an atheist.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

Because the line between humans and gods is not clearly present.

If you are one of these people can you please justify this conclusion.

One is within both their ability, and their rights to define god as they see fit. Thus defining god as 'human' or 'human-like' is not outside the realm of possibility. At least, no more outside the realm of possibility than any other description one decides to assign.

Also I would like to know what could or would lead to such a outrageous conclusion ?

Probably the same thing that leads you to call it 'outrageous'.

Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain that leads to such delusions ?

No, its a chemical balance in the brain that leads to such perceptions.

Is it greed or weird desire for power or control over all that exists in the heavens ?

It could be greed or power-lust. Of course, those are the same thing, but whatever. So, what leads you to the delusion that god controls all that exists in the heavens? Or do you sort of consider that more of a perception than a delusion?

That there are no such thing as incorrect god concepts. Only the ones we hold and the ones we don't.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I used to but then I began to question the wisdom of hijacking a worn out idea and superimposing it on unlimited growth potential. I've since settled on the term "creaturehood" as a suitable replacement because it is devoid of the preconceptions of "god" and retains the limitless permutations of possibility.

If you are one of these people can you please justify this conclusion. Also I would like to know what could or would lead to such a outrageous conclusion ? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain that leads to such delusions ? Is it greed or weird desire for power or control over all that exists in the heavens?
Your thoughts perfectly illustrate my reservations with using the term "god", as human animals have such deeply ingrained preconceptions about said idea. In my view, it is far better to just drop the whole "god" mess and start fresh.

What makes one arrive at such conclusions? Easy. There is a mystical state that is often described as being Oneness. In that state ALL REALITY is seen/perceived as being part of a larger Whole. Consciousness is linked to all other forms of consciousness in an unimaginably immense psychological gestalt of breathtaking proportions. The perception of the subject/object phenomena vaporizes, as reality is seen through the lens of Oneness.

Upon returning from said state to ordinary reality one is left with many odd questions, one of which is, "Who am I?" The answer(s) to that question, especially at first, can have troubling implications. IF one strongly believed in god prior to the event, they may well conclude after the event that they are god. The rational is that since all is One, there is only one answer to "who" "you" are. "You" are "god".

Fortunately, in time, one learns that the answer to "who" isn't nearly as delicious as the answer to "What".

Does it really matter?

Last edited:
There is a mystical state that is often described as being Oneness. In that state ALL REALITY is seen/perceived as being part of a larger Whole. Consciousness is linked to all other forms of consciousness in an unimaginably immense psychological gestalt of breathtaking proportions. The perception of the subject/object phenomena vaporizes, as reality is seen through the lens of Oneness.
Welcome to psychosis. And I can definitely relate to the not "who" but "what" aspect of the experience.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

And I can certainly relate to all this. Here's the rub though, most "spiritual" people aren't used to thinking of their inner experience as possibly being a form of psychosis. They tend to fabricate grandiose underpinnings vaulting themselves into an elite group who have a hot line to god.

To be fair though, it is much harder to erase "god" from one's thinking than most would believe. Then one needs to erase good and evil as well. It can be quite the cathartic adventure... but not without some pitfalls along the way.

And I can certainly relate to all this. Here's the rub though, most "spiritual" people aren't used to thinking of their inner experience as possibly being a form of psychosis. They tend to fabricate grandiose underpinnings vaulting themselves into an elite group who have a hot line to god.

To be fair though, it is much harder to erase "god" from one's thinking than most would believe. Then one needs to erase good and evil as well. It can be quite the cathartic adventure... but not without some pitfalls along the way.
In the depths of my illness I did experience a voice trying to convince me I was Christ and the devil. It was a game of "good cop, bad cop". I knew better though.

I felt like the computer in the movie "Wargames" (WOPR?), being tasked to play Tic Tac Toe in endless iterations to occupy me because I'd made the wrong people angry. That kind of continuous processing burns you out if you're biological.

Anyway, I can understand how some might make the mistake of thinking they're the Big "G" or the Big "C". Whatever spoke to me in the hallucinations I did have tried very hard to convince me. Was it Satan? I don't know. How does he manifest?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In the depths of my illness I did experience a voice trying to convince me I was Christ and the devil. It was a game of "good cop, bad cop". I knew better though.

I felt like the computer in the movie "Wargames" (WOPR?), being tasked to play Tic Tac Toe in endless iterations to occupy me because I'd made the wrong people angry. That kind of continuous processing burns you out if you're biological.

Anyway, I can understand how some might make the mistake of thinking they're the Big "G" or the Big "C". Whatever spoke to me in the hallucinations I did have tried very hard to convince me. Was it Satan? I don't know. How does he manifest?
I'd love to hear the details, as much detail as possible, about this remarkable experience and the enduring affect it has had on you. Obviously that would be off topic, but still, it might make a for fascinating thread idea in the NON-DEBATE sections. :)

dust1n

Zindīq
Why is the idea that humans are gods outrageous? Delusional? Greedy?

Seems to me the belief is not necessarily any of these. Nay, if you recognize there is no place where the gods are not, humans are not excluded from divine status. Humanists effectively worship humanity. They place humanity at the heart of meaningfulness and purpose; they consider it to be of paramount importance above all else; and, their goal and drive in life is to serve and better the human condition. They may not call humanity their gods, but that is the functional role that it plays. Honestly, it seems to me in my own culture that more people functionally honor themselves or humanity as gods than the aspects of reality more traditionally given the label.

To me, speculating on what Godhood is and where can be found is pointless.God is inaccessible, his/her/its 'realm' is unknown, untraceable, and nothing can really be legitimately said the thing, so it's kinda nonsensical to endow a 'hood' to 'god,' it being all unknowable, sine no one could ever know what godhood even entails.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To me, speculating on what Godhood is and where can be found is pointless.God is inaccessible, his/her/its 'realm' is unknown, untraceable, and nothing can really be legitimately said the thing, so it's kinda nonsensical to endow a 'hood' to 'god,' it being all unknowable, sine no one could ever know what godhood even entails.

That's fair. Is not this viewpoint also speculation, however? :D

Honestly, a base definition of the gods that is inclusive of all world religions is to observe that gods are aspects a human or group of humans deem worthy of worship (aka, worthy of reverence, honor, respect, etc.). The specific characteristics of the aspect necessarily depends on what that aspect is, as does how accessible and knowable the aspect is.

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Wow this sort of didn't go as I expected. LoL but its all good. Meant in terms of like having powers/divine abilities and stuff. Hmmm seems like I can't edit the op.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow this sort of didn't go as I expected. LoL but its all good. Meant in terms of like having powers/divine abilities and stuff. Hmmm seems like I can't edit the op.

The irony is that still wouldn't change my response much depending on how it is phrased. Humans already have powers and divine abilities to me, for I see all things as divine or worthy of worship (whether or not I actively worship something is a distinctly different question). Now, if you're asking if humans will mutate into the X-men and get superpowers - if that's what you mean by godly abilities - then I would say not in the foreseeable future. :D

dust1n

Zindīq
That's fair. Is not this viewpoint also speculation, however? :D

...Not uh! :D Fair enough.

Honestly, a base definition of the gods that is inclusive of all world religions is to observe that gods are aspects a human or group of humans deem worthy of worship (aka, worthy of reverence, honor, respect, etc.). The specific characteristics of the aspect necessarily depends on what that aspect is, as does how accessible and knowable the aspect is.

Tying all of the god's in with "worthy-of-reverence" or what have you will still be rather fishy, cause, like you say, there are some fundamental differences between gods, and more particularly why they are exalted.

Flat Earth Kyle

18796_10151130285226898_1377298519_n.jpg

I made this myself :D