• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans achieving Godhood ?

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Why do some people in life think humans have the potential to be gods ?
If you are one of these people can you please justify this conclusion. Also I would like to know what could or would lead to such a outrageous conclusion ? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain that leads to such delusions ? Is it greed or weird desire for power or control over all that exists in the heavens ?

What are your thoughts on this matter ?

outhouse

Atheistically
If you are one of these people can you please justify this conclusion. Also I would like to know what could or would lead to such a outrageous conclusion ? Is it a chemical imbalance in the brain that leads to such delusions ? Is it greed or weird desire for power or control over all that exists in the heavens ?

Turning men into gods is in our human history.

Emperors were first called "son of god" before Jesus, and viewed as divine.

Many claim Jesus was deified after his death.

Is it really outrageous that mortal men place others above themselves?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is the idea that humans are gods outrageous? Delusional? Greedy?

Seems to me the belief is not necessarily any of these. Nay, if you recognize there is no place where the gods are not, humans are not excluded from divine status. Humanists effectively worship humanity. They place humanity at the heart of meaningfulness and purpose; they consider it to be of paramount importance above all else; and, their goal and drive in life is to serve and better the human condition. They may not call humanity their gods, but that is the functional role that it plays. Honestly, it seems to me in my own culture that more people functionally honor themselves or humanity as gods than the aspects of reality more traditionally given the label.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you interpret about this belief because religions I am aware of, including my own, which say it is possible to become a god do not assume that gods have absolute power. It isn't the same as becoming God.

In Hinduism, the gods are not spiritual entities. They are born and die, have karma and limited power. The way to become a god (or demi-god, as it is sometimes translated to) is to have a certain amount of spiritual development and really good karma.

I'm not aware of any religion that says one can become exactly the same as God (quality AND quantity).

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Would it not depend on how you classify a god?

If something of the natural has the capacity to obtain the characteristics that you use to categorize godhood then surely it is possible for the natural to become divine. If on the other hand you hold godhood to be separate to the natural, an anomaly or something of the kind - a different order of existence 'supernatural' perhaps, then these kinds of concepts are perhaps more difficult to envisage any natural entity obtaining those characteristics. But why would the supernatural categorization be any more valid than the natural categorization? If the characteristics are something obtainable then the 'status' can be attained, but it all depends on how you envisage the concept of godhood, a part of existence, or, apart from existence. Then there are the concepts of the sum of existence and more than the sum of existence there are many many many different ways to envisage godhood.

Last edited:

Egor

A Veridican for Christ
God is monistic in nature. That means that the only thing that really exists is God.

The human purpose is to become Christ. Christ is God, conscious of Himself, from within His creation.

If you think on this, you will see that it is necessarily true. These are the two axioms of Veridicanism

The First Veridican Church

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors. This does not mean that we are to be perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (and it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously - no flippancy, no superiority, no presumption." -C.S. Lewis

Flat Earth Kyle

If you really want to know go check out these 2 other threads already on the same topic.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/121925-gods-children.html
and
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/118653-god-exhaulted-man.html

Flat Earth Kyle

We also talk about all of these scripture references.
let them have dominion: Gen. 1:26 . ( Moses 2:26 . )
man is become as one of us: Gen. 3:22 . ( Moses 4:28 . )
be holy: for I … am holy: Lev. 19:2 . ( 1 Pet. 1:16 . )
thou hast made him a little lower than the angels: Ps. 8:5 .
madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands: Ps. 8:6 .
Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High: Ps. 82:6 .
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father: Matt. 5:48 . ( 3 Ne. 12:48 . )
spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have: Luke 24:39 .
Is it not written in your law … Ye are gods: John 10:34 . ( Ps. 82 ; D&C 76:58 . )
we are the offspring of God: Acts 17:29 .
heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ: Rom. 8:17 .
changed into the same image from glory to glory: 2 Cor. 3:18 .
if a son, then an heir of God through Christ: Gal. 4:7 .
Till we all come … unto a perfect man: Eph. 4:13 .
be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live: Heb. 12:9 .
when he shall appear, we shall be like him: 1 Jn. 3:2 .
him that overcometh will … sit with me in my throne: Rev. 3:21 .

Last edited by a moderator:

Flat Earth Kyle

These ones are also really good
1 John 3: 2-3
"1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

Phillipians 2:5-6; 3:14
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2 Corr. 12:1-7
1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

and Rev. 21:7; 3:21
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Become God or realize you've always been God? Is "God" a discrete personage or Existence itself, Consciousness itself or Reality itself?

If there's only One Consciousness in the universe and our individual consciousnesses are illusory, would expansion of an individual consciousness to encompass the entirety of all consciousness in the universe constitute becoming God?

If a raindrop merges with the sea can it not then be refered to as the sea?