• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Animals?

Kfox

It's laughable. Humans would be extinct in months, if phytoplankton stopped existing.
Extinct in months? Yeah; but the phytoplankton would all have to die to accomplish this. If that's the game you wanna play, if humans were to release all of their nuclear weapons, chemical weapons and all other weapons at once, life on Earth would become extinct IMMEDIATELY! Yeah; mankind would die also, but if that's the game you gonna play, immediately is a lot quicker than a month.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Extinct in months? Yeah; but the phytoplankton would all have to die to accomplish this. If that's the game you wanna play, if humans were to release all of their nuclear weapons, chemical weapons and all other weapons at once, life on Earth would become extinct IMMEDIATELY! Yeah; mankind would die also, but if that's the game you gonna play, immediately is a lot quicker than a month.
How about a nice game of chess?

Bthoth

*banned*
The life within the deep caves of the earth, would not even know that mankind was firing a bunch of firecrackers.

Little Dragon

Wrong. Bacteria and other microorganisms, Extremophiles in particular would survive anything humans could do to the planet.

Also being able to destroy your own environment, better than anyone else, does not make you more equal or better. It makes you a potential threat, a cancer.

Kfox

Wrong. Bacteria and other microorganisms, Extremophiles in particular would survive anything humans could do to the planet.

Also being able to destroy your own environment, better than anyone else, does not make you more equal or better. It makes you a potential threat, a cancer.
I said "creatures"; not microorganisms. the claim was that eagles, worms, and humans have an equal effect on the ecosystem and I was referring to those type of creatures in my response.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You do realize mankind has a far, far, far greater effect on the global ecosystem than all those other creatures combined..... do you?
Homo sapiens is at the top of a food chain. So it could disappear and the planet would be just fine (far better in fact, given our activities). Worms are at the bottom end of a food chain, so if they disappeared it would have a massive effect on the biosphere.

- 4 Reasons Why Earthworms Are Important For The Ecosystem | Focusing on Wildlife

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So I gather according to you, the fact that we all eat, sleep, and crap makes us all equal, and what we do when we are not eating, sleeping, or crapping is irrelevant? If this is your view, I guess we can agree to disagree;

Basically.

I find the entirety of what we do a legitimate way of judging value.
Absolutely, I agree, but I judge humans by human standards, and dogs by dog standards, birds by etc etc.

That's equality.

What about morality? Do you judge people according to the same standard that you judge all other creatures?
Answered above this.

Or do you judge us to a higher moral standard due to us being human?

Neither standard is above or below another.

Viker

Häxan
Are humans really animals? Or are we some kind of Spiritually blessed non-animal entity?

Honestly, though, the other thread keeps making me think of this thread so I'm opening it up.

Come One, come All.
Humans are animals. And animals are spiritually blessed entities.

Kfox

Homo sapiens is at the top of a food chain. So it could disappear and the planet would be just fine (far better in fact, given our activities). Worms are at the bottom end of a food chain, so if they disappeared it would have a massive effect on the biosphere.

- 4 Reasons Why Earthworms Are Important For The Ecosystem | Focusing on Wildlife
The question was not who would have the greatest impact if they all died, it was who would have the greatest impact according to what they do, or can do.

Kfox

Basically.

Absolutely, I agree, but I judge humans by human standards, and dogs by dog standards, birds by etc etc.

That's equality.

Answered above this.

Neither standard is above or below another.
There is no morality all of humanity agrees on, what one person says is right, another says is wrong. That's why I was asking about YOUR moral standard. Is it your view that if the vast majority of dogs, birds, humans decide "X" is morally right, therefore it is right if done by birds, dogs, or humans? Is this your view?
Creature means everything other than human.
The dictionary says it is any living thing that can move independently. I don't think that includes bacteria; but even if it did, that wasn't what the guy I was responding to was talking about.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
There is no morality all of humanity agrees on, what one person says is right, another says is wrong. That's why I was asking about YOUR moral standard. Is it your view that if the vast majority of dogs, birds, humans decide "X" is morally right, therefore it is right if done by birds, dogs, or humans? Is this your view?

Where did I say or insinuate this. I told you my views on this above.

This: "I agree, but I judge humans by human standards, and dogs by dog standards, birds by etc etc."

There will never be agreement between animals and humans in regards to morality, we do t share a language. And they are judged to different standards equally. By each according to his ability, to each according to his need. Equality through treating everyone as they deserve individually. Circumstances are always viewed and analyzed, which is why humans have no "set morality" as you state.

The dictionary says it is any living thing that can move independently. I don't think that includes bacteria;

It does. Bacteria and viruses move under their own volition. As does many other cellular things. Sperm for instance. Most single cell things have cilia, flagellates, and other modes of movement.

It seems to come back again to what you seem as worthy of being called "alive". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kfox

Where did I say or insinuate this. I told you my views on this above.
No you did not. I asked for your moral views. You gave me views that had nothing to do with your morality.
This: "I agree, but I judge humans by human standards, and dogs by dog standards, birds by etc etc."
There is no such thing as a human moral standard, each human has their own moral standard which varies from person to person.
There will never be agreement between animals and humans in regards to morality, we do t share a language. And they are judged to different standards equally.
When you look at issues like the use of Nuclear weapons during war, transgender issues, abortion, and countless other issues, it is obvious humans don’t agree with humans even when they share the same language. That’s why I asked for YOUR moral views; something you seem reluctant to give.
It does. Bacteria and viruses move under their own volition. As does many other cellular things. Sperm for instance. Most single cell things have cilia, flagellates, and other modes of movement.

It seems to come back again to what you seem as worthy of being called "alive". Correct me if I'm wrong.
No you're wrong. we were talking about insects and animals.