• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hugs from DS

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
To anyone here having a rough time, feeling down, or just in need of some support, I'm here for you! Feel free to vent here or via PM to me and, if you want, to ask for a hug.

Have at it!

Venting:

Bigotry sucks. It needs to be countered.

Institutionalized bigotry kills and commits violence with impunity. It needs to be fought with more energy and much more focus than just bigotry in general.

Excusing institutionalized bigotry as a mere difference of opinion is an insidiously complicit gesture. The violence continues, and good people do nothing except to tell the people most affected not to rock the boat too much, or that one is being "just as bad."

That can be pretty discouraging at times.

Hugs welcomed.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Venting:

Bigotry sucks. It needs to be countered.

Institutionalized bigotry kills and commits violence with impunity. It needs to be fought with more energy and much more focus than just bigotry in general.

Excusing institutionalized bigotry as a mere difference of opinion is an insidiously complicit gesture. The violence continues, and good people do nothing except to tell the people most affected not to rock the boat too much, or that one is being "just as bad."

That can be pretty discouraging at times.

Hugs welcomed.

That really sucks. I feel you.

Here, have a big hug.
hugging-smiley-Huggalo.gif

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I love Easter Vigil Mass. But this year it's going to be sad.
For over 20 years I have gone with my friend and hero Pat Conard. Her family wasn't interested in a 3 hour Catholapalluza. Nobody else I knew was either. So we went together every year.
Pat was a force in this town. From "stop the hate" to "stop the war" to feed the hungry to fighting racism to gender/ lgbt to "Friends of Haiti" to voter registration to "reproductive freedom".....

You just haven't lived until you have experienced a knock down drag out argument between a Catholic churchlady prochoicer and an equally argumentative queer atheist prolifer.

Well, the summer before last she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was only moderately virulent and caught early. By Easter of last year, her treatment was mostly done and she was feeling better. But the very next week, she took a turn for the worse. Turned out the cancer had metastasized to a peculiarly nasty liver cancer. The treatment was painful, expensive, and offered little improvement to the prognosis.
She declined treatment. By June she was gone.

I want to go to Easter Vigil Mass, and I am sure I will. But it will be hard to do it and not cry.
I am not a cryer. I don't know how to do this.

Tom

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I love Easter Vigil Mass. But this year it's going to be sad.
For over 20 years I have gone with my friend and hero Pat Conard. Her family wasn't interested in a 3 hour Catholapalluza. Nobody else I knew was either. So we went together every year.
Pat was a force in this town. From "stop the hate" to "stop the war" to feed the hungry to fighting racism to gender/ lgbt to "Friends of Haiti" to voter registration to "reproductive freedom".....

You just haven't lived until you have experienced a knock down drag out argument between a Catholic churchlady prochoicer and an equally argumentative queer atheist prolifer.

Well, the summer before last she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was only moderately virulent and caught early. By Easter of last year, her treatment was mostly done and she was feeling better. But the very next week, she took a turn for the worse. Turned out the cancer had metastasized to a peculiarly nasty liver cancer. The treatment was painful, expensive, and offered little improvement to the prognosis.
She declined treatment. By June she was gone.

I want to go to Easter Vigil Mass, and I am sure I will. But it will be hard to do it and not cry.
I am not a cryer. I don't know how to do this.

Tom

Wow. That's pretty intense.

*hugs Columbus*