• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge gap between humans and animals

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I suspect because your perspective is not informed by reason in the first place.
a few hours ago....I watched a doctor make report about our eating habits
he noted that we share dna with other primates

it is actually easier to spot the difference by examining the microbe content of our guts

we humans differ greatly
just for cause of what we consume

Bear Wild

Since he has a PhD and you and I do not, I'll defer to his opinion.
So PhD automatically makes a person correct? He is talking about behavior creating the difference but that is not how we classify organisms in an evolutionary perspective. If we classify by behavior then we would place the corvids with the chimpanzees given the new information about corvid tool modification and problem solving. We also are limited in understanding animal behavior particularly in the wild because of our limited ability to test for behaviors in the wild. We have made progress in trying to understand the Umwelt of the different organisms but this a developing field. There is no reason also to not believe that other organisms could not developed the same behavioral patterns as humans with time especially with social organisms.

Bear Wild

a few hours ago....I watched a doctor make report about our eating habits
he noted that we share dna with other primates

it is actually easier to spot the difference by examining the microbe content of our guts

we humans differ greatly
just for cause of what we consume
What does the microbe content of our guts tell us how different we are?

Shantanu

Why only humans are different than the rest of animals in terms of thinking, talking
and the way of living, no animal can be compared to humans?

Why we can't even see animals in midway between humans and animals in
terms of thinking, talking and the ability to invent ..etc?

How that is explained by science, we can see different kinds of animals horses, donkeys, dogs,
different kind of birds, but why humans are unique?
Humans, Homo sapiens, has resulted from gradual evolution of how humans came about. We may start the progression with the catarrhine Parapithecus (Oligocene, 35 million years ago), Propliopithecus, Aegyptopithecus, Saadanius (29 milllion years ago), Kamoyapithecus (24 million years ago); then the arboreal (tree dwelling catarrhine) in early Miocene with fossil finds in East Africa; the monkey Victoriapithecus (20 million years ago); then Proconsul, Rangwapithecus, Dendropithecus, Limnopithecus, Nacholapithecus, Equatorius, Nyanzapithecus, Afropithecus, Heliopithecus, and Kenyapithecus, fossil finds all in East Africa (13 million years ago); the non-cercopithecids Otavipithecus fossil finds in Namibia; the Pierolapithecus and Dryopithecus fossil finds in France, Spain and Austria (middle Miocene); Oreopithecus fossil finds in Italy (9 million years ago); then the following sequence of transition: Sahelanthropus tchadensis (7 million years ago); Orrorin tugenensis; Ardipithecus ramidus; Australopithecus anamensis; Australopithecus afarensis; Kenyanthropus platyops; Australopithecus africanus; Australopithecus garhi; Australopithecus sediba; Australopithecus aethiopicus; Australopithecus robustus; Australopithecus boisei; Homo habilis; Homo georgicus; Homo erectus; Homo ergaster; Homo antecessor; Homo heidelbergensis; Homo neanderthalensis; Homo floresiensis; and humans Homo sapiens sapiens (today).

One would assume that they were intermediates and went extinct because they were gradually replaced.

Last edited:

Bear Wild

What it does is make him the expert in primatology. He may be wrong, but his opinion is the best one out there until NEW evidence comes out to modify it.
But he is talking about behavioral differences only and not the genetic relationship to different primates and did not address the possibility for other primates to evolve with similar abilities in time. Yes humans have more complex behaviors than other primates but we are still a primate. As for a huge gap, human physiology, genetics and structural components of the brain are not so different than our fellow primates and still classify us in the Animal kingdom. So the argument that humans are some how far removed from the animal kingdom just because our behavior is the most complex does not justify the argument that we are some how no longer a part of the animal kingdom. We share characteristic that are alike then different. I did not find anything in his argument to suggest that he thinks that humans as different classification than other animals from what he said and would find it hard to believe he would believe that giving how much he should understand biology of humans and other animals.

Bear Wild

What it does is make him the expert in primatology. He may be wrong, but his opinion is the best one out there until NEW evidence comes out to modify it.
But he is talking about behavioral differences only and not the genetic relationship to different primates and did not address the possibility for other primates to evolve with similar abilities in time. Yes humans have more complex behaviors than other primates but we are still a primate. As for a huge gap, human physiology, genetics and structural components of the brain are not so different than our fellow primates and still classify us in the Animal kingdom. So the argument that humans are some how far removed from the animal kingdom just because our behavior is the most complex does not justify the argument that we are some how no longer a part of the animal kingdom. We share characteristic that are alike then different. I did not find anything in his argument to suggest that he thinks that humans as different classification than other animals from what he said and would find it hard to believe he would believe that giving how much he should understand biology of humans and other animals.
well if that was the ONLY difference......

but that is a HUGE difference
No it is not if you understand evolutionary biology and the brain.

Bear Wild

well if that was the ONLY difference......

but that is a HUGE difference
It is not as big of a difference as you see. The genetics to potentially create the same behavior is in other organisms. If selected for there is no reason for another organism to develop the same behavioral traits. Humans existed for a long time similar to our other primates with the same brain that we have today.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
But he is talking about behavioral differences only and not the genetic relationship to different primates and did not address the possibility for other primates to evolve with similar abilities in time.
I'm not saying that other primates might not also develop into beings with similar abilities, or other abilities that are equally amazing.

We share a lot with animals because we were once animals, and are still quasi-aniimals. It doesn't mean we aren't evolving into something else.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
As for a huge gap, human physiology, genetics and structural components of the brain are not so different than our fellow primates and still classify us in the Animal kingdom.
If you had bothered to watch the video of Robert Sapolsky, the expert in primatology (which you aren't) he states that the SHERE NUMBER of difference in amount of neurotransmitters we have and those chimps have create a QUALITATIVE difference in outcome.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It is not as big of a difference as you see. The genetics to potentially create the same behavior is in other organisms. If selected for there is no reason for another organism to develop the same behavioral traits. Humans existed for a long time similar to our other primates with the same brain that we have today.
no kind of primate will ever behave as I do

they can't

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the biggest differences between humans and the other primates is our ability of abstract reasoning and metaphor. That leads into language 9which is a type of extended metaphor) and greatly increased theory of mind. These are present in other animals, but humans have taken them to extremes no other animal has.

In particular, our language abilities have allowed for greatly increased cultural transmission, even with generations separating the originator and the user. This underlies our technological development, for example.

Bear Wild

If you had bothered to watch the video of Robert Sapolsky, the expert in primatology (which you aren't) he states that the SHERE NUMBER of difference in amount of neurotransmitters we have and those chimps have create a QUALITATIVE difference in outcome.
I did watch the video and y
I did see the video but champanzees and humans have the same neurotransmitters although the total number of neurotransmitters is higher in humans it reflect the larger size in brain. As for the response to stimuli this is much more complex since in the case of dopamine we do not know how much this is related conditioning as children or true differences in response to stimuli.

The difference in DNA code between humans and chimpanzees is 1.2 percent. This amounts to about somewhere around 35 million base pair differences in our DNA. Of these differences most are in the immune system and other physical features with minimal differences in genes for the brain.

So what is the actual difference? Live microscopy shows that the progenitor cells forming the human cerebral cortex spend around 50% more time in metaphase compared to the same cells from chimpanzees and that these progenitor cells with a shorter metaphase as seen in chimps develop into neurons faster were as develop into neurons sooner while those with a prolonged metaphase state remain in a proliferating state longer and develop more neurons as seen in humans. The larger number of cortical neurons in humans relative to chimpanzees therefore is explained with this prolonged metaphase state of human neural stem and progenitor cells (NSPCs) during fetal development. The two principal classes of cells of the NSPCs are called apical progenitors (APs) and basal progenitors (BPs) associated with the two principal germinal zones, the ventricular zone (VZ) and the subventricular zone (SVZ). It has been found that the orientation of the mitotic spindle apical progenitor cells and basal progenitor cells may play the most important role in the difference of the prolonged metaphase and thus expanded number of neurons.

Given this small difference there is no reason to believe that another primate cannot achieve the same brain size. Also convergent evolution has shown us that there are other ways to achieve the same effect in time.

Bear Wild

I'm not saying that other primates might not also develop into beings with similar abilities, or other abilities that are equally amazing.

We share a lot with animals because we were once animals, and are still quasi-aniimals. It doesn't mean we aren't evolving into something else.
We are not quasi-animals. That makes no sense at all. We share far more with other animals than we are different. It was the arrogance of the past which stated that humans are different than animals. That argument has been but to rest with genetic comparisons. That same arrogance was used for an argument that some humans were superior to other humans. What they used for their argument was behavior differences. Savages could not possibly be the same as the culturally advanced societies. So do we really what behavior as the indicator. Who is really more advanced the bushmen who live in a harmony with their environment or most of the rest of us who are destroying the world we live in?