1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would this ad be received in your country?

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by lewisnotmiller, Mar 3, 2021.

1. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,314
    Religion:
    atheist
    So...
    First of all, I'm not 100% sure if people around the world can watch this, and it is actually an ad for the largest Australian telecommunications company (Telstra).

What I'm interested in is what sort of reaction (if any) an ad like this would get where you live.
    It goes for 61 seconds.

I'm not talking about with certain Church groups, though. My assumption is that there will be organised conservatives everywhere who would at least roll their eyes and see this as a negative.
    I mean more just how you think it would be generally received.
    Completely subjective, and completely anecdotal, I know.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. epronovost

epronovost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,493
    Religion:
    Atheist/non-religious
    It's a cute ad. In my country it would be received without special notice as there is nothing really shocking or groundbraking there, but it's well done.

• Like Like x 3
  3. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,532
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Overall accepted in the US, I believe. Sure, there will be a few who won't like it, but the vast majority won't blink an eye.

We had this episode of Arthur(a popular book/cartoon most of my generation grew up with, and is still actively airing)make waves awhile ago. A few kicked a stink, but as far as I understood, it was played most everywhere. I just happened to have PBS(public broadcasting) on that day...

4. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise

Ratings:
    +7,659
    Well SSM did win the popular vote here :shrug:

5. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,574
    Religion:
    none
    Meh.

6. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,172
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Focus on the Family, One Million Moms, fundamentalists, Evangelicals, there are many groups who would get seriously butt hurt over their snowflakey selves melting over it.
    Nobody else would care though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Estro Felino

Estro Felino Believer in free will
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,981
    Religion:
    Pelagianism
    There has already been a couple of similar ads.
    This is very nice, though.:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,820
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    Most people here aren't gay, and to me its a message. If your target audience is very interested in LGBT issues then it makes sense, but if your target audience is everyone then this commercial will not be so effective. It could get your product boycotted by some church groups, too. We have a lot of corporations here that make public statements of support for either LGBT marriage or rights or trans rights etc. This will be perceived as one more of those "We love gays" kinds of corporate shills. Likely it will get your product boycotted by some church groups, just as it has gotten some hardware stores and other retail outlets boycotted. That could work in your favor or against depending upon your target market.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +14,102
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    It's a commercial. Most are probably going to the bathroom, or in the kitchen making a sandwich.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. aketo

aketo Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Religion:
    None
    Most people wouldn't understand it in India IMO. Negative reactions as you said. Millenials and teens are more likely to be exposed to LGBT+ content, so they should be fine with it.
    There's a little bit more awareness about it since the last few years, some movies have been made with the theme for that purpose.
    Only a few months back I explained how it's normal to my family but there's still some stigma around it after being educated. Must be similar in others' cases.
    I don't have much of an idea about other households; it's not something that ever comes up, ever.

11. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +23,441
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It is not that different from this ad, it is hard to even see who the sponsor was in this one:

EDIT: Of course there was a bit of a backlash here. If you are curious you can read about one example, but it is really not worth your time:

'One Million Moms' Attacks Oreo Cookies for Beautiful Ad Celebrating Gay Kids with Loving Homes: WATCH

#11 Subduction Zone, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Silent Generation - so don't expect much
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,756
    Religion:
    Fellowship of the Mutable (agnostic atheist)
    Since I can't lip-read and I mute all adverts, I wouldn't know what was going on. :D Most here in the UK would hardly blink now, but obviously that wasn't the case even a few decades back. And the change has definitely been for the better.

13. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,691
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Fairly uncontroversial these days in the UK, though some people might not like it, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +5,403
    Religion:
    Buddhism
    I should expect no reaction from anyone educated after the Medieval period.

• Like Like x 1
  15. exchemist

exchemist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,691
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    That's rather ahistorical of you. Until the 1980s in Europe, such an ad would have caused widespread fury and disgust. It simply could not possibly have been screened.

This I think is something we all need to bear in mind. Culture does not move quite as fast as progressive urbanites might wish or expect. We can't expect homosexuality to be fully normalised in society for another generation at least. We ought, therefore, to have a bit of understanding towards those that don't move with the times as fast as we do.

When we refuse to take this into account, we get Trump.

#15 exchemist, Mar 4, 2021
  16. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +5,403
    Religion:
    Buddhism
    I agree, but I suppose I was making my point facetiously.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise

Ratings:
    +7,659
    Omg One Million Moms. Lmao are those guys seriously still around?
    I remember everyone pretty much mocking them when I was a kid and I ain’t even American

18. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,617
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me. I'm not familiar with the company in the OP advertisement, nor have I heard of any boycotts over this. It would be interesting to find out what impact this ad had on their sales, either in the positive or the negative - or if it had no effect at all.

I believe there were boycotts of Chik-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby due to being anti-gay, although it doesn't appear to have had much impact on their business. It's hard to say, though.

19. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,722
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Was a big surprise at 40 seconds watching. I expected a negative disrespectful response, and felt tension building up inside of me. But when the response came, and was so positive, I felt immediately relieve of the tension.

So much better if people do not judge feelings/faiths of others; just builds up tension/stress. I could really feel the difference in this 60 sec.

#19 stvdv, Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,469
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    In the U.S.A., I doubt a major cellular carrier would be ready to show this yet. Although we're not far away.