• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would this ad be received in your country?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So...
First of all, I'm not 100% sure if people around the world can watch this, and it is actually an ad for the largest Australian telecommunications company (Telstra).

What I'm interested in is what sort of reaction (if any) an ad like this would get where you live.
It goes for 61 seconds.

I'm not talking about with certain Church groups, though. My assumption is that there will be organised conservatives everywhere who would at least roll their eyes and see this as a negative.
I mean more just how you think it would be generally received.
Completely subjective, and completely anecdotal, I know.

I think it depends on the audience they are trying to reach and what exactly they are trying to sell.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So...
First of all, I'm not 100% sure if people around the world can watch this, and it is actually an ad for the largest Australian telecommunications company (Telstra).

What I'm interested in is what sort of reaction (if any) an ad like this would get where you live.
It goes for 61 seconds.

I'm not talking about with certain Church groups, though. My assumption is that there will be organised conservatives everywhere who would at least roll their eyes and see this as a negative.

We've had this type of ad for awhile now. It's heartwarming. As to the haters, yes, they'd probably react. But the vast majority wouldn't. Look at the popularity of Schitt's Creek. It won a lot of awards, with two main characters being gay.

I have hope for humanity, and the sooner the haters wake up to science, the better.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Which network carried Schitt's Creek?
A network show with its own focus audience is different than a major cellular corporation's commercial for universal consumption. A major cellular company does not want to alienate any segment.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So...

It goes for 61 seconds.

Honestly, gay stuff is in our face in the US from the media all the time. Especially drag queens being pushed on everyone as if they're the pinnacle of gay culture. It's all become freakish and irritating, so it least this had some normalcy to it. But honestly it's just a drop in a sea of these sorts of ads, so it likely wouldn't be especially noticed either way. We have had multiple ads like that or with married gay couples, in the US.

Orbit

I'm a planet
So...

It goes for 61 seconds.

Conservatives would lose their minds. The rest of society would applaud it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's on Netflix as far as I know. It's actually a Canadian show.
Thanks. It was on CBC, our national network, here. CBC carries a lot of great shows that are ahead of their times.

Edited ... Yes, I checked. It was on Netflix. I guess I'm not surprised one of your big 3 didn't pick it up, given the conservative nature there. CBC is particularly progressive. Our satire, for example, can get stronger than SNL.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Omg One Million Moms. Lmao are those guys seriously still around?
I remember everyone pretty much mocking them when I was a kid and I ain’t even American
They were never "here" in the first place. First off even when it comes to followers of Monica Cole she appears to be all that there is to the organization itself. No paid staff. No offices. Just one lone Mom trying to ride on the coatails of other One Million groups.

A Timeline of Everything That Outraged 'One Million Moms' This Year

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So...

It goes for 61 seconds.

Meh.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Omg One Million Moms. Lmao are those guys seriously still around?
I remember everyone pretty much mocking them when I was a kid and I ain’t even American
Unfortunately, yes. There was even a somewhat recent fiasco between then and I think it was Hallmark channel, because they did the unthinkable and sought to destroy the morals of society and ruin children by showing a gay couple in a commercial. Or something like that.
But, this is America. Here people are more enraged over a nipple shown on TV during their sacred game of football than what caused it to be exposed, are way more tolerant of violence in childrens and family programing than of nudity, and where a significant chunk of the 70 million who voted for Trump do believe such an advertisement with homosexuals will be damaging to children, will claim it's a part of social engineering, an attack on Christianity, and it's attempting to "force them" to accept something that is against their religion.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, yes. There was even a somewhat recent fiasco between then and I think it was Hallmark channel, because they did the unthinkable and sought to destroy the morals of society and ruin children by showing a gay couple in a commercial. Or something like that.
But, this is America. Here people are more enraged over a nipple shown on TV during their sacred game of football than what caused it to be exposed, are way more tolerant of violence in childrens and family programing than of nudity, and where a significant chunk of the 70 million who voted for Trump do believe such an advertisement with homosexuals will be damaging to children, will claim it's a part of social engineering, an attack on Christianity, and it's attempting to "force them" to accept something that is against their religion.
Oh yeah the Hallmark thing. I vaguely remember hearing about that on the news. Even the reporter seemed baffled lol

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me. I'm not familiar with the company in the OP advertisement, nor have I heard of any boycotts over this. It would be interesting to find out what impact this ad had on their sales, either in the positive or the negative - or if it had no effect at all.

I believe there were boycotts of Chik-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby due to being anti-gay, although it doesn't appear to have had much impact on their business. It's hard to say, though.
AFA Suspends Boycott Against Home Depot for Supporting Gay Activism; Claims Victory

There was a boycott of Home Depot, but this changed around the time that its owner stumped for Trump. I don't know all the details but am just presenting that link as evidence that the boycott happened.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Network Without a Paddle?
I had an acquaintance who altered it to 'up the proverbial estuary without suitable means of propulsion'. It took most people awhile to get it, including me, the first time. Funny guy.