• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How well do you know God?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How well do you, in your own words know God?
What I know about God is only through His Manifestations :)
I do not believe there is any other way to know about God.
What I believe I know are some of God's Attributes and God's Will for this age, but I can never know the Essence of God, God's intrinsic nature.

John1.12

Free gift
Thank you for that Barry.
Paul was respectful of their beliefs, but he reasoned with them.
Today, many are not sure what they worship, but they worship.
Yes he knew this:
30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

To know this and not warn others is such hatred .

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In an other thread i was asked if i knew God and if yes, how well? (my version of the question asked)
And i can say for sure i do not know Allah as well as i maybe could or should. But how about you?

I know Him very good. For instance, I know the main attribute of Him: His lack of existence.

Ciao

- viole

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
In an other thread i was asked if i knew God and if yes, how well? (my version of the question asked)
And i can say for sure i do not know Allah as well as i maybe could or should. But how about you?

I am of pretty much the same mind as you - I believe I know God to a certain extent - through my prayers and reflection on God, I have a certain feeling for Who God is. But I believe I must always try to better myself and keep trying to come closer to God. But I don't believe we can ever say we really know God, for God is ultimately, in Their Essence, Unfathomable.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I don't even know what a real god is.

And either no one else knows either, or there's a conspiracy to keep it a secret from me.

Neuropteron

Hi,
My thought on knowing God intimately revolves around knowing his name.
In the psalm it says: "I shall protect him because he has come to know my name".(Ps 91:14)

Someone that knows only a person by his designation, title or job description can hardly claim to know that person intimately, because the bible explains that there are many God's.
Thus when a person states I worship God, isn't the question: which God, appropriate?

This question is still relevant to worshipers of Allah, since it is not a personal name but means in English "God".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hi,
My thought on knowing God intimately revolves around knowing his name.
In the psalm it says: "I shall protect him because he has come to know my name".(Ps 91:14)

Someone that knows only a person by his designation, title or job description can hardly claim to know that person intimately, because the bible explains that there are many God's.
Thus when a person states I worship God, isn't the question: which God, appropriate?

This question is still relevant to worshipers of Allah, since it is not a personal name but means in English "God".
I like the way you think :)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

We are told that we cannot know God’s Essence but that we can know Him by His Attributes such as love, mercy, forgiveness, justice etc. The Quran mentions many of His attributes but we would not know anything about God if He didn’t send us His Prophets and Messengers.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Tough question. I guess it would be easier to answer if I knew exactly what people were pointing to when they say "God."

My monistic understanding of "God" is likely much different than that of dualists.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If we win the game, it's God's doing. If we lost the game, he had nuthin to do with it. He seems to have selective actions.

Not at all. When I was a child, I was not good in most sports, so I used to pray that someone else won.

God answered my prayers 100% of the time.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Tough question. I guess it would be easier to answer if I knew exactly what people were pointing to when they say "God."

My monistic understanding of "God" is likely much different than that of dualists.
If you answer from your own understanding of God or what God is to you, then how well would you say you know vs understand God?