• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert a Hindu

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
So what you say about the kids not knowing their own scriptures, the Upanishads, the Vedas, and so forth, this really isn't different that those here in the West whom these churches prey upon, selling anything from popular youth groups, to "name it and claim it" churches that preach if you have enough faith in God, He will reward you with that super-sized SUV and big home in the suburbs you dream of.

So are you equating introduction of Hindu scriptures with activities of Church?? Their is difference in increasing awareness and brainwashing. And I don't think it has any relation with large sized SUV. It is the most effective method stop the conversion, isn't it?? How can we accept a person to stand for his culture if he know nothing about it, he will simply move on. Also introducing kids to vedic scriptures will make them a better person. Today a major part of young generation is immoral and effected by alcohol, smoking and involved in many crimes. Many of them can't even bear little pain and choose suicide.

This is not spirituality, but a substitute for it with the name "God" attached to it, like some brand label, sanctioning it like calling some unhealthy food product "low fat", as though that makes the fact the sugar is it's number one ingredient. Calling it "religion" does not make it healthy spiritually.
Don't know much about Christianity but in Hinduism Introducing kids to their scriptures is definitely a way to connect them to spirituality. Earlier there were Gurukul for that. But after the destruction of Gurukul system not only Hindus but this country India saw worst.

vistascan

Learning Advaita
So are you equating introduction of Hindu scriptures with activities of Church?? Their is difference in increasing awareness and brainwashing. And I don't think it has any relation with large sized SUV. It is the most effective method stop the conversion, isn't it?? How can we accept a person to stand for his culture if he know nothing about it, he will simply move on. Also introducing kids to vedic scriptures will make them a better person. Today a major part of young generation is immoral and effected by alcohol, smoking and involved in many crimes. Many of them can't even bear little pain and choose suicide.

Don't know much about Christianity but in Hinduism Introducing kids to their scriptures is definitely a way to connect them to spirituality. Earlier there were Gurukul for that. But after the destruction of Gurukul system not only Hindus but this country India saw worst.

Do you not think that there is also a hidden Hinduism in these people? From what I have seen of my friends, they might not be observant or know about Shruti, but they call themselves Hindu and I doubt they will fall prey to easy conversion.

Also, do you think that once these people grow older, they will come back to Hinduism once the rebel phase is over? I had my rebel phase against Hinduism as well, but now I am certainly back.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So are you equating introduction of Hindu scriptures with activities of Church??
Oh goodness no! The way I worded that could be read incorrectly. What I meant was that like here, kids don't have the connection to their own heritage, or really anything about their religious traditions. Even so many of these kids in these churches just spout the rhetoric and have never really read or have knowledge of their scriptures themselves. My comparison is that this lack of knowledge, lack of roots, makes them vulnerable to be preyed upon in the same way as was being spoken about with the kids in India.

Their is difference in increasing awareness and brainwashing.
Absolutely. A lack of a good knowledge makes them vulnerable. I think the problem is people are looking for simple, easy, "just tell me what to believe", sorts of truths. The search for meaning on an individual level through spiritual practice and searching scriptures is anything but "easy answers". It's a growth process and is hard work. Consumerism is a substitute spirituality because it give the illusion of nutrition, like eating a high-sugar candy bar which makes you feel "full". It's an illusion, and appeals to those looking for quick and easy answers.

And I don't think it has any relation with large sized SUV. It is the most effective method stop the conversion, isn't it?? How can we accept a person to stand for his culture if he know nothing about it, he will simply move on.
But my point is that these churches here see what the mass consumers are interested in, selfish greed, and tries to market themselves to that. "You want Jesus because now you can get that big car you've always dreamed of!". I actually worked in technology at a financial firm helping these brokers who make millions of dollars a year, and are greedy, unpleasant people to work with, and many of them have a "Bible study" before work to be right with Jesus so they can make loads and loads of money that day. How foul is that?

So what I hear is that this same tactic to find an "in" to market their wares to is the same thing in any other culture. Find what the people want, and attach Jesus to it! Sell, sell, sell... and it's all good to them because it "serves God", they tell themselves. No, it serves themselves.

Also introducing kids to vedic scriptures will make them a better person.
I would certainly agree! Anything that opens us to the truly spiritual is good.

We have had a decline of Christianity in this country, and a replacement by this evangelical/consumerist style religion in its stead. In fact, the rise of fundamentalist to me is a symptom of this implosion of the mainstream. That's what is spreading itself like a virus to the world, not just India, but the African continent as well.

Personally, to me Hinduism has much to teach the world. Certainly its teaching are valuable to me.

Aum_425

Disciple
I'm standing up to the non-aggressive type as well, who use deceptive tactics like integrating Christ into Hinduism. In many ways that's far more dangerous to the breakdown of Indian Society just because it is so subtle.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you here.

How can integrating Christ, a being who promoted Love and forgiveness for all, be a bad thing. Maybe it is different for me, not being Indian, but I see no harm in it personally.

How is Krishna different than Jesus Christ?

Was it not Ramakrishna who told us that all paths are equal?

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you here.

How can integrating Christ, a being who promoted Love and forgiveness for all, be a bad thing. Maybe it is different for me, not being Indian, but I see no harm in it personally.

lol. Here we go again with this xD

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Haha. Sorry if it's been discussed before, which it sounds like it has.

:p

Well, I hear this argument a lot, that Krishna and Christ are the same. I know many Hindus take issue with it. It's not Jesus I take issue with, so much as it is his followers, though. And I just don't see what place Jesus has in Hinduism.

Namaskar.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Maybe it is different for me, not being Indian, but I see no harm in it personally.

I'm not Indian, but I've seen the confusion it has caused in individuals. East and west are just so very different, and generally mixing causes confusion, like orange juice curdling in milk. Nobody should be in the business of causing confusion.

The thing about Ramakrishna, and the radical universalists, and others like to quote that, was that his first samadhi was via Hinduism. And then and only then, after that first samadhi, did he explore other religions. So he was already at the mountaintop perspective when he took a look. And at that point everything indeed does appear to be the same. (Or so I'm told.) But what they forget to say is the path that got him to that point. And that path was pure unadulterated Hinduism.

But seriously, I think you should take a really good look at the religion of your birth. Maybe there is a place for you there, that you missed. There are many liberal sects within Christianity that would probably suit you just fine. We (traditional) Hindus don't need or want diluted versions. And to be honest, I've seen many a dabbler in eastern religions return to the birth religion, simply because they can't get rid of it. And many people I have known are very happy that they did just that.
:)

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Do you not think that there is also a hidden Hinduism in these people?
Their is no such thing called "hidden Hinduism".

From what I have seen of my friends, they might not be observant or know about Shruti, but they call themselves Hindu and I doubt they will fall prey to easy conversion.
A large number of people convert due to lack of knowledge of Hinduism.

Also, do you think that once these people grow older, they will come back to Hinduism once the rebel phase is over? I had my rebel phase against Hinduism as well, but now I am certainly back.
When person changes his/her faith. It's very hard to come back again. Because I don't think that 99% of those people who converted will read Hindu Scriptures.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Arya Samaj does have a reconversion program and has brought back entire villages en masse, bless them.
In many cases, its not a very real change of faith ... just for food, and then its on with village Hinduism when the guys who converted them aren't around.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Arya Samaj does have a reconversion program and has brought back entire villages en masse
Earlier Arya Samaj reconverted many but today's Arya Samaj is just busy in politics and they have no better work than to conduct marriage ceremonies. Mahendra Pal Arya is an Arya Samaji and one of the greatest scholar of Hinduism, he writes all this in his book "Manovyathaa".

In many cases, its not a very real change of faith ... just for food, and then its on with village Hinduism when the guys who converted them aren't around.
Yes but new generations of these christian will hardly accept hinduism again.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Earlier Arya Samaj reconverted many but today's Arya Samaj is just busy in politics and they have no better work than to conduct marriage ceremonies. Mahendra Pal Arya is an Arya Samaji and one of the greatest scholar of Hinduism, he writes all this in his book "Manovyathaa".

Certainly you would know better than me. :)

nameless

The Creator

The bad thing is that it is once sided, why dont these people integrate hindu gods/saints into their belief? also accept idol worship and polytheism and atheism as paths? IMO, they should change their own mindset and people of their own religion before attempting to change the people of other beliefs.

the same like krishna and jesus is different for christians.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The thing about Ramakrishna, and the radical universalists, and others like to quote that, was that his first samadhi was via Hinduism. And then and only then, after that first samadhi, did he explore other religions. So he was already at the mountaintop perspective when he took a look. And at that point everything indeed does appear to be the same. (Or so I'm told.) But what they forget to say is the path that got him to that point. And that path was pure unadulterated Hinduism.
Interestingly, I said this exact same thing back page three:

People all too often see their path up the side of the mountain as the only true path, that God approves of this path because they experience the moon shining on them as they walk along this path. What happens for a lot of people is they mistake the path for the moon itself, and when they see others on their paths they feel the need to get them over onto their path where they experience the light of the moon. They do so because that path 'over there' that others are on seems so foreign to them, they have not frame of reference to know that they too experience that same light as well. And so they send missionaries over to get them to "see the light". Whereas in reality, they are admitting to everyone that they are stuck in their limited perceptions of others, and not seeing it from the perspective of the moon.

Each path needs to be unique. They are worn up the side of the mountain for those people as they are because the terrain is unique to that region. To try to "merge" paths is in effect to take a bulldozer and level the ground, scaring the side of the mountain and destroying its natural features. As such, it's no longer someone's home. Its a wash, a sort of industrialized modernization of the natural landscape. That is what multiculturalism does.​
I'm not so certain that what some call "Universalism", isn't just a misunderstanding of what that perspective from the peak exposes. Do you feel any of those who see that same Light shining on all of those paths, teaches or espouses that the paths are not relevant? Or is that just what people here, not understanding how they can not stand up and preach that one path as the true path?

I hear this complain from Christians as well. As I have in my signature line, "Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain, but at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon". To say the path is not the moon, is not to say the path is unimportant.

Last edited:
Can't say as I see much of a difference between Hinduism circa 2013 and Christianity AD the same.

I guess what I'm saying is:

What are these people losing by leaving Hinduism, really?

What is Christianity gaining?

What is Hinduism losing?

And what is India gaining or losing?

Wannabe Yogi

No he did not say they are all equal. He said One should not think, "My religion alone is the right path and other religions are false." God can be realized by means of all paths. It is enough to have sincere yearning for God. Infinite are the paths and infinite the opinions.

He also disagreed with some ideas of different faiths. An example he did not like the Christian concept of sin.

He also said this.

"Someone gave me a book on Christianity. I asked him to read it out to me. It contained 'sin' and 'sin' alone. (To Keshab) Your Brahmo Samaj also speaks of 'sin' and 'sin' alone. One who constantly speaks, 'I am bound, I am bound,' that rascal really gets bound! He who repeats day and night, 'I am a sinner, I am a sinner,' does become a sinner.

"There should be such faith in the name of the Lord, 'I have chanted His name, shall I be a sinner still? What sin for me! What bondage for me!' Krishna Kishore is a pious Hindu, a brahmin who worships the Lord with single-minded devotion. Once he went to Vrindavan. One day while roaming about, he felt thirsty. He went to a well where he saw a man standing. He said to him, 'Brother, will you please give me a pot of water? Of what caste are you?' The man replied, 'Pundit ji, I belong to a low caste * a cobbler.' Krishna Kishore said, 'You say Shiva and now draw water for me.'

"By chanting the name of Bhagavan, the body and mind of man all become pure.

"Why talk of 'sin' and 'hell' alone? Just say but once, 'I shall not repeat the wrongs I have done,' and have faith in His name."

vistascan

Learning Advaita
Earlier Arya Samaj

Are you sure? My idea is that many people convert in name only and very much keep the Hindu ethos alive. If that is so, then their children will have the Hindu ethos too. I think you're mistaking labels for belief. Just because one is born a Hindu does not mean one knows the Vedas, similarly, one who has converted for food automatically does not inculcate the Christian ethos.

There was this recent report in Africa of a group of people who were promised sacks of rice in return for conversion. They converted, took the rice, and promptly went back to their indigenous lifestyle again.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Its sad, but its their scheme of mind.

They think they are making them avoid eternal torture, and that the enforcer God of such system is somehow "compassionate"

Condemn the doctrine, not the fear hostage fanatic :shrug:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Can't say as I see much of a difference between Hinduism circa 2013 and Christianity AD the same.

I guess what I'm saying is:

What are these people losing by leaving Hinduism, really?

What is Christianity gaining?

What is Hinduism losing?

And what is India gaining or losing?

They are losing a mindframe in which all the people they love will surely be happy for ever eventually,and gaining one that says that a lot of humanity will suffer for ever, but thats what God allows, so its bad but its kinda okay.

Its really really sad.