• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert a Hindu

Maya3

@Maya mostly: I like diversity. As a traditionalist, I still like diversity. Then each individual has more room to select what suits them best. If universalism is your choice, then that's fine. If it's Hindu universalism, fine. If a Christian-Hindu blend is your choice, then that's fine too. Straight traditional Islam is fine too, as long as violence against minorities isn't part of the equation, like the possible upcoming genocide in Bangladesh. I think most of humanity stand against such atrocities. At least I would hope so.

So it's freedom in the end. I know I've sounded harsh here some days, but actually it's defensive posturing just to save tradition, because I see the lights of tradition being extinguished. I don't believe I'm on the offensive, trying to convert others to my tradition. It's more of a "I will leave you alone, but please extend the same courtesy by you leaving me alone." Hopefully there is a future for both sets ...liberal and traditional.

Certainly universalism and syncretic combinations all have their place, but hopefully not at the expense of the traditionalists, in all faiths, not just SD. It is a free country, in most countries, after all.

Traditional Hinduism is not radical violent narrow-minded as some people would have you believe. It's just that it's what works for some people, and that includes me. When someone accuses me of missing out on something special, and wishing that I could change my mind, I see great irony in that.

I completely understand.
And I agree with you about that it should not be at the expense of tradition.
It should be because you truly feel connected to two or three or whatever it is, not because you are trying to make something seem lukewarm to draw more people in.

Maya

Freedomelf

You can't erase the mindset of the followers of some religions who believe that any underhanded practice is okay as long as it leads people to the (their) "truth." They are convinced that everyone except them is going to hell, and believe that by sneaking their religion onto you, they are saving you from a terrible fate. They cannot stop thinking that they are doing you a favor. Only when they get their heads out of their tiny mindset can they begin to cure themselves of this belief. The sad thing is that many die without ever learning that. :(

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You can't erase the mindset of the followers of some religions who believe that any underhanded practice is okay as long as it leads people to the (their) "truth." They are convinced that everyone except them is going to hell, and believe that by sneaking their religion onto you, they are saving you from a terrible fate. They cannot stop thinking that they are doing you a favor. Only when they get their heads out of their tiny mindset can they begin to cure themselves of this belief. The sad thing is that many die without ever learning that. :(

Thank you for that, and you hit the nail on the head. It's the underhanded deceitful tactics I object to, regardless of religion. If there are any doubts, I've confronted Hindus for using dubious tactics as well. Any faith that declares it doesn't proseltyse and then sticks to that is good by me.

Aum_425

Disciple
Thank you for that, and you hit the nail on the head. It's the underhanded deceitful tactics I object to, regardless of religion. If there are any doubts, I've confronted Hindus for using dubious tactics as well. Any faith that declares it doesn't proseltyse and then sticks to that is good by me.

No monopoly on Truth!:D

Me Myself

Back to my username

Which specific tactics are the ones you dont like?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Which specific tactics are the ones you dont like?

Using food or the promise of jobs.
Pretending you're Hindu when you're really a Christian.
Pretending you're a charity, when the main goal is conversion.
Dressing in the local garb just so you will be more well received.
Hitting upon people when they are ill or in distress, like at funerals.
Trading sex for conversion. (Don't laugh, it's well documented.)
Flirt to convert.
Using foreign money to bribe politicians who are pro-Christian.
Hitting on the lonely, like women whose husbands are working in Dubai or anywhere else overseas in all the temporary worker programs like here in Canada.

You know, that sort of thing.

I do believe, however, in ethical conversion. If the person wants to convert, TOTALLY ON THEIR OWN VOLITION, then they should be able to.

I remember one time here a long time back when ISKCON got out of their robes and wore business suits, and sold flowers outside of liquor stores, or at public events, saying they were an international charity. They did wear identifying name tags, so I was able to confront them.

Aum_425

Disciple
Not sure what you mean. Please explain. I fear you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

I don't think so, no. Proselytizing usually stems from a person, or group of people, convincing themselves that their path is correct while all others are false. When they have fallen firmly into this belief, proselytizing is one of many possible consequences.

Jai Maa!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think so, no. Proselytizing usually stems from a person, or group of people, convincing themselves that their path is correct while all others are false. When they have fallen firmly into this belief, proselytizing is one of many possible consequences.

Jai Maa!

I mean 'No monopoly on truth'. What did you mean by that? As Freedomelf so eloquently put it, it is their 'truth'. I believe all faiths have a place on the planet. I don't believe all faiths lead to the same 'truth'.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम

This happens a lot online. <_< Luckily, you can always tell (at least I can) who the fakes are.

Aum_425

Disciple
Monopoly-when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity (Wikipedia)

Truth - ...

"Monopoly on Truth" would imply that one: person, group of people, faith or group of faiths, possesses the only Truth or the only path to Truth

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Monopoly-when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity (Wikipedia)

Truth - ...

"Monopoly on Truth" would imply that one: person, group of people, faith or group of faiths, possesses the only Truth or the only path to Truth

Agreed, there is no monopoly on 'truth', but 'truth' varies from faith to faith. Hindus have a monopoly on Hindu truth, Christians have a monopoly on Christian truth etc. For example, Hindu truth is moksha as destiny after reincarnation. Christian truth is heaven or hell. Not knowing is agnostic 'truth' . Denying both is atheist 'truth'.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Using food or the promise of jobs.
Pretending you're a charity, when the main goal is conversion.
Dressing in the local garb just so you will be more well received.
Hitting upon people when they are ill or in distress, like at funerals.
Trading sex for conversion. (Don't laugh, it's well documented.)
Flirt to convert.
Using foreign money to bribe politicians who are pro-Christian.
Hitting on the lonely, like women whose husbands are working in Dubai or anywhere else overseas in all the temporary worker programs like here in Canada.

You know, that sort of thing.

I do believe, however, in ethical conversion. If the person wants to convert, TOTALLY ON THEIR OWN VOLITION, then they should be able to.

I remember one time here a long time back when ISKCON got out of their robes and wore business suits, and sold flowers outside of liquor stores, or at public events, saying they were an international charity. They did wear identifying name tags, so I was able to confront them.

When you say petend to be a charity I assume you mean are a charity but also want to convert.

I find that to be a good way to do it.

In any case, what I am truly against (besides some of the tactics you mentioned which were purposefully decietful) is that they teach people "this is the only way you can be saved! You must come here not because it is best for you but. Because it is THE ONLY WAY!" :eek:

And again, i cant really blame the missionaries for that part, given they actually believe it. But it does frustrate me when people let themselves be that stupid ! >.<

Its really sad when they think the prayers their parents and ancestors made for generations are worthless. :( .

That is what really saddens me. Not the welcoming of a new way of life, but the de-meaningfullization of all others you once cherriahed and love and the ones your loved ones family friends, etc, cherrish and love.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When you say petend to be a charity I assume you mean are a charity but also want to convert.

I

Not what I mean at all. I mean you are a missionary using charity as an in. The primary focus is missionary, and the charity part is just secondary.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Depends. Some do. Some don't. Besides, There are tons of international relief organisations not affiliated with any religion, and many have already set up the infrastructure where aid is needed. Why not just give the money to one of these? Like this: Oxfam International | Working together to find lasting solutions to poverty and injustice or this NBGA: Non-Believers Giving Aid Disaster Relief

I am just saying that charity might be one of the more reasonable ways to convert.

I mean, at least they are giving something usefull and not only crap (that they think its the most useful bit)

Maya3

In any case, what I am truly against (besides some of the tactics you mentioned which were purposefully decietful) is that they teach people "this is the only way you can be saved! You must come here not because it is best for you but. Because it is THE ONLY WAY!" :eek:

And again, i cant really blame the missionaries for that part, given they actually believe it. But it does frustrate me when people let themselves be that stupid ! >.<

Its really sad when they think the prayers their parents and ancestors made for generations are worthless. :( .

That is what really saddens me. Not the welcoming of a new way of life, but the de-meaningfullization of all others you once cherriahed and love and the ones your loved ones family friends, etc, cherrish and love.

That really gets to me too. It is heartbreaking.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am just saying that charity might be one of the more reasonable ways to convert.

If it actually came to that, I'd 'convert' too, but it wouldn't be real. I'd just fake it.:)

But it really should never come to that at all.

The guys who 'convert' the most are some of the drivers of India. (In India you can't rent a car ... well, you can, but it would not be wise at all.) The smarter drivers don't disclose their faith until the passenger does. So if the passenger is a Muslim, so is the driver. If the passenger is anti-religion, so is the driver. Those guys 'convert' about 100 times a year, maybe more. :) Totally understandable, considering you have mouths to fee.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If it actually came to that, I'd 'convert' too, but it wouldn't be real. I'd just fake it.:)

But it really should never come to that at all.

The guys who 'convert' the most are some of the drivers of India. (In India you can't rent a car ... well, you can, but it would not be wise at all.) The smarter drivers don't disclose their faith until the passenger does. So if the passenger is a Muslim, so is the driver. If the passenger is anti-religion, so is the driver. Those guys 'convert' about 100 times a year, maybe more. :) Totally understandable, considering you have mouths to fee.

Haha yeah I assume.

Though the charities I have in mind dont force conversion. Here in Guayaquil most charities are christian (then again, most people are). They wont force anyone to convert or ask if they believe in Jesus before offering to build a house.

You can go to the worst parts of the city and be not mugged or anytng if you go with a shirt of "Hogar de Cristo" because the muggers that live ere, dont want the volunteers to stop making their work.

I think its a nice way to show how your religion makes you feel and act :)