• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert a Hindu

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Islamic Scholars and heavily funded christian missionaries are converting thousands of Hindus daily. The future of Indian Hindus is dark if they do not wake up.

vistascan

Learning Advaita
It is good to see that many people in the comments section are aware of the agenda and are proud of Hinduism. However, far too many people leave Hinduism because of lack of knowledge. We need to make sure the new generation knows the richness of Hinduism and opposes these conversion attempts.

In this, we can learn from the Jews. Though they are a small community and have been systematically targeted as a group, but their unshakable conviction in their ways have helped them to survive and thrive. Scriptural education happens for nearly all Jewish children and they grow up with a stable and proud sense of their Jewish identity.

We need to incorporate these things, specially on the Web, since the new generation will be on the net more and more. It is sad that there are very few well designed and informative sites on Hinduism, we need to make professional looking sites and get young people involved.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
unethical, sneaky, against basic humanity, and arguably violent. One of the worst things that can happen to a family is if one member joins another faith and then turns on his own family. There are pockets that have woken up, but today it is a losing battle. Fortunately you can never rid the planet of SD because it lays coiled inside the soul of every single human on the planet.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is good to see that many people in the comments section are aware of the agenda and are proud of Hinduism. However, far too many people leave Hinduism because of lack of knowledge. We need to make sure the new generation knows the richness of Hinduism and opposes these conversion attempts.

In this, we can learn from the Jews. Though they are a small community and have been systematically targeted as a group, but their unshakable conviction in their ways have helped them to survive and thrive. Scriptural education happens for nearly all Jewish children and they grow up with a stable and proud sense of their Jewish identity.

We need to incorporate these things, specially on the Web, since the new generation will be on the net more and more. It is sad that there are very few well designed and informative sites on Hinduism, we need to make professional looking sites and get young people involved.

Although I commend any and all efforts, there are a couple of misconceptions in your post. One is that there is far more to religion than scriptural knowledge. I certainly agree that some basic knowledge needs to be there, like why we go to temples. Another is that 90% at least of Hindus don't have access to the web.

But i also think we should approach the Christian and Muslim missionaries directly and let them know how wrong it is, just for humanity. Many Christians in the west, for example, don't actually know how evangelical it is on the ground in India, and are often appalled when they here of these deceptive tactics.

vistascan

Learning Advaita
Although I commend any and all efforts, there are a couple of misconceptions in your post. One is that there is far more to religion than scriptural knowledge. I certainly agree that some basic knowledge needs to be there, like why we go to temples. Another is that 90% at least of Hindus don't have access to the web.

But i also think we should approach the Christian and Muslim missionaries directly and let them know how wrong it is, just for humanity. Many Christians in the west, for example, don't actually know how evangelical it is on the ground in India, and are often appalled when they here of these deceptive tactics.

I agree regarding scriptural knowledge, but from what I've learned from my conversations with Jews (they don't evangelise, btw) is that their whole life is based around Judaism, much like traditional Hindus.

The internet part is true, and they usually target the poor and lower caste, so we need reform, or just a revert to a Vedic vision. Sadly India allows evangelism, so what they are doing looks immoral but legal.

However, do you think that institutions like the Asra Vidya Gurukulam and political parties like BJP and RSS are doing anything to spread Hinduism?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
However, do you think that institutions like the Asra Vidya Gurukulam and political parties like BJP and RSS are doing anything to spread Hinduism?

Yes, many institutions try to combat it. Dayananda Saraswati, the head of Asra Vidya Gurukulam wrote a fairly scathing report. Hinduism Today, the magazine, tackles it from time to time. The biggest problem, as I see it, is we're outgunned by money, and the lack of action by government. (Unfortunately, not to be too cynical, but I believe money talks there, too.)
A Hindu general strike nation-wide might be what's needed.

Maya3

It's full of hubris and is rude and really terrible.

Still I'm fascinated that they can be so terribly convinced. Don't they notice what Hinduism is about when they read about it (so that they know how to convert us?)? And then can't they see that Hinduism is great by itself and we don't need saving?
I don't get it, I really don't.

I got something in the mail just the other day and I was going to post about it. A whole paperback book called: "The Great Controversy." It's all about "the truth" of the Bible.
And there is a website attached to it called Amazing Facts - Christian Media Ministry
I called them so that we could be taken off the mailing list, but the man I spoke to said that we are not in their system. They are also a publishing company and someone must have bought these books from them and then sent them to us from somewhere local.
But it was addressed to my husband and had a printed sticker on it with the amazing fact organizations name.
It's annoying, and a waste of a whole lot of trees.

Maya

vistascan

Learning Advaita
Yes, many institutions try to combat it. Dayananda Saraswati, the head of Asra Vidya Gurukulam wrote a fairly scathing report. Hinduism Today, the magazine, tackles it from time to time. The biggest problem, as I see it, is we're outgunned by money, and the lack of action by government. (Unfortunately, not to be too cynical, but I believe money talks there, too.)
A Hindu general strike nation-wide might be what's needed.

Though I too am cynical, yet I also have hope. Whenever Hinduism has been under threat, someone has risen to the challenge. I'm thinking of Adi Shankaracharya during the Buddhist era, and Swami Vivekananda and others during the colonial era. But we must also educate ourselves instead of waiting for a savior.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't get it, I really don't.

I do. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. It's a core belief. Not in all circles, but in many. To try your very best to convert all the planet to Christianity is just a core belief, like reincarnation is a core belief to us. We don't 'get it' as you say, because we're Hindus.

In a way we should be grateful that it doesn't involve the sword like it use to.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I came to evangelize you in this thread.

I get the joke now. :)

But this whole thing called friendship evangelism is very subtle. For all I really know about you the above statement may very well be true. In my case it definitely won't work because I'm very wary, besides very confident in my faith.

There used to be more instruction brochures on how to convert but since we started exposing them, they have largely gone underground. I have no doubt they still exist, just better hidden.

Other simpler instructions ..
1) Make friends with them.
2) Learn the language!
3) Do cultural things like wear saris, and learn to cook local food.
4) Wear bindus.
5) Offer food, clothing.
6) Go after lonely housewives when the men are at work. Offer tea. Chat. (This is very in vogue right now.)
7) Go after the children. They're more responsive. (gullible)
8) Know your Hindu scriptures. Find common ground between biblical verses and theirs.

... and the list goes on. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
and you illustrated the point very well .... this is exactly the kind of things that Christians do to get an 'in' ... Thanks but no thanks. For fellow Hindus reading ... ISPCK stands for Indian Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge ... Beware the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I get the joke now. :)

~~~Sigh of relief~~~~~

Was thinking,

'Man, I hope he knows me well enough to know I'm not LORDING any Lord over his.'

waka-waka!!! honk honk!!!

But this whole thing called friendship evangelism is very subtle. For all I really know about you the above statement may very well be true. In my case it definitely won't work because I'm very wary, besides very confident in my faith.

But then, maybe you weren't sure... so for that I am sorry.

To be clear, I do NOT like evangelism. At All.

I don't mind sharing with people what things have helped make my life what it is.
But that is with anything, not just religion, so for that reason I don't consider myself to be evangelizing at all.

I repeat, I am not trying to convert you or anyone....

Hell... I'm not even sure I'm a Christian to most people's rending so.

My Christianity looks a lot more like a Dharma religion on paper.

I feel that is what is at the core of my practice once you really boil it down..
I'd say it's the building blocks of my foundation to all this religious-ery.

I put Christianity out to pasture and found the experience of the Divine, from the way I knew it when I was a child, before I was told what God was, in the Upanishads and in Advaita.

This came from immersing myself in Buddhism, but not finding the Divine, or safety to express it, perhaps.
Then in reading about Jonang, really, I think I've found the Divine in Buddhism too.

But anyway.... I leave it at those mentions for now....

You might know this about me, safe to say, I draw from many inspirational sources, that I feel, point me to The Source.

So if I AM trying to evangelize.... it's to my heathen Universalism (Mu-haha!!!)

No, really.... see I'm joking again.

I have Love man.... that is truly all I'm REALLY pushing.
So cheers and no worries about me, Brother.

There used to be more instruction brochures on how to convert but since we started exposing them, they have largely gone underground. I have no doubt they still exist, just better hidden.

2) Learn the language!
4) Wear bindus.
5) Offer food, clothing.
6) Go after lonely housewives when the men are at work. Offer tea. Chat. (This is very in vogue right now.)
8) Know your Hindu scriptures. Find common ground between biblical verses and theirs.

That is truly sad.

I'm sure people think they are helping.... but it's still pretty sickening stuff.
and Highly disrespectful.

I remember a guy who I met in Istanbul, who was going to Kazakhstan 'To convert Muslims'. I asked him what he knew about Islam.
He confessed that it was 'nothing' that he knew.

OK... so maybe that day I sounded like a Muslim Evangelist!

But his visit there was changed for sure, I've kept in touch.
He saw the light alright, boy! ;)

HAHAHA

But reading that list, Bro... I can see why I look like these people... at least in strategy.

But believe me man, my mixing up, of the mix is just me being me.

I'm not Christian-soldering under my long hair, sutra reading, veggie munchin' exterior.

:namaste

I hope that I've explained myself to you a little, and perhaps that you've gotten to know me better, man.

SageTree

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
2) Learn the language!
4) Wear bindus.
5) Offer food, clothing.

9) change the name of your Christian monastery to a Hindu sounding name
10) add a Hindu name to your own
11) Wear the robes and colors of a Hindu sannyasin
12)

For anyone still doubting, here is a useful link ... http://www.bharatvani.org/books/ca/ch15.htm

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have to say that this sort of trying to find an inroad through "befriending" someone is the most offensive, disrespectful, insincere, conniving, lying, and utterly unspiritual thing someone claiming to love God could ever show to his fellow human beings. It is lying to them abusing their trust to sell them some product, because they believe they get brownie points from God, another notch in the Bible belt as a "soul winner". It is narcissistic and foul in the extreme.

The reason you hear me rail against this is because in my naive and gullible youth, trying and hoping to please God according the image their sold to their flocks, the Christian group I was part of encouraged all of us to be "soul winners", telling us their would be "crowns laid up for us in heaven", and such self-serving goals, and then fed us such garbage as this in how to find inroads into discussions to "spread the word of the Lord".

Fortunately I grew up because I realized just how deeply not-spiritual at all this was. In fact it was contrary to the message of Jesus. It was contrary to acting in love. It was about them, not about the other person. It was not about being helpful, it was about being "right", and doing something for personal reward up in heaven, a big "job well done" from the Almighty patting you on the head like some good little boy. How utterly immature.

Enough of this. Frankly, the Christians I've known like this could learn a great deal about humility and grace from all the other religions they think they are better than somehow.

Last edited: