• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should the Grand Lady of Paris, France be rebuilt?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Or it smacks of the thoughts of Renaissance and Baroque Italian architects who saw the Gothic as "Germanic and barbarous".

Italians, even Catholics, frown upon Gothic architecture. I don't know why the French even embraced it historically.

I find the Romanesque even more eye-pleasing with it's tall rounded, castle-turret-like towers and rounded arches.

The St. Peter's Basilica of the Vatican in Rome is much more bright and cheery: a rival of the Classical of Roman and Greek antiquity.

From the Renaissance through the Enlightenment, much of Gothic architecture was phased out and western European cathedrals were replaced or some Gothic buildings were given a facelift to reflect newer ages.
When your cathedral burns down, rebuild it how you like.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
With most of the funding coming from the Church. Billionaires donating is great and everything but the Church should really pay at least half.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it's going to be remade, I think it should follow the original in aesthetic as far as feasible. It will take a very long time until it's done though.
I agree.
But some modern structures are also pleasing to the eye.
article-2287782-186D1CF7000005DC-229_634x499.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Should Notre Dame be restored with true faith to the original?

Should steel beams replace the original timbers?

Should this cold, dark medieval Gothic monstrosity be leveled altogether and replaced with something more enlightened in architecture in the form of the Renaissance as St. Peter's Basilica, The Queen of Catholic Churches? How about beautiful, white light and cheerful Baroque architecture as St. Stephen's Cathedral in Passau, Lower Bavaria, Germany designed, decorated and painted with frescoes by three collective Baroque Period Italians and also housing the largest pipe organ in Europe?

St. Stephen's Cathedral, Passau - Wikipedia

How about staying as faithfully as possible to how it was designed!

Notre Dame boasts 850+ years of history, a history that has developed throughout that 850 years. It bares scars of war and revolution and time. What new build has them?

It might be that steel beams will need be used, although there are plenty of forests in france there is no primal forests and so no wood big enough for the beams.
However, Canada has offered a supply of suitable wood but conservation measures should also be taken into account. 1000 year old trees are not for felling.

You also need to take in to account tourism. There are around 13 million visitors to Notre Dame each year, thats a lot of tourist income for paris in general. A new build would decimate that income, who wants to travel thousands of miles to see a new concrete block.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It will be restored wood timbers as original with reinforcing. I support the restoration for historical reasons not religious.

Suitable wood is not available in europe, .it is in canada ans russia but i understand that felling primal forest is s no, no.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Exceptions can be made for a good cause.
Do not surrender to structural steel !!!!

But engineered lumber could be just fine.

Wood would be superior but as yet it is an unknown. The french govt have asked architects (worldwide) to offer their solutions. Only time will tell.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I agree.
But some modern structures are also pleasing to the eye.
article-2287782-186D1CF7000005DC-229_634x499.jpg

This modern Church structure is not only very beautiful, but might also be less of a fire hazard than a traditional cathedral.

This Church in Tampa has been mocked for looking like a chicken, but I think it looks delicious.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member

Should this cold, dark medieval Gothic monstrosity be leveled altogether and replaced with something more enlightened in architecture in the form of the Renaissance as St. Peter's Basilica, The Queen of Catholic Churches? How about beautiful, white light and cheerful Baroque architecture as St. Stephen's Cathedral in Passau, Lower Bavaria, Germany designed, decorated and painted with frescoes by three collective Baroque Period Italians and also housing the largest pipe organ in Europe?

Keeping in the spirit of the post...the Chinese newspaper building.
dezeen_China-newspaper-headquarters-resembles-huge-penis_1a (1).jpg

Or the quatar stadium which actually I seem to like more but not very Catholic.
Al-Wakrah-stadium-011.jpg