• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Should I Keep the Sabbath?

rosends

Why don't you explain what God really meant when He commanded even, "thy stranger that is within thy gates" ???? I show you where you err.... So,, why not explain my error and tell me what God really meant,, seeings how you are an expert in hebrew & probable the greek as well ????? lol I will tell you up front,, you have no answer,,,, Because if you did,, you would have posted it and shown me up. But instead,, you couldn't address the issue. lol
Actually, it was already discussed on another thread. The Hebrew word "ger" means "sojourner" and is used to discuss a convert or a temporary resident. "Zar" is stranger. Converts are bound to the laws as are temporary sojourners (to certain laws) who take the title "ger toshav." Look it up. If it would be easier, i can post the Hebrew for you.

I am no expert in Greek. Good thing I don't have to be to understand the bible. Hebrew and Aramaic suffice.

So,, the truth comes out!!!! You are a Bible rejector!!! lol I figured as much. lol
Nope, I only reject the gospels and other Christian books, not the bible. You reject the bible. That much has been obvious for a while.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In all my life,, I have never met anybody as confused as you are right now. You are silly if you think that Saturday can run into Sunday and overlap. This concept has NEVER been heard of. Absolute ignorance on your behalf. You can claim I'm insulting you,, I don't care,,, I've never seen such ignorance in probably 30 years.

How is that you think that the days overlap each other?... wow,, And to claim that I keep Sunday half a year? I can't remember when I witnessed such rampant ignorance.

Lol.

Think about this again please (and show compassion)

I. I take medication at 10 every day; so, I take it on Satudays as well.

2. When Leap year comes and the time springs forward if sat evening,I am no longer taking medication on Saturday, I am taking it on Sunday because I set the time 2 hours ahead; assuming that day light saving ia between 10pm and 12am.

3. So, until fall, if time is set back between 12am and back two hours, Im taking my medication now on Saturday again.

4.Since man not god and not the Earth made up the words Sat ane Sunday, this is why taking my medications on one day or the next can change.

5.If there were no such thing as Sat and Sun (which according to the Earth, these words dont exist) then my example does not make sense.

6. Since there is, why are you telling me that if there is can not be a leap year between 10 and 12 and the clock springs forward, that we "gained" two hours by going into the next day to make Sun come sooner?

7. Dont you see that my taking medication rolls onto Sunday because I l gained two hours

Are you in an area where there is DLS?

Not all countries observe it. (There is no point in time when Sun. comes sooner in the spring if DLS hits after 10pm sat.)

Dont call me ignorant. Thats unbecoming of a (christian?).

The Sabbath was first made the Isrealites to observe.

http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Sabbath,-In-Ot

Then, in the NT, (which Jews dont see sacred, so it meaningless to quote it; use the OT to quote, thats part of your bible too you know) Jesus didnt want the Jews to put their old traditions (one of which is actual celebration of Sabbath) over god, the father.

"Man is not made for the Sabbath not sabbath made for man"

Why would even assume jews dont observe the sabbath because of god not themselves. Christians are NOT special.

Last edited:

rosends

@Mr. Beebe

Another thing, Beebe. Why are you quoting the NT to proove your point to Rosend? He doesnt observe the NT. It is a waste of time.

Quote from the OT to make your points.

Read my last post.

Do NOT insult me.
The beauty of it is twofold:
1. He doesn't see that he is operating through a particular lens and that his insistence that it is an objective truth binding on all only can be made once he is operating from within that context

and

2. It is easy to make the equal but opposite claims against him (he surely denies the religious tracts of other religions) and stand as dogmatically on the platform of "if you reject you are wrong because mine is right" and those claims are, logically, just as valid.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The beauty of it is twofold:
1. He doesn't see that he is operating through a particular lens and that his insistence that it is an objective truth binding on all only can be made once he is operating from within that context

and

2. It is easy to make the equal but opposite claims against him (he surely denies the religious tracts of other religions) and stand as dogmatically on the platform of "if you reject you are wrong because mine is right" and those claims are, logically, just as valid.

That is so sad. Why replay history.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why don't you [rosends] explain what God really meant when He commanded even, "thy stranger that is within thy gates" ???? I show you where you err.... So,, why not explain my error and tell me what God really meant...
Wow, look at you-- a self-proclaimed prophet that supposedly knows what God really meant.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Mr. Beebe

The Sabbath was made for the Jews until Jesus came to the scene and your Christ (a Jew) extended the Sabbath to be observed by gentiles (well, more pronounced in Acts).

For example:

The Bible says the Sabbath was made for man,, and not man for the Sabbath. Nowhere does the Bible say that the Sabbath was made exclusively for the Jew.

First, you are denying that the Bible focused on the Jews before the NT. The first five books of your bible is for Both You and the Jews. Let me correct myself. It was first made for the Jews. A jew does not recogize the other books of the bible. So, the Sabbath foe gentiles in Acts does not mean anything in belief because Acts is not part pf the Torah.

You are arguing from the wrong section of your bible, dude.

@rosends where there gentiles in the Torah?

Last edited:

Mr. Beebe

First, you are denying that the Bible focused on the Jews before the NT.

Not at all. My point is that God has always intended that His Salvation be for the entire human race. The plan was that the Jewish nation was to break the bread of Salvation to the world. They failed to do this over and over, until finally they rejected Jesus and sealed their fate as God's Chosen People. As Christ told them,,,"See, your house is left to you desolate." Matthew 23:38. This is something you need to understand, God made the Sabbath 2500 years before the Jew nation even existed. So,, there were no "jews" in the days of Adam!

The first five books of your bible is for Both You and the Jews. Let me correct myself. It was first made for the Jews. A jew does not recogize the other books of the bible.

So,, are you now going on the record and making the claim that the Jew rejects all the Prophets of the Old Testament,,,,Jeremiah,,Isaiah,,Daniel, Ezekiel, Samuel????? This is sad.

The world is made up of all sorts of crackpots.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im not a Wiki person so @rosends or another practicing jew would have to confirm. One way to learn about the Torah and jews in it is to ask a jew not a christian.

The Jews, which include the tribes of Judah, Simeon, Benjamin and partially Levi, are named after the southern Israelite Kingdom of Judah. The word "Jews" is found in Kings (16:6), Chronicles (I, 4:18), and in numerous passages in Jeremiah, Zechariah and the book of Esther.
(Bold is not mine)

Not at all. My point is that God has always intended that His Salvation be for the entire human race. The plan was that the Jewish nation was to break the bread of Salvation to the world. They failed to do this over and over, until finally they rejected Jesus and sealed their fate as God's Chosen People. As Christ told them,,,"See, your house is left to you desolate." Matthew 23:38. This is something you need to understand, God made the Sabbath 2500 years before the Jew nation even existed. So,, there were no "jews" in the days of Adam!

So,, are you now going on the record and making the claim that the Jew rejects all the Prophets of the Old Testament,,,,Jeremiah,,Isaiah,,Daniel, Ezekiel, Samuel????? This is sad.

The world is made up of all sorts of crackpots.

The word is made up of Buddhas. We are all pure at heart. We do stupid things because of all the mess we create fighting with each oher (as I see here) instead of showing compassion.

OH ALSO

The Sabbath was made for the Jews until Jesus came to the scene and your Christ (a Jew) extended the Sabbath to be observed by gentiles (well, more pronounced in Acts).

If Jesus was a jew and there are no jews in the old testament, how can Jesus be a Jew?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Im not a Wiki person so @rosends or another practicing jew would have to confirm. One way to learn about the Torah and jews in it is to ask a jew not a christian......

If Jesus was a jew and there are no jews in the old testament, how can Jesus be a Jew?

Carlita,

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. In this case, Mr. Beebe is correct that Jewish scripture, the Tanakh, is comprised of the Torah, the Prophets and the Writings. As for his allusion regarding the creation of Shabbat he was referring to the creation story at which time, true enough, there were no Jews.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Carlita,

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. In this case, Mr. Beebe is correct that Jewish scripture, the Tanakh, is comprised of the Torah, the Prophets and the Writings. As for his allusion regarding the creation of Shabbat he was referring to the creation story at which time, true enough, there were no Jews.

When did the jews came about? Where they the first people? What is Adam and Eve nationality or ethnicity?

Id think everything started off with the jews. Id also assume because jesus is a jew and according to NT, his geneology went back to Abraham that according to christianity (which Beebe is a christian), his whole geneology was jewish.

From a christian view.

From a jewish view, Id think jews are gods first people?
(Edit: before they were "called" jews)

Last edited:

Mr. Beebe

Carlita,, I could answer those questions.....But,,, you won't believe anything I say..... So,,,,I'm heading to other fields where the ground is more favorable.

rosends

[QUOTE="Carlita, post: 4549969, member: 55631
@rosends where there gentiles in the Torah?[/QUOTE]
"Gentiles" indicates that there were "Jews." The word "Jew" is an anglicized version of "Yehudi" meaning "of Judah." After Solomon's time there was a split in the nation and 2 nations battled -- the nation of Israel (about 10 tribes) and the kingdom of Judah (about 2 tribes). The Nation of Israel was exiled and lost so what remained was the kingdom of Judah (in Hebrew, Yehudah). Jews now are the descendants of that Kingdom (plus converts). So before that time, there was no Kingdom of Judah, so no one called "Jews." However, the kingdom, as made from 2+ of the tribes, is continuing the practices, beliefs, tenets and textual traditions of the biblical Children of Israel. In the texts, there were plenty of people who were not of the 12 tribes so you could call them (retroactively, I guess) "Gentiles."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
[QUOTE="Carlita, post: 4549969, member: 55631
@rosends where there gentiles in the Torah?
"Gentiles" indicates that there were "Jews." The word "Jew" is an anglicized version of "Yehudi" meaning "of Judah." After Solomon's time there was a split in the nation and 2 nations battled -- the nation of Israel (about 10 tribes) and the kingdom of Judah (about 2 tribes). The Nation of Israel was exiled and lost so what remained was the kingdom of Judah (in Hebrew, Yehudah). Jews now are the descendants of that Kingdom (plus converts). So before that time, there was no Kingdom of Judah, so no one called "Jews." However, the kingdom, as made from 2+ of the tribes, is continuing the practices, beliefs, tenets and textual traditions of the biblical Children of Israel. In the texts, there were plenty of people who were not of the 12 tribes so you could call them (retroactively, I guess) "Gentiles."[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Interesting. I learned something new. When I read up to Joshua, I was thinking the Isrealites where the Jews and god's chosen people. I didnt get to read past Joshua; so, I didnt read about Solomn.

So the jews are left of all twelve tribes?

rosends

"Gentiles" indicates that there were "Jews." The word "Jew" is an anglicized version of "Yehudi" meaning "of Judah." After Solomon's time there was a split in the nation and 2 nations battled -- the nation of Israel (about 10 tribes) and the kingdom of Judah (about 2 tribes). The Nation of Israel was exiled and lost so what remained was the kingdom of Judah (in Hebrew, Yehudah). Jews now are the descendants of that Kingdom (plus converts). So before that time, there was no Kingdom of Judah, so no one called "Jews." However, the kingdom, as made from 2+ of the tribes, is continuing the practices, beliefs, tenets and textual traditions of the biblical Children of Israel. In the texts, there were plenty of people who were not of the 12 tribes so you could call them (retroactively, I guess) "Gentiles."

Hmm. Interesting. I learned something new. When I read up to Joshua, I was thinking the Isrealites where the Jews and god's chosen people. I didnt get to read past Joshua; so, I didnt read about Solomn.

So the jews are left of all twelve tribes?[/QUOTE]
The kingdom of Judah was primarily made up of Judah and Benjamin, plus some from Levi but there were a few among them who had moved from the other kingdom so from the other tribes. In general we say that the 2+ tribes composed Judah and the exiled ones are the "10 lost tribes".

glori

[QUOTE="Mr. Beebe, post: 4547433, member: 58861"

Colossians 2:14-17 refers only to the sabbaths which were, "a shadow of things to come", and not the 7th day Sabbath of the Decalogue. There were seven yearly holy day, or holidays in ancient Israel that were also sabbaths. These were in addition to the 7th day Sabbath. See Leviticus 23:38. Those are the "sabbaths" that were abolished. They all foreshadowed, or pointed to, the cross and ended at the cross. The seven yearly sabbaths that were abolished are listed in Leviticus chapter 23.

.[/QUOTE]

Concerning Col.2.17 "Which are a shadow of things to come, but the body is Christ"; For the record, the stipulations he is referring to in verse 16 are exclusive to the Hebrew calendar, the same calendar that Paul kept. Did he practice what he preached? Or has he been misunderstood by the masses?

Concerning that SHADOW of which the body that casts it is Christ, Isa.32.2 "And a man shall be as a hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest, a river of water in a dry place, as THE SHADOW OF A GREAT ROCK in a weary land", who would deny that is prophesying Jesus Christ? Isa.30.1-2 "Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me, and cover with a covering, but not of my Spirit(Jn.6.63 "The Words I speak unto you, THEY are Spirit, and they are life") that they may add sin to sin, that walk to go down unto Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth, to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in THE SHADOW OF EGYPT". Every facet of the common calendar originated in Egypt, so whose shadow does the common calendar cast?

Isa.66.23-24 shows two kinds in the "new heavens and the new earth: one "and it shall come to pass that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD", That will, according to Zech 14.16-18 included the Feast of Tabernacles; and Isa.66. 24 in agreement with Mark 9.43-48 only leaves "the worm that dieth not, and the fire is not quenched" Keep in mind Matt.7.14-21-23

Mr. Beebe

Did he practice what he preached? Or has he been misunderstood by the masses? I

Paul kept the Commandments of God. Even today, men twist Paul's words,,take him out of context, and falsely accuse Paul of many things. Paul taught that men were obey God and keep His Commandments ( 1 Corinthians 7:19). And the Bible also gives us many, examples (over 80) of Paul and the early church observing the 7th day Sabbath in the Book of Acts.

only leaves "the worm that dieth not, and the fire is not quenched" Keep in mind Matt.7.14-21-23

Not sure what your point is,, so,, I will reserve comment until I get clarification.

glori

Paul kept the Commandments of God. Even today, men twist Paul's words,,take him out of context, and falsely accuse Paul of many things. Paul taught that men were obey God and keep His Commandments ( 1 Corinthians 7:19). And the Bible also gives us many, examples (over 80) of Paul and the early church observing the 7th day Sabbath in the Book of Acts.

Not sure what your point is,, so,, I will reserve comment until I get clarification.

Mr.Beebe, all the original feasts were kept by the Apostles, and none of the holidays that are kept today were kept, and that goes beyond the weekly Sabbath. That is the same point about "the worm that dieth not", All the original Sabbaths will be kept when "the kingdoms of this world become the kingdoms of our Lord and his Christ", those that do not keep them , Zech.14.14-17 tells us that no rain will fall on them,and they will wither and die, Isa.66.23-24 lists those that come to worship from one new moon to the other, and from one Sabbath to another, and they will look on those whose "worm dieth not and their fire is not quenched" There isn't any neutral people in between those two. So make the evaluation yourself, as Jesus said, recorded in Matt.16.19 "-- whatsoever thou shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven--" Given that, is it wise to defend and cling to things that will be done away with in God's kingdom?

Last edited:

Mr. Beebe

"worm dieth not and their fire is not quenched"

I once gave a presentation on the Lord's Feast of Tabernacles. But,, I think that you may be confused on the state of the dead and your belief on what happens to the wicked in the future. So,, if you don't mind, could you address the questions below, so that I can better understand your position?

The word "quench". What do you think that word actually means? If your house was on fire and the fire could not be "quenched",, do you believe that means your house will keep burning without ever going out?

Do you believe that the wages of sin are eternal life in some eternal fire?

What is your definition of "eternal fire"?

What is your definition of a "Soul"?

do you believe the Soul is Immortal?

glori

I once gave a presentation on the Lord's Feast of Tabernacles. But,, I think that you may be confused on the state of the dead and your belief on what happens to the wicked in the future. So,, if you don't mind, could you address the questions below, so that I can better understand your position?

The word "quench". What do you think that word actually means? If your house was on fire and the fire could not be "quenched",, do you believe that means your house will keep burning without ever going out?

Do you believe that the wages of sin are eternal life in some eternal fire?

What is your definition of "eternal fire"?

What is your definition of a "Soul"?

do you believe the Soul is Immortal?

I would like you to answer those questions, first, if you are willing.