• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Should I Keep the Sabbath?

I do light house work on the Sabbath. I don't believe this is breaking the fourth commandment. What do you do on the Sabbath and what is lawful and unlawful? Thanks.

lostwanderingsoul

I think a bigger question is WHEN do you keep the Sabbath? God said that the seventh day is holy because He rested from His work of creation. Most churches say that the new Sabbath is Sunday because Christ rose from the dead on Sunday. Why would something Christ did change something God said thousands of years before? First decide what day you should be keeping and then you can decide how to keep it. The commandment just says to REMEMBER the Sabbath. It does not say what work you can or cannot do. But if you are remembering the wrong day then you are breaking the commandment.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
The Kingdom-- and everything about it!!!-- is within you. To look elsewhere for an answer to this question is unfaithful, and also unlawful.

Not answering the question directly, I would nevertheless offer this advice: make the acknowledgment of doubt a constant mantra throughout your daily life. Such discipline requires prayer without ceasing; but it's well worth it, as doubt is the scream of conscience. Doubt doesn't necessarily signal disaster, but it always signals loss; for whatsoever is not of faith is error. Grace see us through, but seeking in-time guidance about doubt avoids many hard lessons.

Be well.

b.

Last edited:

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
I do light house work on the Sabbath. I don't believe this is breaking the fourth commandment. What do you do on the Sabbath and what is lawful and unlawful? Thanks.

We Hebrews still bicker somewhat with our various sects over this conundrum ...
many "works" are picked at, travel, fire lighting, crop picking, trading.
and in this modern era it becomes complex, is the light switch starting a fire ? etc.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think the Sabbath has become an idol of worship, I was once a Seventh Day Adventist, and spent about 17 years keeping the Sabbath. I am no longer a SDA, and the Sabbath for me is being One in God, or a resting in God, and doing what needs to be done in the Sabbath. I think its best if you do what feels right for you, this way you will have less chance of making an idol out of the Sabbath.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My humble opinion?

As long as you are doing it for the Lord and not puting your actions over God as the pagans and jews did in the bible (sorry, guys, from a christian view) you are good. The Sabaath is just you taking out part of your week, your daily routine to be with god. You can have sabaath once a day if you like.

Thr point is to take a break and spend it with christ.

I dont understand why there is an issue with it. There is a scripture I am really trying to find in the gospels that says, "why put down what your brother is doing to honor your lord. If he wants to fast one one day and you on another, let him. If he wants to keep sabaath on one day ans you dont want to, let them" sorry, huge paraphrase.

Sabaath isnt meant to replace worship. It is worship. You are taking that time to be with god. Nothing less.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
From a Jewish perspective, and because "Sabbath" is a Jewish word and concept, a gentile is not under any obligation to observe the Sabbath. The early church gradually walked away from the Sabbath during the 2nd century c.e. and replaced it with "the Lord's Day" to recognize and observe the belief in Jesus' resurrection. The church by the end of the 1st century was already observing the "agape meal" whereas they would meet, so the transitional base was already there by then.

Mr. Beebe

From a Jewish perspective, and because "Sabbath" is a Jewish word and concept, a gentile is not under any obligation to observe the Sabbath. The early church gradually walked away from the Sabbath during the 2nd century c.e. and replaced it with "the Lord's Day" to recognize and observe the belief in Jesus' resurrection. The church by the end of the 1st century was already observing the "agape meal" whereas they would meet, so the transitional base was already there by then.

The Bible says the Sabbath was made for man (Mark 2:27), not exclusively for the Jew. In fact, the Sabbath was made 2500 years before the Jewish nation even existed. The early church never walked away from the Sabbath. Careful study will show that God left us over 80 Examples of Sabbath keeping by the early church in the Book of Acts. There is no scripture that says Sunday, the 1st day of the week is the "Lord's day". There is no scripture that has the believers meeting on the 1st day to eat and have a worship service on a regular basis. They all knew the 4th commandment said to keep Holy the 7th day. So, they were doing as God commanded,,keeping the 7th day Sabbath. Nowhere does the scripture teach to dismiss or change God's law because of the resurrection of Jesus But the Bible does warn that God's law would be tampered with. Daniel 7:25

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
I think the Sabbath has become an idol of worship, I was once a Seventh Day Adventist, and spent about 17 years keeping the Sabbath. I am no longer a SDA, and the Sabbath for me is being One in God, or a resting in God, and doing what needs to be done in the Sabbath. I think its best if you do what feels right for you, this way you will have less chance of making an idol out of the Sabbath.

Religions are the golden calves of their founders. Ideas need to be given bodies of words to be shared, and those bodies become clothed with communal understandings that, inevitably, coalesce into idealistic/idolatrous concepts and practices.

I agree with Tumah: keep the Sabbath [whatever position it occupies in your week (my caveat)] by just relaxing. It's healthy to sit back and swat doubts and resolutions to another day.

b.

Last edited:

metis

The Bible says the Sabbath was made for man (Mark 2:27), not exclusively for the Jew. In fact, the Sabbath was made 2500 years before the Jewish nation even existed. The early church never walked away from the Sabbath. Careful study will show that God left us over 80 Examples of Sabbath keeping by the early church in the Book of Acts. There is no scripture that says Sunday, the 1st day of the week is the "Lord's day". There is no scripture that has the believers meeting on the 1st day to eat and have a worship service on a regular basis. They all knew the 4th commandment said to keep Holy the 7th day. So, they were doing as God commanded,,keeping the 7th day Sabbath. Nowhere does the scripture teach to dismiss or change God's law because of the resurrection of Jesus But the Bible does warn that God's law would be tampered with. Daniel 7:25
In Exodus it states quite clearly that the Law, all 613 of them, were given to us. In other books in the Tanakh, where there are references to other countries, no where does it show up that other peoples are obligated to keep the 613. This belief also carries through into the Talmud as well, which is based on our oral tradition. Even though Genesis says God rested on Shabbat, the actual Law to observe it for us was not given until Sinai.

The terminology of "the Lord's Day" indeed is not found in the "N.T.", but what does that matter? It's not like the early church believed that everything was going to be unchanging. As a matter of fact, the Twelve had to deal with some changes itself and that does show up in Acts. "The Lord's Day" terminology is in existence within the early church during the 2nd century, but theologians simply do not know how and exactly when it started.

So, we as Jews are bound by the Law, but there simply is not one verse nor any tradition in the early church itself that stated that the entire Law had to be obeyed, including keeping kosher, for example.

Mr. Beebe

The terminology of "the Lord's Day" indeed is not found in the "N.T.",

Really? "I was in the spirit on the Lord's day,..." Revelation 1:10

It's not like the early church believed that everything was going to be unchanging.

Jesus said nothing would change from the law (10 Commandments). Matthew 5:18. Does the Bible teach us that God changes? "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that has gone out of My lips." Psalm 89:34 Does the Bible tell us,,, "And God spoke all these words, saying:... [ the ten commandments follow]. Exodus 20:1???

The Bible is clear,,, The Lord's Day is the 7th day. The 7th day is the only day that God has ever hallowed and blessed. And what God blesses, man cannot reverse Numbers 23:20.

metis

Really? "I was in the spirit on the Lord's day,..." Revelation 1:10

Jesus said nothing would change from the law (10 Commandments). Matthew 5:18. Does the Bible teach us that God changes? "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that has gone out of My lips." Psalm 89:34 Does the Bible tell us,,, "And God spoke all these words, saying:... [ the ten commandments follow]. Exodus 20:1???

The Bible is clear,,, The Lord's Day is the 7th day. The 7th day is the only day that God has ever hallowed and blessed. And what God blesses, man cannot reverse Numbers 23:20.
I told you why the Christian observance went from Shabbat to Sunday, so you can have your opinion but that doesn't change the history of what happened. "The Lord's Day" shows up in early Christian writings as an extension of the "agape meal", and the oldest hint of that shows up in the Didache. We know that the observance of Shabbat shifted top Sunday sometime in the 2nd century c.e., but we're not to sure exactly when precisely it occurred and whom made that decision.

Also, the 10 Commandments are just the first 10 of 613 Commandments that we call "the Law", so one simply cannot pull those out as being mandated while one ignores the other 603, all of which are found in Torah. See here:http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm The early church gradually walked away from the full observance of the Law, and this even shows up in Acts with Peter's vision.

Here:

The Lord's Day in Christianity is generally Sunday, the principal day of communal worship. It is observed by most Christians as the weekly memorial of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who is said in the canonical Gospels to have been witnessed alive from the dead early on the first day of the week. The phrase appears in Rev. 1:10.

According to some sources, Christians held corporate worship on Sunday in the 1st century. The earliest Biblical example of Christians meeting together on a Sunday for the purpose of "breaking bread" and preaching is cited in the New Testament book The Acts of the Apostles chapter 20 and verse 7 (Acts 20:7). 2nd-century writers such as Justin Martyrattest to the widespread practice of Sunday worship (First Apology, chapter 67), and by 361 AD it had become a mandated weekly occurrence...
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Day

Mr. Beebe

The earliest Biblical example of Christians meeting together on a Sunday for the purpose of "breaking bread" and preaching is cited in the New Testament book The Acts of the Apostles chapter 20 and verse 7 (Acts 20:7). 2nd-century writers such as Justin Martyrattest to the widespread practice of Sunday worship (First Apology, chapter 67), and by 361 AD it had become a mandated weekly occurrence... -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Day

You obviously are like many, you simply believe what you are told and refuse to take a closer look. Acts 20:7 is a prime example.

Sunday observers have longed used this scripture (Acts 20:7) as their justification for Sunday Observance.

Let's keep in mind that God's days begin and end at the setting of the sun, not Midnight as the Papacy has decreed.

If we examine Acts 20:7 we see that this meeting did not take place on Sunday morning,,,in fact it happened on what out culture would call "Saturday night".

Verse 7 tells us that they met to eat and that Paul spoke until midnight. So, we know it was dark

Verse 8 tells us that "many lamps" were being used. So we know it was dark.

Verse 11 tells us that Paul kept talking and didn't leave until daybreak.. so while Sunday keepers claim Sunday as the day we should observe, Ole Paul was traveling,, and we know the custom of Paul was to keep the 7th day Sabbath (Acts 17:2). Not the 1st day.

So,, we can know for certain,, that the meeting that took place and described in Acts 20:7 took place after the 7th day Sabbath has passed, on what our culture would call Saturday night.

This meeting had nothing to do with God's 10 Commandments or a change of the Sabbath. But the devil and deceived men seen this as an opportunity to deceive others and teach them Sunday Sacredness.....taking their eyes away from the Creator and His Sabbath Commandment.

metis

You obviously are like many, you simply believe what you are told and refuse to take a closer look. Acts 20:7 is a prime example.

Sunday observers have longed used this scripture (Acts 20:7) as their justification for Sunday Observance.

Let's keep in mind that God's days begin and end at the setting of the sun, not Midnight as the Papacy has decreed.

If we examine Acts 20:7 we see that this meeting did not take place on Sunday morning,,,in fact it happened on what out culture would call "Saturday night".

Verse 7 tells us that they met to eat and that Paul spoke until midnight. So, we know it was dark

Verse 8 tells us that "many lamps" were being used. So we know it was dark.

Verse 11 tells us that Paul kept talking and didn't leave until daybreak.. so while Sunday keepers claim Sunday as the day we should observe, Ole Paul was traveling,, and we know the custom of Paul was to keep the 7th day Sabbath (Acts 17:2). Not the 1st day.

So,, we can know for certain,, that the meeting that took place and described in Acts 20:7 took place after the 7th day Sabbath has passed, on what our culture would call Saturday night.

This meeting had nothing to do with God's 10 Commandments or a change of the Sabbath. But the devil and deceived men seen this as an opportunity to deceive others and teach them Sunday Sacredness.....taking their eyes away from the Creator and His Sabbath Commandment.

When I read sentences like the above that I have underlined, while you virtually ignore most of what I wrote, I well know from experience that it is impossible to continue forth with any kind of serious discussion.

Mr. Beebe

When I read sentences like the above that I have underlined, while you virtually ignore most of what I wrote, I well know from experience that it is impossible to continue forth with any kind of serious discussion.

I didn't ignore what you wrote. Your post was simply an attempt at justification of an erring doctrine. The Bible warns that His law would be tampered with in Daniel 7:25, "he shall think to change time and law." The change made to God's law is a Mark of the Beast power that did it,,the Papacy. So,, if the truth is something that turns you off,, then I am not the one you should be talking to, that's for sure.

glori

I didn't ignore what you wrote. Your post was simply an attempt at justification of an erring doctrine. The Bible warns that His law would be tampered with in Daniel 7:25, "he shall think to change time and law." The change made to God's law is a Mark of the Beast power that did it,,the Papacy. So,, if the truth is something that turns you off,, then I am not the one you should be talking to, that's for sure.

Mr. Beebe, you mentioned Dan.7.25, and for the record, those who utilize the common calendar in any wise other than by numbers, including the days of the week, they are in the same error as those who accept that the Sabbath was changed to the first day of the week, because "times" were changed as well as the Sabbath law. And to spit in God's face, where Ex.23.13 tells us not to even let the names of pagan gods be heard out of our mouths, six of the months and all of the days do exactly that, and that is on top of exchanging the holy feasts that were to be eternal for pagan ones under the guise of Christian. As the saying goes, "if you drink the Devil's broth, you may as well eat the meat". I was baptized a Seventh Day Adventist, but I went on to familiarize myself with the whole word of God, and I know that just worshiping on the Sabbath is not keeping it in accordance with scripture. Servile work should not be performed or catered to, and most Churches have an in-house store that functions of the Sabbath. Most Seventh Day Adventist celebrate Christmas and the Passover under the pagan title including the aspects that originate with the title. Those who are called out, are called all the way out. If your church won't conform, then it self determines as the synagog of Satan. So to play back your statement "if the truth is something that turns you off.." then you best put me on ignore,

Mr. Beebe

And to spit in God's face, where Ex.23.13 tells us not to even let the names of pagan gods be heard out of our mouths, six of the months and all of the days do exactly that, and that is on top of exchanging the holy feasts that were to be eternal for pagan ones under the guise of Christian.[/QUOTE

I can see you are bitter. I can also see you like to take the scriptures out of context and make us all "spit in God's face" whenever we write or repeat the name of the month. You are wrong,,, but,, I don't think you care. Your mind is made up. Perhaps you should forego the English language and choose Greek or Hebrew,,, and then move to a local where they speak your language so you can be happy. And by the way,, which field will you be staying in this year for the feast of Booths? And does the farmer know you plan on chopping down his trees and bushes and making a little hut to live out of during the feast? You are building a hut out of bushes aren't you?