• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should a beginner approach the old testament?

sense12

im looking to start reading the old testament in order to be closer to God,be more confident.i also want to gain a better understanding of the old testament as a whole so if anyone can recommend a way of reading it that would help me i would be grateful.

Audie

Veteran Member
im looking to start reading the old testament in order to be closer to God,be more confident.i also want to gain a better understanding of the old testament as a whole so if anyone can recommend a way of reading it that would help me i would be grateful.

Well, you are not seeking an atheist's advice, but
I'd say to approach it as a semi-historical novel with
a lot of magic realism tossed in.

If you want a better understanding, that is.

If you seek confirmation you can get that
wholesale, and any big box church.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
By not thinking of it as 'old', but a Scripture very much still relevant to thousands of Jews worldwide. By reading it as a standalone text than through a Christian vision.

Last edited:

sense12

By not thinking of it as 'old' but a Scripture very much still relevant to thousands of Jews worldwide. By reading it as a standalone text than through a Christian vision.
what do you mean by reading through a christian vision?do you not believe Jesus is coming back?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would seek out help from the people that first created the Old Testament. I would seek out people who are Jewish, not Christian if you really want reliable answers.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Some general thoughts: Do not try to rush through. The Hebrew Scriptures are complex, and played a number of roles for their parent society. Some are books of law, and you will need a lot of political and historical background to see why they might look as they do. Others are meditative; a psalm is meant to be contemplated, rolled over and over on the tongue, originally as song and verse. Go slowly, and master each book as a book in its own right rather than a benchmark of how far you have gotten. Pay attention to side notes and marginal explanations, or some passages will be hopelessly confusing.

The history books must be read in order to make sense (Joshua through II Chronicles) and Genesis and Exodus should also be read in order, probably first. But otherwise, there's no reason to necessarily go in order, and you might consider reading some of the shorter and more accessible books (such Ruth, the Song of Songs, or Tobit) early on to get you acquainted with reading ancient texts before tackling the "harder" ones.

Of course, you can speed-read your way through and be done in a few weeks. But you won't really get what all the fuss is about if you do. God is, in His own words, found in stillness and patient pursuit of knowledge. Religious texts are by nature esoteric, and it takes an investment of time and flexibility of thought to get the full measure of their value. I would say this of any scriptural tradition, but it is certainly true of the Hebrew Scriptures/Christian Old Testament.

If you are willing, I would suggest reading it with a quality companion book. The Oxford Study Bible is a nice edition with relatively recent, consensus-driven background information. Some other favorites of mine are Walton's Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament and Boadt's Reading the Old Testament.

Good luck! All the above is just advice; there isn't actually a wrong way to do what you are doing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Read it, a manageable chunk at a time, analyse what you read, anything that causes concern do some research, then make up your own mind.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
do you not believe Jesus is coming back?

Let me take the liberty of answering for Rival and, incidentally, for myself - NO!

Why would you automatically assume that you would get responses only from Christians?

You do realize, I trust, that this is not a Christian forum.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would recommend doing it in the context of a group discussion. Not a group led by someone who thinks it's his place to interpret everything for the group, but with a group that invites and allows individual interpretation, discussion, and debate.

The reason I recommend this is because this was the setting that the OT was created for.

sense12

I would recommend doing it in the context of a group discussion. Not a group led by someone who thinks it's his place to interpret everything for the group, but with a group that invites and allows individual interpretation, discussion, and debate.

The reason I recommend this is because this was the setting that the OT was created for.
thanks for your response

sense12

Some general thoughts: Do not try to rush through. The Hebrew Scriptures are complex, and played a number of roles for their parent society. Some are books of law, and you will need a lot of political and historical background to see why they might look as they do. Others are meditative; a psalm is meant to be contemplated, rolled over and over on the tongue, originally as song and verse. Go slowly, and master each book as a book in its own right rather than a benchmark of how far you have gotten. Pay attention to side notes and marginal explanations, or some passages will be hopelessly confusing.

The history books must be read in order to make sense (Joshua through II Chronicles) and Genesis and Exodus should also be read in order, probably first. But otherwise, there's no reason to necessarily go in order, and you might consider reading some of the shorter and more accessible books (such Ruth, the Song of Songs, or Tobit) early on to get you acquainted with reading ancient texts before tackling the "harder" ones.

Of course, you can speed-read your way through and be done in a few weeks. But you won't really get what all the fuss is about if you do. God is, in His own words, found in stillness and patient pursuit of knowledge. Religious texts are by nature esoteric, and it takes an investment of time and flexibility of thought to get the full measure of their value. I would say this of any scriptural tradition, but it is certainly true of the Hebrew Scriptures/Christian Old Testament.

If you are willing, I would suggest reading it with a quality companion book. The Oxford Study Bible is a nice edition with relatively recent, consensus-driven background information. Some other favorites of mine are Walton's Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament and Boadt's Reading the Old Testament.

Good luck! All the above is just advice; there isn't actually a wrong way to do what you are doing.
thank you for your response I've found it really helpful

Earthling

David Henson

Use a good study reference Bible, like this one. Check the footnotes and reference scriptures. If you h ave time compare other translations, which this site is very useful for. Don't take it a face value, meaning that it is often misleading to do so. For example, check out for my own commentary on Genesis Chapter 1. If you come across something that peeks your interest or raises a caution flag research it. The Bible Gateway, which is linked above, is good at giving you lots of different commentaries. Take your time, you may want to take notes. If you use a physical hard copy make marginal notes, underline or highlight passages of importance to you.

Also the term Old Testament comes from a Latin mistranslation of a word that should be covenant, not testiment. There is no old and new division. It's all one.

sense12

Use a good study reference Bible, like this one. Check the footnotes and reference scriptures. If you h ave time compare other translations, which this site is very useful for. Don't take it a face value, meaning that it is often misleading to do so. For example, check out for my own commentary on Genesis Chapter 1. If you come across something that peeks your interest or raises a caution flag research it. The Bible Gateway, which is linked above, is good at giving you lots of different commentaries. Take your time, you may want to take notes. If you use a physical hard copy make marginal notes, underline or highlight passages of importance to you.

Also the term Old Testament comes from a Latin mistranslation of a word that should be covenant, not testiment. There is no old and new division. It's all one.
Thanks for your help I checked out your website and I'm really impressed by your work.what made you decide to make the website.i would also like to know what advice would you give someone on improving there situation on life based on the old testament. Is it faith and work?

Earthling

David Henson
Thanks for your help I checked out your website and I'm really impressed by your work.what made you decide to make the website.i would also like to know what advice would you give someone on improving there situation on life based on the old testament. Is it faith and work?

Thanks for the compliment on the website.

The advice I would give you is patience. Don't give up on yourself. The changes are ongoing. Years from now you will still be improving. Don't let your failure drag you down to the pit. Keep getting back up when you stumble. And you will stumble.

The most important thing, though, is forgiveness. Always keep in mind that the same sin in others that causes them to do you harm, intentionally or unintentionally, no matter how bad, comes from the same sin that you inherited and makes you do the things that may harm others or yourself. No matter how bad or how trivial. All sin, from the greatest to the smallest, comes from the same one sin. You can not expect forgiveness of your sins if you can't forgive the sins of others.

Forgiveness doesn't mean condoning or tolerating bad behavior, it means forgiving. Letting go of that bad behavior. Of giving it up to Jehovah through Christ Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
From Experience,

Be sure you are knowledgeable about the New Testament first; here's why:

The OT leads to the NT with fulfills, completes and even perfects it,

The OT leads to Jesus, so that must be kept in mind when reading the OT.

The Bible employs a variety of STYLES of authorship which adds to its complexity. THE BIBLE IS ALWAYS TRUE, BUT NOT ALWAYS FACTUAL... meaning not of it it is to be taken literally.

The OT is largely a recounting of the historical recounting of God's BATTLE with the Jewish nation {His chosen people Exodus 6:7} to grasp the new concept for them and the world, of Just One True God, One True set of Faith beliefs and by GODS choice through just One "chosen people" {Exo. 6:7} which Jesus then perfects with "MY CHURCH" {Mt 16:18}

Always look for the MORAL LESSON, and use a good Bible commentary to guide you.

May God guide your path.

PRAY before reading seeking the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

Patrick

sense12

From Experience,

Be sure you are knowledgeable about the New Testament first; here's why:

The OT leads to the NT with fulfills, completes and even perfects it,

The OT leads to Jesus, so that must be kept in mind when reading the OT.

The Bible employs a variety of STYLES of authorship which adds to its complexity. THE BIBLE IS ALWAYS TRUE, BUT NOT ALWAYS FACTUAL... meaning not of it it is to be taken literally.

The OT is largely a recounting of the historical recounting of God's BATTLE with the Jewish nation {His chosen people Exodus 6:7} to grasp the new concept for them and the world, of Just One True God, One True set of Faith beliefs and by GODS choice through just One "chosen people" {Exo. 6:7} which Jesus then perfects with "MY CHURCH" {Mt 16:18}

Always look for the MORAL LESSON, and use a good Bible commentary to guide you.

May God guide your path.

PRAY before reading seeking the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

Patrick
thanks for your advice and your recommendation may God bless you