• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should a beginner approach the old testament?

sense12

Thanks for the compliment on the website.

The advice I would give you is patience. Don't give up on yourself. The changes are ongoing. Years from now you will still be improving. Don't let your failure drag you down to the pit. Keep getting back up when you stumble. And you will stumble.

The most important thing, though, is forgiveness. Always keep in mind that the same sin in others that causes them to do you harm, intentionally or unintentionally, no matter how bad, comes from the same sin that you inherited and makes you do the things that may harm others or yourself. No matter how bad or how trivial. All sin, from the greatest to the smallest, comes from the same one sin. You can not expect forgiveness of your sins if you can't forgive the sins of others.

Forgiveness doesn't mean condoning or tolerating bad behavior, it means forgiving. Letting go of that bad behavior. Of giving it up to Jehovah through Christ Jesus.
thanks.it can be hard to forgive but you are right

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
im looking to start reading the old testament in order to be closer to God,be more confident.i also want to gain a better understanding of the old testament as a whole so if anyone can recommend a way of reading it that would help me i would be grateful.

Are you going to follow up by reading the various texts of all the other major religions - or have you already made up your mind that this one is necessarily correct? Seems a difficult task either way to me. :rolleyes:

Earthling

David Henson
Are you going to follow up by reading the various texts of all the other major religions - or have you already made up your mind that this one is necessarily correct? Seems a difficult task either way to me. :rolleyes:

I've done it, it's not that difficult. If the average person stopped watching T.V. for about 6 months they could do it easily.

Milton Platt

im looking to start reading the old testament in order to be closer to God,be more confident.i also want to gain a better understanding of the old testament as a whole so if anyone can recommend a way of reading it that would help me i would be grateful.

If you read it critically and objectively, it will leave you with more questions than answers.

Earthling

David Henson
Arrive at a sensible decision then? And I assume you did look at all the 4000 odd faiths - just in case they had the truth instead?

Have you?

Anyway, you said "every major religion." As for a sensible decision that's for me to decide. I studied briefly the histories of Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shinto and Taoism. The Dhammapada, Gospel of Buddha, Four Noble Truths, The Bible, Analects of Confucius, Mencius, Bhagavad Gita, Pirqe Aboth, Quran, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
Thank YOU so very much;

If we permit it; He will Bless Us Both!]

If I can ever be of further assistance please let me know,

With prayers,
Patrick

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Have you?

I have most of the texts of the major religions - have looked at them but not read them in their entirety (no point) - and have looked at all the various claims of the major faiths. Plus, I have looked at many others too and their claims. I can't accept the texts as being at all factual or in having essential truths (apart from the obvious things that tend to apply to all humans) and can't accept the claims they make - basically because of the lack of knowledge when they were written and the passage of time. The other main reason being that I can't accept anything passing between some imaginary (or actual) divine entity and any human when there are better explanations for such things. And the very existence of so many faiths was the simple factor that raised my suspicions very early on. Many can apparently choose to believe one particular religion - I find that remarkable actually, and when it usually occurs because of one's culture or some 'mystical' experience that hardly means much to me either. The first tends to indicate a lack of freedom and the second possibly an inability to assess one's mental states. I leave the question of there being a divine creator as unanswered and hence see no need to seek any further.

Anyway, you said "every major religion." As for a sensible decision that's for me to decide. I studied briefly the histories of Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shinto and Taoism. The Dhammapada, Gospel of Buddha, Four Noble Truths, The Bible, Analects of Confucius, Mencius, Bhagavad Gita, Pirqe Aboth, Quran, Nihongi, Kojiki, Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu.

Good for you. The only one that makes any sense to me is Buddhism - and Confucius, of which I have read too. No doubt all the others have relevant and good points but it hardly means one has to adopt the whole religion. Religions tend to divide us more than anything else in my view.

PS And in over six decades I have had nothing in the way of experiences or new information to alter my initial views.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
From Experience,

Be sure you are knowledgeable about the New Testament first; here's why:

The OT leads to the NT with fulfills, completes and even perfects it,

The OT leads to Jesus, so that must be kept in mind when reading the OT.

The Bible employs a variety of STYLES of authorship which adds to its complexity. THE BIBLE IS ALWAYS TRUE, BUT NOT ALWAYS FACTUAL... meaning not of it it is to be taken literally.

The OT is largely a recounting of the historical recounting of God's BATTLE with the Jewish nation {His chosen people Exodus 6:7} to grasp the new concept for them and the world, of Just One True God, One True set of Faith beliefs and by GODS choice through just One "chosen people" {Exo. 6:7} which Jesus then perfects with "MY CHURCH" {Mt 16:18}

Always look for the MORAL LESSON, and use a good Bible commentary to guide you.

May God guide your path.

PRAY before reading seeking the assistance of the Holy Spirit.

Patrick
You aren't providing reasons why one should be knowledgable about the NT before reading the OT. You're providing reasons why one should find a workaround to the problem that the Tanach on it's own doesn't actually appear to lead into the NT. Your solution is to read the revisionist version so that you can adjust your interpretation of the Tanach accordingly. The reason for this solution is because Christians believe x, y, z as you mentioned above.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Has the poster started reading yet?

I think we should just leave him to it; after all - he will come to whatever conclusion he comes to, and it may surprise.

I recall when mom took away the internet from our house for the last nine months or so I was there; I sat in front of the living room fire on many a long fall-winter evening and sat reading the (Christian translated obviously) Jewish scriptures. In summer I sat almost morning till evening outside the church on the grass (nicest spot to read, got all the sun). It didn't take me long, most of it was re-reading after the fact, and after most of the way through I'd been convinced that Jesus wasn't who they said he was and I didn't even take it as badly as anyone might think because it was true. I still had faith, I still had my G-d and what more was there? Later of course I rejoined RF and things became complicated again, but I'm just illustrating how things can happen.

Last edited:

sense12

Has the poster started reading yet?

I think we should just leave him to it; after all - he will come to whatever conclusion he comes to, and it may surprise.

I recall when mom took away the internet from our house for the last nine months or so I was there; I sat in front of the living room fire on many a long fall-winter evening and sat reading the (Christian translated obviously) Jewish scriptures. In summer I sat almost morning till evening outside the church on the grass (nicest spot to read, got all the sun). It didn't take me long, most of it was re-reading after the fact, and after most of the way through I'd been convinced that Jesus wasn't who they said he was and I didn't even take it as badly as anyone might think because it was true. I still had faith, I still had my G-d and what more was there? Later of course I rejoined RF and things became complicated again, but I'm just illustrating how things can happen.
i haven't had much time to read it yet but i am going to.i still dont understand your stance on why you're against jesus

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Im not christian but I did read the bible. I started with Genesis, of course. The first time years ago I read it through. I read the gospels again four or so years ago and up to Joshua.

Anyway. If you are learning more about faith, Hebrews is a good start to learn about faith. You can go through the bible in a year plan. If you have a cell phone or tablet you can download the apps for it to.

The late part of genesis, dueteronomy, numbers,
and Leviticus are hard reads. Joshua on up seems more of history.

Psalms and proverbs are nice for quick inspiration. Ecclesiastes is a favorite. NT as well. But, yeah, go through the year-bible plan. That, and if you go to Mass, they go through the whole bible in a year.

Edit: It does sound like you questions are genuine. You can go to the christian DIR so you wont have too many people challenging you unnecessarily in a Q and A forum.

Last edited:

sense12

Im not christian but I did read the bible. I started with Genesis, of course. The first time years ago I read it through. I read the gospels again four or so years ago and up to Joshua.

Anyway. If you are learning more about faith, Hebrews is a good start to learn about faith. You can go through the bible in a year plan. If you have a cell phone or tablet you can download the apps for it to.

The late part of genesis, dueteronomy, numbers,
and Leviticus are hard reads. Joshua on up seems more of history.

Psalms and proverbs are nice for quick inspiration. Ecclesiastes is a favorite. NT as well. But, yeah, go through the year-bible plan. That, and if you go to Mass, they go through the whole bible in a year.

Edit: It does sound like you questions are genuine. You can go to the christian DIR so you wont have too many people challenging you unnecessarily in a Q and A forum.
thanks for your response can you give me a link to the christian dir

amramrafi

Hello friends,

I agree with your opinion but The Tallit is one of the most important pieces of clothing in the Jewish tradition that are used in almost every occasion in the Jewish culture.These shawls are looking attractive and fabulous. These are made in cotton and wools.This traditional garment or prayer shawl is one of those that are very symbolic to the Judaism. It is worn by Jews to signify reverence and communication with god.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Start with Genesis and Exodus. Be aware that the authors use different genres, such as myth, legend, and history, in their story telling. In the end, does it really matter if the stories are historical? It matters what the stories are teaching us about the nature of God, the universe, and ourselves. Also, keep in mind that these books were originally written by Jews for Jews. You will get that bias. But the writings will transcend that.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Hello friends,

I agree with your opinion but The Tallit is one of the most important pieces of clothing in the Jewish tradition that are used in almost every occasion in the Jewish culture.These shawls are looking attractive and fabulous. These are made in cotton and wools.This traditional garment or prayer shawl is one of those that are very symbolic to the Judaism. It is worn by Jews to signify reverence and communication with god.
This reads like a radio commercial written by someone whose native language is not English and who thinks one can sell tallitot as some sort of fashion statement.

:facepalm:

I recommend the Douay Rheims Haydock Commentary Old Testament. Praying to God for the grace of understanding is also something I'd recommend.