• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does Fear play in religion????

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Fear is a definite motivator.....The Holy Quran is filled with the word....I believe the constant reminder of Hell and having your flesh seared is an image and feeling no human wishes to experience. I remember being told by baptist christians that if I don't accept jesus as my lord and savior I will join lucifer in the lake of sulfer

Bird123

Clearly, some people are religious out of fear, and some religions promote fear in their congregations. That is not the case with my Church. In my entire life, I can't ever recall having been threatened with some kind of horrible punishment if I didn't believe or behave in a particular way.

I generally fear more for the person who is mean to me because of my views. :D
So there are never any Hell fire sermons at your church??? Hmmm?? I guess that's possible. One should never fear the drama that comes with expressing your views. That is where most of the learning lives.

Bird123

Fear is a definite motivator.....The Holy Quran is filled with the word....I believe the constant reminder of Hell and having your flesh seared is an image and feeling no human wishes to experience. I remember being told by baptist christians that if I don't accept jesus as my lord and savior I will join lucifer in the lake of sulfer
And what are they really teaching by doing this??? Nothing good!!

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
And what are they really teaching by doing this??? Nothing good!!

I agree and in addition if Jesus ever existed and should he be here today I believe his position would be entirely different than how its expressed today.

BruceDLimber

Unless you're a person raised in baha'i faith and are HOMOSEXUAL. No fear from members then?

Quite properly, no!

Except that they can't have a homosexual marriage, they are to be awarded the same rights and priveleges as any other Baha'i, and various formal statements make this quite clear!

(There may be individuals who ignore this rule, but if so, they're violating the rules and procedures of their own religion and sooner or later, will be called on it.)

Just the facts.

Bruce

BruceDLimber

Shouldn't we be out to discover the truth or facts rather than what we believe to be true? This works well with science.

And what you are ignoring is that one of the central teachings of the Baha'i Faith is the harmony of science and religion, EACH of which is important and EACH of which compliments the other!

I quote just one of many passages from the Baha'i scriptures:

"[E]ven in Europe it is admitted that religion is the opponent of science, and that science is the destroyer of the foundations of religion. While the religion of God is the promoter of truth, the founder of science and knowledge, it is full of goodwill for learned men; it is the civilizer of mankind, the discoverer of the secrets of nature, and the enlightener of the horizons of the world. Consequently, how can it be said to oppose knowledge? God forbid! Nay, for God, knowledge is the most glorious gift of man and the most noble of human perfections. To oppose knowledge is ignorant, and he who detests knowledge and science is not a man, but rather an animal without intelligence. For knowledge is light, life, felicity, perfection, beauty and the means of approaching the Threshold of Unity. It is the honor and glory of the world of humanity, and the greatest bounty of God. Knowledge is identical with guidance, and ignorance is real error.
"Happy are those who spend their days in gaining knowledge, in discovering the secrets of nature, and in penetrating the subtleties of pure truth! Woe to those who are contented with ignorance, whose hearts are gladdened by thoughtless imitation, who have fallen into the lowest depths of ignorance and foolishness, and who have wasted their lives!"

­Some Answered Questions, p. 137
Peace, :)

Bruce

Blackdog22

Do religions scare you into believing? I have a friend who doesn't really believe in what religion teaches. He stays with them just in case. He is covering himself from going to Hell. Is this really what God wants?? There are other kinds of fear. Do you fear you don't fit in when everyone starts talking about religion?? People can be judgmental. Do you fear some will be hateful or mean to you because of your views?? A Being capable of creating universes must be very smart. Would such a Being need to use fear to control people or is it really mankind creating all that fear??? There is not much love and kindness in Fear. Couldn't possibly be God!!

I think that the unknown breeds fear and that God intentionally hiding himself while leaving behind a message of fear is completely insane. Also, I don't fear people being hateful, but the biggest religion in the world is Christianity so your going to come under fire. You will be a target that needs saving, people will exclaim you can do no good without God, people will constantly look at you like you need help. It takes a strong person to be an atheist, going with the flow is what is easy and Christianity is the flow right now.

Bird123

I agree and in addition if Jesus ever existed and should he be here today I believe his position would be entirely different than how its expressed today.
A lot of twisting can happen in 2000 years. Should one really be relying on books or others to discover God??

Bird123

And what you are ignoring is that one of the central teachings of the Baha'i Faith is the harmony of science and religion, EACH of which is important and EACH of which compliments the other!

I quote just one of many passages from the Baha'i scriptures:

"[E]ven in Europe it is admitted that religion is the opponent of science, and that science is the destroyer of the foundations of religion. While the religion of God is the promoter of truth, the founder of science and knowledge, it is full of goodwill for learned men; it is the civilizer of mankind, the discoverer of the secrets of nature, and the enlightener of the horizons of the world. Consequently, how can it be said to oppose knowledge? God forbid! Nay, for God, knowledge is the most glorious gift of man and the most noble of human perfections. To oppose knowledge is ignorant, and he who detests knowledge and science is not a man, but rather an animal without intelligence. For knowledge is light, life, felicity, perfection, beauty and the means of approaching the Threshold of Unity. It is the honor and glory of the world of humanity, and the greatest bounty of God. Knowledge is identical with guidance, and ignorance is real error.
"Happy are those who spend their days in gaining knowledge, in discovering the secrets of nature, and in penetrating the subtleties of pure truth! Woe to those who are contented with ignorance, whose hearts are gladdened by thoughtless imitation, who have fallen into the lowest depths of ignorance and foolishness, and who have wasted their lives!"

­Some Answered Questions, p. 137

Bruce
OK! Knowledge it is!! We will no longer rely upon beliefs. Knowledge and truth march forward!! It's all a test of intelligence.

Bird123

I think that the unknown breeds fear and that God intentionally hiding himself while leaving behind a message of fear is completely insane. Also, I don't fear people being hateful, but the biggest religion in the world is Christianity so your going to come under fire. You will be a target that needs saving, people will exclaim you can do no good without God, people will constantly look at you like you need help. It takes a strong person to be an atheist, going with the flow is what is easy and Christianity is the flow right now.
It's almost enough to make a guy to turn atheist!! Simply because you can not possibly believe in religion, does not mean that God does not exist. If you really look at this world, all knowledge must be discovered. Wisdom is gained on the struggle to attain knowledge. God is not hiding. You just have not discovered God yet. In this time based causal universe even God's actions are not hidden. When you start to understand, you will see how God thinks. Just like in science, this opens doors to new discoveries. All the secrets of the universe stare us in the face. If God exists the God can be found. Understanding is important or you just come back confused. God is nothing like what religion teaches. In any event, Believing has never been important to God. Never let any believer or religion make you think you are less than them. It simply isn't true.

Quite properly, no!

Except that they can't have a homosexual marriage, they are to be awarded the same rights and priveleges as any other Baha'i, and various formal statements make this quite clear!

(There may be individuals who ignore this rule, but if so, they're violating the rules and procedures of their own religion and sooner or later, will be called on it.)

Just the facts.

Bruce

Fun!

So if my gay friend had a same-sex CIVIL marriage in his Baha'i community, it still is okay because it's not a Baha'i marriage, right? ;)

Only God is the judge, and Baha'u'llah expounds His Word... none else. :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I think most of the time it is either desire or need, and sometimes it is fear, and a lot of times it is misinterpretation of natural forces.

BruceDLimber

OK! Knowledge it is!! We will no longer rely upon beliefs. Knowledge and truth march forward!! It's all a test of intelligence.

On the contrary, BOTH knowledge and belief (aka faith) have legitimate roles to play!

Science answers the "How?" of existence, whereas religion addresses the "Who?" and "Why?"

And science presents objective facts, while religion's answers are necessarily subjective and dependant on individual acceptance via belief.

BOTH are important, and NEITHER can serve in the role of the other!

(Indeed, one of the quickest ways to get into trouble is to try to use either in the place of the other.

Science without religion is gross materialism <bigger and better nukes>; religion without science is superstition and witch-burning.)

So they comprise a unified whole.

Simple as that.

Bruce

BruceDLimber

f my gay friend had a same-sex CIVIL marriage in his Baha'i community, it still is okay because it's not a Baha'i marriage, right?

Your question is defective, perhaps because it's incomplete.

If he's NOT a Baha'i, then he's not bound by Baha'i law and can have whatever marriage he chooses.

If he IS a Baha'i, then Baha'i law applies; and it both restricts marriage to heterosexual couples and further requires that EVERY Baha'i getting married have a Baha'i marriage. So in this case civil marriage wouldn't apply, nor would homosexual marriage. (If the partner were of a different faith, that marriage ceremony could be held also provided both take place on the same day <in either order>.)

So one or the other of the two explanations above would hold for this person.

BTW, Baha'u'llah isn't the only exponent of God's Laws by any means!--only the latest one. There have been many others (we know of at least 13 offhand).

Bruce

Last edited:

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Quite properly, no!

Just the facts.

Bruce
Like other homophobic religions, bahai claims homosexuality to be a sickness and can be cured through prayer.......:rolleyes:

ellenjanuary

Sticking my head in a noose, huh?? If you knew God other than from holy books written by mankind, you would never make that statement. As with all knowledge, there is always more to discover. One must look beyond the simple surface. Fear only works with the absence of knowledge. I have no fear.
Just that I almost came outta my hole in January 'cause I knew my Gwynnies wasn't taking care of herself. Tell me you love, without fear. Or if fear is too strong a word, apprehension. Besides, I'm on the road to Judaism now, so the official ellen position is that the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit. But unlike some official church, the church of gwyneth paltrow and all mankind is based upon science and observational data; and endeavors to make Holy Spirit available to all. One time deal. No charge, no commitment, no updates.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So there are never any Hell fire sermons at your church??? Hmmm?? I guess that's possible.
Trust me, it's entirely possible. When your church doesn't even believe in the traditional "Hell," it's kind of hard for anyone to preach Hellfire. For us, it's not a matter of going to Hell. It's a matter of wanting what I might refer to as "sanctification" as opposed to "justification." (We don't actually use those exact words all that often. I just used them because I thought that people reading this might be able to relate to them. If necessary, I can elaborate.)

One should never fear the drama that comes with expressing your views. That is where most of the learning lives.
I'm not sure if you read my last post correctly. I don't fear having my beliefs questioned, nor am I afraid of being presented with a perspective I've never considered before. I grew up being encouraged to question and never being discouraged from doubting someone's words if they didn't ring true to me. What my was trying to say in my prior answer is that I have a pretty much zero-tolerance policy towards rude people, people who can't discuss theological differences without getting nasty. I'm a whole lot more patient than I used to be, but my patience only extends so far. I'm not afraid of jerks. I'm afraid for jerks. I wouldn't want to find myself in their shoes when their rude behavior finally presses one too many of my buttons. :D

Bird123

On the contrary, BOTH knowledge and belief (aka faith) have legitimate roles to play!

Science answers the "How?" of existence, whereas religion addresses the "Who?" and "Why?"

And science presents objective facts, while religion's answers are necessarily subjective and dependant on individual acceptance via belief.

BOTH are important, and NEITHER can serve in the role of the other!

(Indeed, one of the quickest ways to get into trouble is to try to use either in the place of the other.

Science without religion is gross materialism <bigger and better nukes>; religion without science is superstition and witch-burning.)

So they comprise a unified whole.

Simple as that.

Bruce
There is only one reason beliefs exist. Beliefs are the patch that fills the gap when all the facts are not known. Without beliefs, we would lock up just like my old computer. Beliefs can never be as important as facts. If one was really smart, all the feelings, beliefs, and facts could be converted into a set of numbers. True intelligence isn't about materialism and bigger nukes. Past consequences should have taught you this. Of course, we all have many many more lessons before we reach true wisdom.

Bird123

Just that I almost came outta my hole in January 'cause I knew my Gwynnies wasn't taking care of herself. Tell me you love, without fear. Or if fear is too strong a word, apprehension. Besides, I'm on the road to Judaism now, so the official ellen position is that the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit. But unlike some official church, the church of gwyneth paltrow and all mankind is based upon science and observational data; and endeavors to make Holy Spirit available to all. One time deal. No charge, no commitment, no updates.
Is love really about getting??? Why should there be apprehension?? Perhaps you do not understand love. Think Unconditional Love. It is the only real true love.