• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does Fear play in religion????

waitasec

Veteran Member
hell is symbolic of mans common grave. Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 says "for the living are conscious that they will die ;but as for the dead they are conscious of nothing at all,neither do they anymore have wages,because the remembrance of themhas been forgotten 6 Also their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished,and they have no portion in anything that has to be done under the sun.10 all that your hand finds to do ,do with your very power ,for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in hell, the place to which you are going"

that's funny...you used the OT.
what about the NT? you are subjected to the new covenant remember

waitasec

Veteran Member
certain religions teach that hell is a place of torment it is not a bible teaching jesus was even spoken of being in hell fot 3 days clearly then it must be symbolic of mans grave

Matthew 25:41

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Bird123

Because I like reading.

No. in any case, I am not looking for God.

I am trying to discover the truth. But the truth I am searching for, is not the same as your own.

First, it is not my holy book.

Second, I'm always questioning. Sometimes my questions irk some members, and I can't help that. :shrug:
So you irk some members. Irk all you want. Interaction never bothers me. You say you are trying to discover the truth but you aren't searching for the same truth as mine. Hmmmm?? Truth is! No one owns it. Sounds like you are not willing to accept truth unless you agree with it. Shouldn't one also be open to truth unconditional of whether we agree with it or not???:yes:

gnostic

The Lost One
bird123 said:
Sounds like you are not willing to accept truth unless you agree with it. Shouldn't one also be open to truth unconditional of whether we agree with it or not???

Of course, I will accept truth unconditionally...well...if the truth is factual.

But we are not dealing with factual truth when dealing with religious texts or belief in a deity (or deities).

Religious truth is very different to fact, because fact relied on evidences to validate them, while religious truth deals with faith. The only requirement for religious truth is people accepting belief.

Jord

Fear plays a part for some people, especially in some religions where there is a concept of Divine punishment if you do not do as he says.

Myself? Naw. I'm a defiant little bugger; I wouldn't follow a deity out of fear.

Hell? Hee. What a strange concept. So lucky I wasn't raised with it.

Hell? So lucky you weren't raised in it?

assuming i was raised in it, raised in a religious household, does that mean its true for me?

your culture or how you were raised can effect the way you live sure. can it however effect what happens after death?

imagine two people raised differently, one with heaven and hell, one without? does that change their fate after death?

surely the two peoples culture doesn't change their fate.

however if whats true for you, is true for you and whats true for me is true for me, then what if my truth says yours is a lie? is it still true???

Orias

Left Hand Path

assuming i was raised in it, raised in a religious household, does that mean its true for me?

No.

your culture or how you were raised can effect the way you live sure. can it however effect what happens after death?

We don't know :D

imagine two people raised differently, one with heaven and hell, one without? does that change their fate after death?

It just changes their conceptions about "after "death"".

It does to One who does not believe in "fate".

however if whats true for you, is true for you and whats true for me is true for me, then what if my truth says yours is a lie?

Then your truth is a liar.

is it still true???

Sure ;)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
With, with.

I don't know. I don't think there would ever be a concept like Hell, though. Doesn't make sense.

Who knows? Possibly, possibly not. Depends if you believe in different afterlife for different people. Otherwise, it wouldn't. If there's no afterlife, there's nothing afterwards.

See above.

Wouldn't it be more.. religion than culture, if anything?

then what if my truth says yours is a lie? is it still true???
If your truth says my truth is a lie, then is your truth not a lie for calling my truth an untruth?
:confused:

:p Who knows. We'll know when we get there.

Bird123

Of course, I will accept truth unconditionally...well...if the truth is factual.

But we are not dealing with factual truth when dealing with religious texts or belief in a deity (or deities).

Religious truth is very different to fact, because fact relied on evidences to validate them, while religious truth deals with faith. The only requirement for religious truth is people accepting belief.
The most proof for factual truth is based on the physical laws of this universe. Since a spiritual being is not based in this physical world, proof becomes harder to come by, however that does not mean proof is impossible. It generally must come from direct experience. The most I can do is point. You must discover the truth yourself. I do not want people to value beliefs of any kind. Beliefs are no more than a patch that covers the missing pieces of the real truth. I do not value beliefs. I can point in the direction that people need to start their own journey to discovery. All the secrets of the universe are all around us. Understanding will lead you to God. It's all a test of intelligence.