• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many times can you catch CoVid ?

ronki23

The anti-vaxxers and lockdown sceptics say that antibodies from infection are a safer way of getting immune from COVID-19 and that there is no need for lockdown if there is herd immunity via exposure. But if you can catch it multiple times then that crushes the entire argument of anti vaxxers and lockdown sceptics.

Why are people still catching COVID-19 even after getting vaccinated and infected? I don't mean just testing positive but also getting symptoms.

ronki23

exchemist

Veteran Member
The anti-vaxxers and lockdown sceptics say that antibodies from infection are a safer way of getting immune from COVID-19 and that there is no need for lockdown if there is herd immunity via exposure. But if you can catch it multiple times then that crushes the entire argument of anti vaxxers and lockdown sceptics.

Why are people still catching COVID-19 even after getting vaccinated and infected? I don't mean just testing positive but also getting symptoms.
For the same reason people catch colds repeatedly. Immunity is not 100% effective.

But if you have immunity you will get it far less severely.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For the same reason people catch colds repeatedly. Immunity is not 100% effective.

Exactly. And to add on, the virus that causes the common cold evolves a bit every year. Cold vaccines are made using estimates of how it will evolve. This is not perfect. So some years we have very effective flu shots and some years we do not. Since Covid evolves too we may be stuck with it for some time.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Exactly. And to add on, the virus that causes the common cold evolves a bit every year. Cold vaccines are made using estimates of how it will evolve. This is not perfect. So some years we have very effective flu shots and some years we do not. Since Covid evolves too we may be stuck with it for some time.
What you say is certainly true of 'flu' vaccines, but as far as I know there is no vaccine for the common cold.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I may have conflated the two. I thought that they were one and the same.
Not at all. 'flu' sends you to bed with a high fever and can have complications. Though a very bad cold can shade off towards 'flu' in terms of symptoms, basically if you get 'flu' you really know about it.

vulcanlogician

I got covid twice. Once before vaccination and once a year after being vaccinated. You can totally get it multiple times. I'm hoping I've built up some kind of long term immunity from all that.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I got covid twice. Once before vaccination and once a year after being vaccinated. You can totally get it multiple times. I'm hoping I've built up some kind of long term immunity from all that.
Same here. The post-vaccination episode was just like catching a cold. If I had not tested myself, I would never have known it was covid. Whereas the pre-vaccination experience was quite unique and unnerving (literally so, as I abruptly lost all sense of taste and smell for several weeks and was greatly relieved when it eventually started to return).

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
What you say is certainly true of 'flu' vaccines, but as far as I know there is no vaccine for the common cold.
Yep. The common cold is caused by different viruses (including coronavirus) whereas the flu is caused by strains of influenza virus.

ronki23

Then the argument for herd community and exposure immunity falls apart as it is far more likely to kill you if you want immunity that way

exchemist

Veteran Member
Then the argument for herd community and exposure immunity falls apart as it is far more likely to kill you if you want immunity that way
Both immunity acquired via infection and by the vaccine contribute towards immunity.

The concept of herd immunity relies on transmission rates being reduced enough that each infected person on average infects less than one further person. As the number of cases is broadly stable or declining, rather than increasing, that suggests we do have herd immunity now.

Herd immunity does not means there are no more cases, ever, just that those case we do continue to have stay at a low level, rather than growing out of control.

Vee

Premium Member

One of my friends already had it 3 times, with quite stong symptoms, and she's vaccinated.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm glad I was vaccinated because when I got it it was like a two month long flair up of fibromyalgia. Amd then after tye severe fatigue cleared and I was abke to do stuff again I seriously injured and messed up my shoulder and as result have recently applied for disabilities at the urging of a job coach, welfare case manager and my doctor.
Vaccines have never granted 100% immunity and resistance, amd I hate to think of how much worse it could have been for me if I wasn't vaccinated.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

You have some natural immunity after catching it, but it doesn't last forever. The vaccines tend to keep people from getting deadly symptoms.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

My wife has gotten Covid several times. Sometimes with no symptoms sometimes more severe.
Maybe depends on how the virus has evolved when you are reinfected.

I had Covid before the vaccine. First time I got the vaccine I had Covid symptoms again. Second time, no symptoms. They told me at the time the vaccine was the same both times. I suspect as the virus evolves, sometimes your immune system recognizes it quickly and prevents infection sometimes it takes more time for your immune system to recognize the virus and create the right antibodies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife & I are fully vaccinated and caught covid a year ago January with minimal effects and were only down for one week. Both of us are in our 70's.

The only thing I fear is being shot by a jealous husband. o_O